Quantcast

Tubeless and Pro XC racing

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Just currious if anyone here knows the stats or percentages on how many guys/gals run tubeless vs tubes on the circut. PB did it for the UCI DH'ers, so currious to see if there's anything similar for XC.

Thanks!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
What does this accomplish (only 1 bead glued)? Lowers chance of burp by 50%?
It helps a lot since one bead has a hard time moving it goes a long way. It's 100% necessary on UST setups as far as I'm concerned. 90% of people have no problem keeping air in UST setups.
The other 10% can't make them work at all.
Pro XC racers absolutely hate UST. I know some of them must be beyond the moon now that Mavic makes pro-issue tubular wheels.

Tubeless has definite performance advantages, but there isn't any real reduction in flat risk- especially with race weight tires with thin sidewalls.

It's like tubulars- the rewards outweigh the risks.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It helps a lot since one bead has a hard time moving it goes a long way. It's 100% necessary on UST setups as far as I'm concerned. 90% of people have no problem keeping air in UST setups.
The other 10% can't make them work at all.
Pro XC racers absolutely hate UST. I know some of them must be beyond the moon now that Mavic makes pro-issue tubular wheels.

Tubeless has definite performance advantages, but there isn't any real reduction in flat risk- especially with race weight tires with thin sidewalls.

It's like tubulars- the rewards outweigh the risks.
That does not make sense. There is a huge reduction in flat risk as pinch flats are largely eliminated. Every one that I know that runs tubeless has experienced that elimination of pinch flats.

Some people don't seem to be able to use tubeless though. Often due to their higher weight and harder riding style. Or they refuse to put enough air in.

When you say Pros hate UST do you mean the heavier tires or tubeless in general?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
That does not make sense. There is a huge reduction in flat risk as pinch flats are largely eliminated. Every one that I know that runs tubeless has experienced that elimination of pinch flats.

Some people don't seem to be able to use tubeless though. Often due to their higher weight and harder riding style. Or they refuse to put enough air in.

When you say Pros hate UST do you mean the heavier tires or tubeless in general?
You can certainly pinch flat a super high tpi race tire, slice right through the casing. Race stuff is fragile, that just the way it is. The main failure you see with tubeless race tires is sidewall cuts.

As far as disdain for UST the tires are phenomenally heavy and stiff and the probability of burping is real high, especially on the 29" setups. Glue needed by many of the riders I know. These are national top 10 guys who ride with vigor and abandon.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Ok I read it right then. I don't use UST tires anymore either. I tend to use Tubeless ready because i always run sealant anyway. I haven.t pinch flatted a tire or burped anything significant but I am lighter than many riders. I have torn through the tread on a few tires and I can sort of remember doing in a sidewall a long time ago. The local North Shore rocks tend to be rounded because the overburden is glacial till. Whistler though has a lot of volcanic outcrop and tends to be pretty sharp. I always run a few extra psi there.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
So if I'm an agressive rider who likes to push through corners and stay off the brakes in rocks, I should stick to tubes?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
So if I'm an agressive rider who likes to push through corners and stay off the brakes in rocks, I should stick to tubes?
FWIW I think it depends on what tires you run, like others have mentioned in this thread. If you run xc "race" tires that are fragile, yeah you probably should run tubed.

I run bigger(2.3F/2.2R @ around 27psi)AM/DH-oriented tires tubeless for trail riding I ride pretty aggressive over rocks/turns, and I've had zero issues(I'm a big dude also, 6' 4" 230lbs if that helps).

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX

I have seen riders pinch flat "converted" tires. They cut clear through the casing rather than just the inner tube.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
To be honest it seems like a pretty big hasstle (dealing with the goop if I get a puncture, worrying about burping, denting rims, etc) for not much benefit (a very slight reduction in weight once slime/goop is involved and less friction which can be negated in tubes by using talc).

I'm 200lbs and ride fairly hard, so not sure this is a great idea for myself. Either way, interesting to hear some points about what the xc whippits are doing these days.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
To be honest it seems like a pretty big hasstle (dealing with the goop if I get a puncture, worrying about burping, denting rims, etc) for not much benefit (a very slight reduction in weight once slime/goop is involved and less friction which can be negated in tubes by using talc).

I'm 200lbs and ride fairly hard, so not sure this is a great idea for myself. Either way, interesting to hear some points about what the xc whippits are doing these days.
It is a lot of hassle, but I don't pinch flat or flat from thorns either.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Lower pressure grips better, thus if you like to corner aggressively you might like tubeless. Once you get it dialed it's great.

I don't run tires that weigh much less than 650g. I know it's not a perfect method of determining how tough a tire is, but typically if it's under 650 for a 29er... the sidewalls are probably too thin to hold up.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
It ain't weight, it's the ride quality that makes tubeless superior to tubes. Better grip and lower rolling resistance. Fewer flats is a side benefit and it can be lighter than a tubed set up depending on what you had before and how you accomplish the set up. It is more hassle. Goo on the trail is not a hassle at all. IF you flat out there, just remove the valve and pour out the goo. Install tube and go. Messy? maybe but you're out riding. Not like you won't need to shower when you get home anyway.

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
Lower pressure grips better, thus if you like to corner aggressively you might like tubeless. Once you get it dialed it's great.

I don't run tires that weigh much less than 650g. I know it's not a perfect method of determining how tough a tire is, but typically if it's under 650 for a 29er... the sidewalls are probably too thin to hold up.
I use about the same pressure with tubes or tubeless. If the tubeless is tubeless ready or DIY "converted" (I rarely do the latter) I usually need to run HIGHER pressure to prevent squirm in the corners.