Quantcast

TRP 12 speed

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
No Cassette yet? Otherwise would be nice to have an alternate player in there.....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i didn't see anything about it, but the site doesn't seem to be "official" yet, some of the links (ie data sheets) still point to the 7spd docs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i just googled it, there were spy shots of it from this time last year posted on bikerumor, and they were running it with an e13 cassette, xtr 12 speed, as well as eagle.

interestingly there was one bike running the TRP derailler with an XO1 shifter.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I looked at alternative options for my commuter bike but found that a discounted SRAM or shimano setup was dramatically cheaper than any of the "budget" options. I paid $90 for a SRAM NX derailleur and GX Fr/rr shifters. A TRP or Suntour setup would have cost the same. Why bother?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I looked at alternative options for my commuter bike but found that a discounted SRAM or shimano setup was dramatically cheaper than any of the "budget" options. I paid $90 for a SRAM NX derailleur and GX Fr/rr shifters. A TRP or Suntour setup would have cost the same. Why bother?
Heard lots of bellyaching over the shift quality and finickiness of the setup you just mention. Still running 9spd which has been flawless. No personal experience. :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
mountain bikers: bitches that there aren't enough drivetrain options
:new company releases a drivetrain:
mountain bikers: bitches that the new drivetrain options aren't as good

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
mountain bikers: bitches that there aren't enough drivetrain options
:new company releases a drivetrain:
mountain bikers: bitches that the new drivetrain options aren't as good
No.

What I'm saying is that if you release a new drivetrain, it had better be dramatically lighter, dramatically cheaper, or shift significantly better. It sounds like the trp option is none of these, it's just different, inherently risky as the company is new, and gold.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Heard lots of bellyaching over the shift quality and finickiness of the setup you just mention. Still running 9spd which has been flawless. No personal experience. :)
Don't care, this setup brand new is the same cost or less than a used 10 or 9 speed setup, which is totally ducked up. I'd much rather have new stuff than decade old junk, but that's the price lx from 2003 commands

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No.

What I'm saying is that if you release a new drivetrain, it had better be dramatically lighter, dramatically cheaper, or shift significantly better. It sounds like the trp option is none of these, it's just different, inherently risky as the company is new, and gold.
Don't care, this setup brand new is the same cost or less than a used 10 or 9 speed setup, which is totally ducked up. I'd much rather have new stuff than decade old junk, but that's the price lx from 2003 commands
saving these quotes for the next time you post a thread asking why you can't get 3 different generations of incompatible boutique components to work together because you don't wanna spend an extra ten dollars

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
X0 shifting... shimano XT cassette. Hard to fault it.
I was always X.0 shifters, X.9 rear derailleur and XT cassette and chain for my 9 speed setup.

I finally moved my last bike off that sort of combo earlier this year.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
mountain bikers: cries when they can't afford something
We have endless discussions of what the best deal on a fucking bike, car, BBQ, taco, etc. is, but here you are willing to buy something not proven that provides no obvious advantage? In my parts the TRP derailleur/shifter costs 299 € MSRP, an XTR shifter/derailleur combo is 280 €, XT 135 €, SLX 90 €, all 12-speed.
But I am all up for that you buy one and tell us how good it is. If it offers something that makes the price seem justified I am all ears. And no, that Gwin co-developed it is not an argument. ;-)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
We have endless discussions of what the best deal on a fucking bike, car, BBQ, taco, etc. is, but here you are willing to buy something not proven that provides no obvious advantage? In my parts the TRP derailleur/shifter costs 299 € MSRP, an XTR shifter/derailleur combo is 280 €, XT 135 €, SLX 90 €, all 12-speed.
But I am all up for that you buy one and tell us how good it is. If it offers something that makes the price seem justified I am all ears. And no, that Gwin co-developed it is not an argument. ;-)
it's called economies of scale. TRP is producing smaller quantities of product than either shimano or sram, and i don't foresee them getting much, if any, OEM business soon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
saving these quotes for the next time you post a thread asking why you can't get 3 different generations of incompatible boutique components to work together because you don't wanna spend an extra ten dollars
I thought the DH forum is just where people go to complain about non-DH bikes and components.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I thought the DH forum is just where people go to complain about non-DH bikes and components.
I don't really have authoritah to do anything, but I'd be OK with like two or three forums- bikes, non-bikes, non-bikes that people get angry over