Quantcast

Tubeless on the road!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
The Hutchinson tires (Fusion 2 here) are quite nice but require sealant as air retention isn't great. I think the last set I mounted were 294g and 296g.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i still have some prototype notubes road rim strips i've been using for 5years? now. only worked with mavic ksyrium wheels and michilen pro race tires. but in those years, i've never had a flat.

just bought the dura ace wheelset to try the new tubeless. its just more comfy really. with the stans setup i could pump them up to 130psi, but they felt weird. so from 110-120 felt excellent

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Damn DHS you still have those strips?

Just set up three locals the other day with Hutchinson Fusion 2 tires on various rims and anxiously awaiting their reports. 90psi feels like a sweet spot so far, haven't taken up too much higher yet. The tires do have a more substantial sidewall which makes them feel like they have more pressure in them.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
dude they work.

mike, do you have anymore? i'd love to set them up for some of my racers.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well... got my Dura-ace wheels and tires in today. they were a little hard to mount, but i could pump them up from start with just a floor pump. and they're still holding air.
shimano said no need to run more then 100psi. they do feel pretty damn good at 100. just waiting on a bb, and i'll get the bike altogether tomorrow evening.

using stans sealant. it voids my tire warrenty though.. riiiight..

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i think we've sold 3 or 4...maybe 5 sets of the D/A tubeless wheels. i'm not convinced. product support sucks right now, too. lower rolling resistance, and lighter...though the latter is pretty much negated when sealant is added. i think i'd rather just stick with clinchers and latex tubes.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Is the Stan's sealant able to seal punctures at pressures that high?
In a word, yes. The sealant likes the high pressures to help push it to/through the puncture.

DHS - Hutchinson originally said latex sealants were a no-no but have recently changed their own sealant to be latex based so it shouldn't be a problem now.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
In a word, yes. The sealant likes the high pressures to help push it to/through the puncture.

DHS - Hutchinson originally said latex sealants were a no-no but have recently changed their own sealant to be latex based so it shouldn't be a problem now.
Hutchinson also said that i could only use their tire levers to install them.
i just used my hands. we'll see, my first ride is tomorrow. can't wait

Bikebro

Chimp
Apr 13, 2005
My experience is that Shimano has horrible support for its wheels. As a buyer for a large shop I could stand working with them.

Its interesting that Hutchison continued on with tubeless road after Mavic and Michelin stopped or at least slowed down their work on it. In early 2006 it was said that they didn't feel safe putting it on the market for liability reasons. To get it to were they wanted it would have cost a fortune in reducing manufacturing tolerances on both the tires and rims. I think they were still shooting for normal or slightly higher tire pressure though.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Michelin is supposedly still working very hard on their road tubeless and Mavic has a strong desire to have it work with the existing Ksyrium rims since they have a sealed spoke bed already. Will be interesting to see what they do.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
funny how with the stans strips. i could only run michelin tires with my mavic wheels. nothing else would work

5years it worked too.