Quantcast

TRP 12 speed

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
No.

What I'm saying is that if you release a new drivetrain, it had better be dramatically lighter, dramatically cheaper, or shift significantly better. It sounds like the trp option is none of these, it's just different, inherently risky as the company is new, and gold.
If it's cheaper on MSRP it will go down in time. You just need to wait and not think it will be discounted on release.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
X0 shifting... shimano XT cassette. Hard to fault it.
Yeah. I still have 2 bikes running old 9 speed XO shifting.
One's running with a standard 9 speed 105 11-25 cassette and the other with a cheap SRAM 850 9 speed cassette split to 5 speed (12-21)
It's only real weaknesses are that the mech wasn't designed with wide through axle mech hanger designs in mind so when in the largest sprocket on a set-up like that the cable groove no longer lines up with the cable and causes an iffy shift.
I also wouldn't ever want to run it with a wide ratio cassette. and by wide I mean bigger than an 11- 25T. anything wider than that and chanslap get's pretty ridiculous in the 11T

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Trp de derp. Do we have to buy the ebike version of the drivetrain for it to perform passably?

I’m down for the wide range 9 speed set-up.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Heard lots of bellyaching over the shift quality and finickiness of the setup you just mention. Still running 9spd which has been flawless. No personal experience. :)
GX shifters are decent, NX derailleur is the biggest pile of shit I have held in my hands. My 1998 LX derailleur that I ran on my DH bike has less play out of the box. WTF???? It seems to shift OK, but wow, loads of lateral play at the main pivot.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
GX shifters are decent, NX derailleur is the biggest pile of shit I have held in my hands. My 1998 LX derailleur that I ran on my DH bike has less play out of the box. WTF???? It seems to shift OK, but wow, loads of lateral play at the main pivot.
Do you regularly hold piles of shit in your hands? :P

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've got the BOX 11-50t 9speed groupsett on my commuter ebike, works really well, I've been tempted to chuck it on other bikes.
Not the BOX two groupset by any chance?

I tested that for the UK distributor when it was first released and found it's durability, strength and wear rate absolutely attrocious.
every component was absolute junk

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Interesting, about 1000km on my Box Two and not a problem so far, chains no where near the wear limit and not a single gear change stuffed up, clutch still sweet as?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The 15T sprocket on BOTH the BOX TWO cassettes I tested wore to the point of slipping in less than 200 miles. The first started slipping at almost exactly 100 miles and when I fitted the second (with a new chain) I made a point of using the 15T sprocket less.
I don't know if it was an issue with that particular first batch of cassettes but I gave up on it after 300 miles. By then the mech was no longer straight (and not from a hit) it no longer shifted well and the shifter felt awful. Chain was ok wear wise. Shifting was never as nice as 10 or 11 speed shimano out of the box.

Just for comparison 10 speed Tiagra/Deore cassettes last me a couple of thousand E miles. Zee/XT mechs and shifters go on for years trouble free.

My current Zee drivetrain was actually quite a bit cheaper than the BOX TWO. it doesn't have the wide range cassette. But I don't need a super wide cassette on a normal bike so anything above a 42T is only any use if I switch the motor OFF. I run a 36T chainring and an 11-36 cassette for off road, an 11-25 for commuting (2 wheelsets and swap chains when I swap wheels) and spend most of my time in the small end of both those cassettes. The close ratio road cassette is so much nicer for commuting than the stupid large jumps the BOX cassette had as are the closer ratios on the 11-36 off road

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
I have been running the TRP system for over a month and have not lost my chain once. I would suspect the type of suspension would have something to do with the loss of the chain. I was running Shimano XT 11 speed before this and the shifting is a little stiffer than the XT. I don't like the down shift. You can only drop one gear at a time. Kinda of like my Zee. It has taken some time to get use to. All in all it's been a good change.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
We only have 3 different cassette freehub standards for 12 speed mtb cassettes. hopefully TRP will come up with their own new design.

Just what we need a bunch of "brilliant" engineers thinking their metal interface is better than the other guys to drive prices through the fucking roofs......