Quantcast

Troy Lee T bone VS 661 Kyle Strait

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
Im about to buy some new knee pads.I been very happy with my first set of Kyle Strait I bought 4-5 years ago but the last set I bought last June died prematurely before the end of the summer...The mesh disintegrated itself and the pads were completely trashed a few months after I bought them.They not only looks like crap now but the straps arent doing much anymore and the pads are useless now.

Anyhow long story short I was very disappointed... It was probably just a lemon but I dont really want to buy another pair to find out if it was and I figured it was time to try something else.

The Troy Lee seems to be using an heavy duty NYLON instead of a mesh and Im thinking it might be better for my needs.Dont really care if it breath or not...Beside I either wear moto pant or long nylon short over the pads anyway.Sooooo, anyone has had good experience with the T bones? Hows the fit ? Similar to the 661 ?Are they low profile-issshh ?

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
KS' are more comfortable, but slip after a crash/slide. Also they stretch 2 sizes after a year of washings. The sides tear up after a while too. I switched to TLD's, and so far no problems. Not as comfortable, but they seem to be holding up for the last 4 months, except the little strap holders. You can wear them under pants.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
KS' are more comfortable, but slip after a crash/slide. Also they stretch 2 sizes after a year of washings. The sides tear up after a while too. I switched to TLD's, and so far no problems. Not as comfortable, but they seem to be holding up for the last 4 months, except the little strap holders. You can wear them under pants.
This. I found the T-bones made the backs of my knees kind of sore if I wore them all day, even with the backs cut out. The Kyle Straits are more comfy, but less durable, and definitely stretch out...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Well, I tried getting a set of the kyle straits, but after getting a mismatched pair (one large, one medium), sending them back, and getting a new set with torn stitching, I was over 661 QC so I ordered a set of TLD pads after cableguys recommendation, who has given me pretty good accessory advice in the past. I'll post up if he's full of sh1t! :)

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
Well, I tried getting a set of the kyle straits, but after getting a mismatched pair (one large, one medium), sending them back, and getting a new set with torn stitching, I was over 661 QC so I ordered a set of TLD pads after cableguys recommendation, who has given me pretty good accessory advice in the past. I'll post up if he's full of sh1t! :)
Will, you might also look into the Fly Moto knee guards (the $50 ones). Highly recommended by someone who races with them. He says once you get used to them, you don't feel them. Plus they help to protect your knee from twisting. He wears them under pants or with shorts. When my TLD's wear out, I am going to get these.

http://www.flyracing.com/products/race-wear/protection/moto-knee-guards

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Will, you might also look into the Fly Moto knee guards (the $50 ones). Highly recommended by someone who races with them. He says once you get used to them, you don't feel them. Plus they help to protect your knee from twisting. He wears them under pants or with shorts. When my TLD's wear out, I am going to get these.

http://www.flyracing.com/products/race-wear/protection/moto-knee-guards
eh, its ok, I already have the TLD's on the way, and to be honest as long as it sits snugly around my knee, doesn't twist, and allows for movement a little easier then my crap fox launch pads, I'll be a happy camper, I'm just teasing you! I'm pretty confident they're gonna work well.

Too bad 661 quality control is crap, otherwise I'd get them, but I've only heard horrible things about the stitching and how they wear out from people who have them. Bit of a turn off really. They feel pretty damn good new, thats for sure!

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've had both and also crashed hard in both, so here's a lengthy and opinionated write up :thumb::

I've found the TLDs are more durable for sure, but they also slip off more easily and for some reason smell worse after a while and even when they're washed twice (once inside out) still don't quite get rid of their funk they develop after the first few rides. I had to replace them after a season due to inability to get rid of the nasty smell.

The Kyle Straits are more comfortable, don't slip off as easily in a crash (unless you're super sweaty) and what little funk they do develop over time can be temporarily washed out with one shot in the washing machine. They are in way worse shape after 1 season than the tld pads, so I'm going to replace them this year due to inability to keep them together.

I need to buy some new pads for this year, and in looking at the two, I'll probably go with the Kyle Straits again. I also think I know how to keep them from falling apart as fast: When washing them, make sure the straps are velcro'd to the pad. When they're flopping around in the washing machine they get snagged on the sides of the pads and tear them apart.

My wife washed hers every time with the straps tight and I didn't and after a year hers are in way better shape.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Two seasons on the TLD.

They have been in a a few tumbles, but I haven't noticed any movement after crash. They are still in good condition except a small tear on the thinner outside pad. I wash mine each week.

They can be a little uncomfortable after a full day's riding especially on hot days. Cut the back out of them.

In general, they are comfortable and give good knee protection. That's enough for me.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
GOOOOOO tomcats. Unfortunately they run incredibly small, and like all things 661 the straps are about 6 inches too long, but hey, tons of padding. I pedaled uphill for about 20 minutes today before I realized I had them on (I usually put them in the camelbak for the ride up)

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
I've had 3-4 seasons on the TLDs with no real issues.... I've never really had them slip too bad in a crash, the tops tend to slide down a bit if not wearing pants over them. If you aren't riding purely downhill, I find that they tend to hurt the backs of your knees and feel a bit too bulky for just riding around. I've only had one crash in them to have some damage done, but I don't think any other kneepad would have helped since i ended up with a huge compression cut (pop!) above my knee and it just started feeling better now and the crash happened in october...

I ride with a good mate of mine a lot, who has T-bones (I have Evo's) and every crash i have ever seen him have has ended with his pads sliding down around his ankles, leaving his knees f*cked. They fit him well, as tight as they can be without being restricting, yet they never stay up.

On the other hand, my Evo's have never slipped or let me down in any way :thumb:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I've had my knee gashed and cut (to the point of needing stitches) THROUGH the 661 ks guards. I have no idea how or why, but I wouldn't say they are the best of knee guards. For lighter crashes they are okay, but for higher speeds / harder impacts, they tend to either slide out of the way or you get injured through them.

From what I can gather, neither the TLD or the 661 are a whole lot better than each other. The 661 is more comfortable/flexible and breathes better but that's about it.

Biffff

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
I've been running 661 Evo d3o's for the past 2 seasons: Very comfy, they don't slip and they are in good shape. One has a tear in the mesh, but otherwise is perfectly fine.
I ran the KS's a few years ago and they didn't hold up as well as the Evo's.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
question for the knee pad wearers...what about BMX knee pads? They've been on the market for oh, 20 years longer than MTB "dirt jump" knee pads, you would think they'd have them figured out.

Just wondering, because the BMX stuff lacks some of the glam and therefore costs 50% as much.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I had a few issues with the t-bones slipping (only happened on hot days - sweat related is my best guess). But I mostly missed the shin coverage.

I am going with the lopes knee/shins this season. Looking forward to more coverage.

Tayrob

Monkey
Jan 3, 2008
I own both and wear both often.Everybody's right on the whole "661's are more comfy then the TLD's."But,after a year on both,the Kyle Strait's slip down while riding due to the fact they've stretched out,where the TLD's stay right in place.The TLD's seem to use better material and don't rip as easy,also I dunno if it's my short legs or what but they cover a little more then the 661's.I've been wearing the 661's where I have to hike back up,and the TLD's for racing and shuttle days.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
kali, fox, and Race Face are all offering similar pads as well now, FYI...
Yeah I thought about the RaceFace but Im really not a big fan of the bright yellow logo..kinda looks like crap IMO ...but they use the same mesh fabric and Im not sure if they would hold better...I had a chance to try the POC last summer, great pads but they are nearly double the price and quite frankly, I dont think they would last longer...

Vena

Monkey
Aug 30, 2007
Italy
I love my T-bones

2years on them, never slipped after crash.

The back issue is true...they annoy the back of your knee...but i cutted the back part and now they are confy also during hot summer days and keep stay in place.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
661 Tom Cats fit great and stay up all day whether you are pedaling up or shredding down the mountain, and I prefer a hard shell... But the hard shell is NOT riveted to the pad, so one or two good tears in the cloth surface and the hard cup can literally fall out of the pad. WTF? Double WTF because that hard shell is actually drilled for rivets!

The perforated neoprene does start to tear/disintegrate after awhile, similar to my friends' 661 KSs. My sense is 661's quality is "one season" quality... you can squeak out 2 seasons, but your gear will be holey and haggard.

I'm thinking about running a pair of pro-tec or rector skate pads, if i can find some to try on. Looks to be twice the protection at half the price of 661. Fit, stability, durability and cooling remain to be seen.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
I'm thinking about running a pair of pro-tec or rector skate pads, if i can find some to try on. Looks to be twice the protection at half the price of 661. Fit, stability, durability and cooling remain to be seen.
KCDC skate shop has pro-tec pads, was looking at them when I was in to pick up a new lid. Bring your shred stick for the indoor half pipe. Conveniently located across from the Brooklyn Brewery.

Thread worthy addendum: Going on my 4th season with TLD T-Bones with no end in sight.