Quantcast

Troy Lee

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Who's done a D2 crash replacement?

I took a poor line off a rocky drop, and did a perfectly good lawn dart impersonation.
Outer shell is surprisingly still good and uncracked inside and out, but inner polystyrene is smooshed and needs to be replaced.

Should I prep the KY for impending rapage, or is their pricing actually decent?

Might just upgrade to a moto lid, as I rock dirtbikes too...

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Well, if the helmets foam crushed then the helmet did it's job! It is meant to conform to your head. If you were riding a moto helmet, it might not have conformed, therefore it would have not prevented your head from decelerating and would make your brain smash your skull (AKA: a concusion).

You have an astm 1952 rated helmet if you have a tld d2. If you ride moto, get a dot rated helmet (from what I hear, snells aren't soft enough for slow speed falls on moto bikes).

Get the right helmet for the right job. Your head is priceless.

I am now stepping off the soap box.

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
crash replacement on a D2 is as follows:

send your helmet to TLD
they will inspect it
if they deem it junk(which it sounds like they will)
TLD will offer your 35% off the purchase of a new D2 and destroy your old helmet

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I never understood why you could get a crash replacement, I guess they want you back in their lid, but geez, come on, it did it's job, you aren't a vegetable, buy a new one!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I think the crash replacement is more of a loyalty thing. I understand that the helmet has done its job, but now I need a new one. I could just purchase a different cheaper helmet or I could be loyal to TLD and purchase another great helmet from them and they keep my business.