Quantcast

Truvativ Hussefelt cranks squeakin'

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
what could make the cranks squeak on a 2 month old bike? i've been mostly dirt jumping on them....i don't weigh much. i haven't cased much. i don't drop to flat. are the bb's shot? tightening doesn't seem to help. or is this just normal.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
remove the cranks and grease the axle of the bottom bracket where the cranks press on. This might be it.

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
I prefer "pipe dope" for the areas like the crank and handlebars to prevent creaking. (it's essentially teflon paste) It keeps stuff from binding but still allows friction to keep these pieces tight. It also fills larger gaps than grease does.

Grimey

Monkey
Aug 21, 2003
cali
It could be your chainring bolts. Either way I would pull your BB - clean and telfon tape it; clean and lube your splines; clean and lube your pedals; clean and lube the chainrings. Its really hard to find a creak in that area because the creaks seem to magnify thoughout the bike.

tightening doesn't seem to help
You really can't 'tighten' cranks. The proper way is to pull them, then re-torque them down. Usually when they loosen they shift a bit, so when you re-tighten you are not really doing anything.

Do what they said but also take off the pedals and check that there is no grit in the threds. Then, greas the bearings and put the pedals back on. Half of the time when people come into our bikeshop with this problem, it's the pedals and not the cranks/bb.