Quantcast

Troy Lee D2 sizing?

RaID

Turbo Monkey
im looking at getting a D2
it appears that im in-between sizes

the M/L fits ok except its a little tight along jaw, especially compared to my current M Giro Mad Max, and a Remedy i tried.

on the other hand the L/XL D2 is bit too loose overall on the head, abit too much moving around

Now the question is

If i go with the M/L will the pads around the jaw wear in a bit over time to reduced this tightness? or can i get smaller jaw pads?

If i go with the XL/XXL will the extra pads provided to make the "custom" fit make the helemet that much smaller that it wont move around?

my head is 59-60cm just above my eye brow line

i guess i could always go with the Remedy and not make a compromise for fit

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Resurrecting this thread as I'm interested in a D2. I currently ride a medium giro remedy that fits well but a bit snug. Virtually all of my helmets are mediums. My head measures about a 23.5" but I'll reconfirm when I get home. Looks like a M/L should work for me? Do the D2s typically fit loose or snug?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Resurrecting this thread as I'm interested in a D2. I currently ride a medium giro remedy that fits well but a bit snug. Virtually all of my helmets are mediums. My head measures about a 23.5" but I'll reconfirm when I get home. Looks like a M/L should work for me? Do the D2s typically fit loose or snug?
I did the exact same swap years ago after I lost my M Remedy in a sketchy creek crossing, and went to the M/L d2 and it was great. Comes way up on the back of your neck, unlike the Giro, but super comfortable.

edit: I would have a D3, but I'm between their M and L sizes :(

edit edit: Bell's full 9 fits good if you're between M and L in the D3.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Awesome! Do you mean it's lower on the back of your head, or higher up? Was the Giro snug on you?

My remedy fits fine if a little snug, but I realized it's like 10 years old the other day, and I've wrecked once or twice in it... I like the transfer 9 and cipher, but the d2 is a fair bit lighter and not too much more expensive.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
D2 is cut higher in the back than the Remedy, almost where the base of your skull starts. It doesn't really affect anything, it was just the first thing that I noticed as being different.

D2s are a good deal, and look freakin awesome, but I went with the slightly uglier, and better fitting (than d3) full 9.
I also wanted to upgrade to the ASTM DH status ;)
Found one on super closeout for $120 bucks a year or so ago.

And the Giro did fit me snug, someone once said I had chipmunk cheeks in that helmet...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
The newer D2s have ASTM DH ratings...1952 or whatever...I think.

I'd do the Full 9 if I had the cash, but the cheaper helmets are more in my wheelhouse. Even the D2 is a bit pricey, but it might save some weight, and Jenson and I aren't on speaking terms right now. 120 is a helluva deal.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
The newer D2s have ASTM DH ratings...1952 or whatever...I think.

I'd do the Full 9 if I had the cash, but the cheaper helmets are more in my wheelhouse. Even the D2 is a bit pricey, but it might save some weight, and Jenson and I aren't on speaking terms right now. 120 is a helluva deal.
Ehhhh, they aren't as robust as the new generation of DH helmets is my point. But anyway, D2 is a sweet helmet. I am similar to you. I want the fancy stuff, but I wait until it's a screamin deal

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Why don't try the cheap offerings from Specialized (Dissident) or Bell (Transfer 9).
No carbon, much cheaper then the top end offerings, safer then the D2.
Never had a D2, but one of my best friends. The helmet went from snug and perfect fit to feeling like a cooking pot in half a year.
The cheek pads are really low quality foam.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
My wife just ordered a D2, looking forward to fondling one.

I where a Fly F2 Carbon, was less expensive than the Troy Lee offerings and I absolutely love the fit of it. They're blowing out some of the older stock at a few online retailers for $150ish

Yeah, it's a "moto" helmet and not a "bike" helmet, but I really like mine.

http://www.btosports.com/p/FLY-RACING-2013-F2-CARBON-ACETYLENE-HELMET?gdftrk=gdfV27323_a_7c1416_a_7c3889_a_7c20770/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GS_holidayproducts&utm_content=19246931282&utm_term=&matchtype=&adposition=1o1&device=c&adtype=pla&product_id=20770&product_country=US&gclid=CjwKEAjwvbGqBRCs3eH4o5C74CYSJAB3TODsUe3lJuWZEg6VHCCuBC_Pi_qxQvYhBICEIXYngs4ZEhoCmS7w_wcB

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's a great deal, and that helmet is super light...but it's also SUPER ugly...and as I mentioned on the lift, I haven't had the best experience with Kali products. My knee/shin guards split right down the middle without ever wrecking. Luckily I bought them from JRA and they were replaced at no cost. They fit well but I wouldn't buy them again for lack of QC.

Ehhhh, they aren't as robust as the new generation of DH helmets is my point. But anyway, D2 is a sweet helmet. I am similar to you. I want the fancy stuff, but I wait until it's a screamin deal
D2s are not as robust? Or do you mean the older ones? I know some were not 1952 rated, and that's a no-no in my book.

Why don't try the cheap offerings from Specialized (Dissident) or Bell (Transfer 9).
No carbon, much cheaper then the top end offerings, safer then the D2.
Never had a D2, but one of my best friends. The helmet went from snug and perfect fit to feeling like a cooking pot in half a year.
The cheek pads are really low quality foam.
The dissident has a weird roc-loc function in the back that I thought was incredibly stupid in a full face helmet. I also seemed to be in between sizes, nothing fit until the entire thing got too small. The transfer 9 I had my eye on, I've always liked giro helmets, and bells are practically the same thing.

Interesting on the D2 quality notes...I always thought they were better, that's why I wanted one...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, it's a "moto" helmet and not a "bike" helmet, but I really like mine.
I'm hooked on the 1952 standard. It makes sense to me as it's more substantial than a CPSC bike helmet and less stiff than a DOT helmet. Plus, they tend to be lighter and better ventilated, while still offering substantial protection.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I'm hooked on the 1952 standard. It makes sense to me as it's more substantial than a CPSC bike helmet and less stiff than a DOT helmet. Plus, they tend to be lighter and better ventilated, while still offering substantial protection.
yeah that's fair. I honestly don't really look too closely at the standards, maybe next time around I will.

Mine is fairly light (probably not carbon XC lid light, but it's lighter than a few older moto helmets I have kicking around) and it's never crazy hot, it actually is fairly decently ventilated.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
yeah that's fair. I honestly don't really look too closely at the standards, maybe next time around I will.

Mine is fairly light (probably not carbon XC lid light, but it's lighter than a few older moto helmets I have kicking around) and it's never crazy hot, it actually is fairly decently ventilated.
I think it's quite a personal thing, but the logic behind the standard worked for me.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Agree, everyone has their own logic behind a lot of purchases. Ironically I've always just trusted helmets, though they protect our most valuable asset.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
The newer generation of DH helmets (d3, full9) is more substantial than a D2. If you check them out side to side, you'll see that the D3 sits between a D2 and a moto helmet. Pretty sure the D3 weighs more and it's not for looks.
I was not aware of any changes to the D2, as far as I know it's the same helmet as in pre- D3. I'm not saying it's a bad helmet, but being the one of the lightest and smallest outer shell around, something's gotta give.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Whelp, thanks to @sti_hacka's link, I found a Transfer 9 in size L for $80, free shipping, in a color that I can stand to have on my head. Nice link! Should fit my 58.5cm head, and it's a bell which has fit me well in the past.

4130biker

May 24, 2007
image.jpg
Here's a side by side of the retired d2 and full9. You can see why my full 9 was on close-out by the paint job :rofl:

4130biker

May 24, 2007
Yeah, the "bowling ball head" has always been the downfall of bell/giro. The have gotten better at disguising it, but it's still there!

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Agree with the D2 build quality comments. The standard of materials, gluing, QC etc. on a D2, I've seen better on £50 helmets. They look good but that's about it. If the newest Giro had been out at the time I bought the D2 I would've gone for that instead. The D3 seems better, but still seen mates getting the superglue out for rubber edging and so on. TLD = fashion>quality IMO, won't buy again.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!!

Cycling is ALL about the fashion.

HTF else could you convince someone to wear a £300 plastic toilet seat round their neck sober ?