Quantcast

Tubeless on the Cheap

fighterkyle

Chimp
Jul 12, 2008
i'm currently building up my new DH bike...an '08 banshee scythe, and i wanna run tubeless wheels on it to cut down on wieght. What are a good set of wheels for a good price that i can run tubeless on. i was looking at some azonic outlaws.

gregmazo

Chimp
Nov 12, 2006
Whistler, BC
You can run any wheelset for tubeless if you use stans rim strip or ghetto tubeless. But for a UST rims, i'd go with a 823 on hope pro 2, you wont get cheaper for a good/real UST wheelset.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
i'm currently building up my new DH bike...an '08 banshee scythe, and i wanna run tubeless wheels on it to cut down on wieght. What are a good set of wheels for a good price that i can run tubeless on. i was looking at some azonic outlaws.
I had no trouble with my outlaws and minion 3c's, but I keep burping and folding the highroller 3c I have on there now in corners, Even running about 40PSI. I think I'm gonna go back to tubes in the back, its more hassle free and I'm getting pissed off when my tire folds over in a corner.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
You can run any wheelset for tubeless if you use stans rim strip or ghetto tubeless. But for a UST rims, i'd go with a 823 on hope pro 2, you wont get cheaper for a good/real UST wheelset.
That is the setup I have now. I have yet to ride the, but with dt revoution spokes, they are super duper light.

I just hope those spokes aren't too thin...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
get some mavic 521 or 321 rims, (no, not the old numbers, what's on their site now) its basically the entry model enduro/fr rims. cheap and very light

they have a nice shape for tubeless, slap on some 20' tubes and you got your self a good ghetto tubeless system.

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
I'm running my Azonic Outlaws ghetto tubeless.
2.5 Minion DHf 3C in the front
2.5 Continental Diesel Protection in the rear

No issues at all getting them to seal or hold air long term. I've had a number of rim bangers while hauling the mail through rock gardens and haven't lost any significant amount of air yet. Couple of burps here and there on the big hits, but just quick burps, I was able to keep riding.

--Ben