Quantcast

Truvativ Pedals - Loose bearing? Serviceable?

Anyone else who owns Truvativ Holzfeller Pedals please chime in.

I just noticed that my left pedal seems to "pop" a little when I twist my foot/push outward on the pedal. So I got off and pulled the pedal with my hand back and forth away and towards the crank. Same thing. Seemed like a bearing was loose so I took the C-clip out but I couldn't pull the whole axle out. Do you need another tool or are they not user serviceable?

Anyone else experiencing the same problem? What was your solution?

Thanks

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
azonicbruce said:
Anyone else who owns Truvativ Holzfeller Pedals please chime in.

I just noticed that my left pedal seems to "pop" a little when I twist my foot/push outward on the pedal. So I got off and pulled the pedal with my hand back and forth away and towards the crank. Same thing. Seemed like a bearing was loose so I took the C-clip out but I couldn't pull the whole axle out. Do you need another tool or are they not user serviceable?

Anyone else experiencing the same problem? What was your solution?

Thanks
not user serviceable, they need to be sent back in, mine first became loose, seized, and now are gritty and feel like they have no grease in them at all. Im tossing them at the beginning of the season.

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Just a side note.....Truvativ pedals don't seem to be all they're cracked up to be. I was going to pick up a set until I have heard and read too many stories of them having bearing issues. I checked it out on Truvativ's website and found that they aren't user serviceable.

I'd call Truvativ and send them in.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
i havn't had any problems with mine, but just contact them and see what they can do for you.

good luck
~SGD

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
The thread should have been titles stay away from T-V pedals :( I had a pair too, and some Easton Flatboys, but there are officially no nice pedals ( well I really love the NYC Freeride Races) :cool:

CK Foes

Chimp
Apr 19, 2002
the great northeast
If you have taken off the threaded in circular ring retainer ( i know real technical name for it) then the axel should slide right out with the bearing attached to it. That being said, you might have to use a hammer or other large object to help coax it apart. but if you've unthreaded the retainer ring already, then you've pretty much got them apart.

Well, this is just dandy.

So I call up Truvativ. They NO LONGER handle warranty issues. You now have to call Sram.

Hmm. Ok so I call Sram. After 20 minutes on hold, I get through. Then I'm told that I need to take it to my LBS to do something about it? Oh this is going to be sweet :rolleyes:

So I skip on down to my LBS. The typical incompetence shows and they call Truvativ up. Guess they didn't want to wait so they left a message. Said they'd call me as soon as they got back to them. Hmm, day went by and NADA. Looks like a Cannondale fiasco all over again. :eviltongu :nuts: :dead:

Oct 27, 2003
Madcity Wisconsin
ViolentVolante said:
not user serviceable, they need to be sent back in, mine first became loose, seized, and now are gritty and feel like they have no grease in them at all. Im tossing them at the beginning of the season.
Same thing happened to me, cept i sent em in around 2-3 months ago and nothings come back yet :angry:

Thought they were great pedals tell this **** came up. mine wouldnt even spin more than a quater of a turn if you tried as hard as you could to spin them.

I have yet to find a pair of low pro pedals that hold up to hard riding. ive got some oddessey jim cs on my hardtail that are holding up but ive only had em a little while.

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
Those pedals blow I went through two sets of them and got them both warranteed. They're redesigning them as we speak. I liked the pins and profile, I just can't stand noise when I pedal. I sold the second set of replacements for 30 bucks, I think I got off easy. I use cheap Redline pedals now, and I have a set of Woodman's that haven't seen dirt yet.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Just put them in a hydraulic press, they'll come apart... Try heating them up in an oven then stick an ice cube on the spindle and yank it out. It probablly won't work because the aluminum pedal body will be too efficient as a heat sink but you just might be able to get enough thermal expansion to loosen up the press fit, as long as they didn't use any locktite.

Hmm, call this morning and still no word from Sram. Guess the LBS folks are too lazy to wait on hold in order to get a quick answer. I had to wait 20 minutes but if I would have been a bike shop (I should have just said that I was) I would have had an answer yesterday. :rolleyes: I :heart: LBS's

Dan, actually, the guys at "Crazy Cat" already used a vise and hammer to get the axle out. Bearing was fine so Einstein mechanic says, "Hmm, must be that the C-clip wasn't in all the way" so he cleans everything and puts it back together.... Still doing the same thing. An "A" for effort I guess :thumb:

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
hey Bruce. go to The Bike Company and talk to Lalo. he is a good man and im sure he will help you out. if not just come out to the canyon sometime with it. i am sure i have a bigger hammer than they have!

Big E said:
hey Bruce. go to The Bike Company and talk to Lalo. he is a good man and im sure he will help you out. if not just come out to the canyon sometime with it. i am sure i have a bigger hammer than they have!
Hey Erik, what's up? I'm not too sure I want to go there considering the whole Gemini fiasco thing. Don't know how mad they'd be at me for selling it :nuts:

On the other hand, as soon as I get them in I'll be ready to rock for the Dec. 4 Freeride Festival! I'll be sure to get up there before hand and get some practice! :D

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
azonicbruce said:
Dan, actually, the guys at "Crazy Cat" already used a vise and hammer to get the axle out. Bearing was fine so Einstein mechanic says, "Hmm, must be that the C-clip wasn't in all the way" so he cleans everything and puts it back together.... Still doing the same thing. An "A" for effort I guess :thumb:
10 bucks says that hammer destroyed whatever life was left in the bearings. How are those pedals put together, a press fit spindle on a press fit main bearing then a sliding fit bearing with a c clip on the other end? I'd guess the maing bearing is going out, the c-clip shouldn't do anything other than keep the outboard bearing in place, if it weren't seated all the way you'd feel slop in a radial(???) direction rather than axially. Your LBS gets an A for effort I guess but F for accomplishing nothing. It could also be that the bearing has wallowed out the counterbore where it lives and is able to slop around but the material behind it is still at the manufacturer's spec and the spindle has to be presssed past that area. No matter what the problem is, you've still got problems I guess.