Quantcast

Truvativ shift guide ?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Looking @ this guide for my dual ring Bullit : http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/guidesandpedals/shiftguide/team.php

I currently have an MRP LRP but it still drops the chain from the middle to the granny sometimes. MRP tech said to adjust the front der. but it shifts perfect and the cage is away from the chain in the middle ring. What has me looking @ the Truvativ is the top block - maybe it helps w/ retention ? Thanx

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have run both the DRS and the shiftguide and in my opinion the shiftguide works much better and is easier to setup. also the thing is tough, very tough. they use a steel back plate that is more likely to spring back if hit hard. also if you hit stuff with it, it doesn't mar like the drs.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Ya I don't see the appeal of the DRS. Too much plastic, roller wears / small bearing and the set-up can be a pain because it has an inner and outer plate.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yep that is what i was saying in the above post more or less. also the shiftguild is is much less expensive. it i remember they are also about the same weight as well

Sep 12, 2004
im running a drs and have been for 2 yrs. anyone who cant set up this guide properly probably cant b/c theyre too lazy to read instructions...

and i find that the roller wears fine for a piece of soft rubber that is in contact with a moving piece of metal at all times. and if it is wearing way to fast, it might be b/c you have the bearing compressed too much and the roller cannot spin freely...again read the setup instructions cause its allllllll in there.

and for anyone saying there is a lot of plastic...well there is, but it also happens to be used on the back side of the guide by the actual chain tensioner part...so when is the last time you hit the back side of your cranks or your drive side chain stay? yah so the chances of you hitting the plastic portions of this guide are slim to never.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Looking @ this guide for my dual ring Bullit : http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/guidesandpedals/shiftguide/team.php

I currently have an MRP LRP but it still drops the chain from the middle to the granny sometimes. MRP tech said to adjust the front der. but it shifts perfect and the cage is away from the chain in the middle ring. What has me looking @ the Truvativ is the top block - maybe it helps w/ retention ? Thanx

i have a brand new one for sale if you want.

peachy

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
vancouver,bc
DRS plus mud and dirt: bearings will get contaminated and the roller will get stuck, destroying the rubber roller that much quicker. mud gets in between the fibre-reinforced plastic wearplate and the aluminum plate.... the plastic plate then puts pressure on the roller.... again the roller not rolling as easily therefore quickly wearing the rubber down. if mud and dirt is out of the question, the DRS is great.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
greenblinker i dont think that anyone here was complaining that if was hard to setup but more so saying that it was not made by the gods, its not perfect. in fact i feel that it have quite a few flaws in the design ( i have owned one myself). it is possible with any guild to drop the chain but in my experience the shift guide is less prone to damage and it keeps the chain on the rings better. the reason for this is that it still has a top plate to ad the front der in keeping the chain on unlike any other shiftable guild.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
....saying that it was not made by the gods...
thats heresy around here bud....

run a Shiftguide on my Reign, its sturdy, works well, setup is fine (can't remember exactly but think i needed to grind down a spot for the Reigns funky linkage, i believe i was advised the DRS needed some mods as well), and cheap. I am running an E-13 guard taken from a DRS tho.

You'll have to excuse the fashion police around here....

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've been usuing a blackspire dewlie for almost two years and suprisingly (at least to me) I've literally never dropped a chain. Once I got the chain kind of stuck when shifting up but that was because I was trying to shift onto the bashguard (which suprisingly doesn't have any ramped teeth).

I've ridden it at mammoth, northstar and whistler and am pretty convinced of its inherent awesome.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have also had good experances with my blackspire guild as well (mines a single ring). their stuff seems to be very high quality, lightish, and alot less expensive than the other companies that they compete with.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
DRS plus mud and dirt: bearings will get contaminated and the roller will get stuck, destroying the rubber roller that much quicker. mud gets in between the fibre-reinforced plastic wearplate and the aluminum plate.... the plastic plate then puts pressure on the roller.... again the roller not rolling as easily therefore quickly wearing the rubber down. if mud and dirt is out of the question, the DRS is great.
It sounds to me like you are someone who may want to perfrom a little more routine cleaning and maintenance on your bike. There is no reason that mud should be able to get between the back plate and wear plate, the wear plate is bolted down to the back plate in 4 places. If that is happening, then there is a setup issue or something else.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
the reason for this is that it still has a top plate to ad the front der in keeping the chain on unlike any other shiftable guild.
Explain to me how the top plate on a shiftguide helps to hold the chain and I will give you a job. Seriously.

By my eyes, the chain is already on the chainring when it gets to that top plate, and even if it was derailed there how would it help to get the chain back on?

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i just use a blackspire beavertail stinger. the lower roller helps to calm chain slap from underneath, reducing chain-whip induced droppage.

the deraileur keeps the chain on up above.

on my DH bike, i run a frankenguide...a mix of E13 and MRP parts...it works...it was free.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't have much experience with other guides but I love my DRS. Like others I have never dropped a chain with it. Also, I like how quiet it is and despite repeated bashing it is still straight. My roller stopped rolling once but that was because I had it too tight. True, I don't get into real slop all that much but my experience with E.13 stuff is that once set up right - which is not hard - it just sits there and does the job.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i haven't dropped a chain with my drs, but i've been recently running into problems with the roller stopping all the time. i may have to take it out tonight and screw with it again to see if i can get it to cooperate like it used to.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
i haven't dropped a chain with my drs, but i've been recently running into problems with the roller stopping all the time. i may have to take it out tonight and screw with it again to see if i can get it to cooperate like it used to.
Just take it apart and clean it. Should be good as new. Just like anything with bearings it will need routine maintenance.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
dw i'm not going to argue in regards to this subject but i did have my drs drop the chain to the small ring many times and i set the guild to your specifications. i then had a shiftguide and i took that through the same places and more and it never dropped the chain.

in my eyes that top part to their guide can help keep the chain on in an up and down plane (the vertical plane parallel with the chainring) because of this it can (and has with me) helped keep the chain on the ring. saying that though i really feel that no shiftable guide should even be called a guide at all as they do not place the chain on the chain ring. also saying that i no longer run a shiftable guide.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Most dual ring guides do the same thing - slightly tension the chain & primarily provide more ring gear wrap. What is interesting about the Truvativ Shift guide (Blackspire Dually as well) is that they use a guide block 180* out from the roller. I put my bike on the stand pulled the shock and cycled the bike thru it travel. When my bike uses more than half it travel the amount of chain wrap lessens really limiting a guides usefullness, but in a compressed position the upper guide block would allow retention from chain jumping. For the DRS lovers to each there own - I had one once and that is it.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
i just use a blackspire beavertail stinger. the lower roller helps to calm chain slap from underneath, reducing chain-whip induced droppage.

the deraileur keeps the chain on up above.
Yea, theres one on ebay ending later tonight...however would I know such a thing?