Quantcast

trek liquid 10 - Good purchase??

MOBEONER

Chimp
Apr 17, 2011
WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN
I have been browising around and going back on forth on what bike to start off with so i just said the hell with it and got a 2002 trek liquid 10 from a local guy for $460.. according to the owner this bike has been in storage most its life and it shows. he said he rod the bike for two years then it was put away. I tried getting it for as cheap as possible but he wouldnt go lower than $460..

Do you guys think it was a good purchase? Also what should i be looking forward to replace before it fails.

the only thing i see that looks extreamly beat up is the seat, besides that everything else seem pretty solid.

Last edited:

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
"is this a good bike"? Depends on your intended purpose.

For DH/FR? No. For trail riding? Sure.
Its a good beginner bike. Ride it, break it, then buy something else. Have fun!

MOBEONER

Chimp
Apr 17, 2011
WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN
I got a question. My rear shock is a fox float R talas and it's got- EXTEND, 1/4 and 1/2 on the adjustment knob, problem is in ether setting I feel like the shock bottoms out with every bump I take and I feel the hit. I am 6 foot 220lbs and the bike is a 18"... Is there something wrong with the rear shock or am I just a fat f*ck?

I just bough the bike, not sure what type of riding I want to do, I just wanted to start riding and figure it out as I go!!

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
have you set up the shock with the proper air pressure? if you're bottoming out on every hit, chances are you have too little air in the shock. purchase a shock pump, set the bike up for about 25% sag, and you should fix the bottoming issue.

MOBEONER

Chimp
Apr 17, 2011
WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN
have you set up the shock with the proper air pressure? if you're bottoming out on every hit, chances are you have too little air in the shock. purchase a shock pump, set the bike up for about 25% sag, and you should fix the bottoming issue.
Is there a how to thread on doing this? I am sure applying pressure with the pump is pretty easy I just want to make sure I do it right.. Thanks 4 the help!!

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
Take it to your LBS. Thats the best no fvck up method.
Agree with this. You'll need to visit a shop to buy a pump anyway, it's worth a few bucks to have them show you how to use it and give you an initial setup of both air pressure and your shocks adjustments. Ditto for your front fork.

The rear shock has a lock-out. When your siting on the bike, lock is to the left. I use to run 110 psi. I was 6-3 220 when I had my liquid 55. Unfortunately these frames are prone to cracking on the lower end of the seat tube below where the front derailuer mounts.

You got a good deal for a bike that just sat around. I learned to ride really technical DH(Bootleg) on this bike and shortly after having the rear triangle replaced I built a DH bike.

Use it, have fun and ride. Nothing more anyone can tell you.

MOBEONER

Chimp
Apr 17, 2011
WILLIAMSBURG BROOKLYN
I just read the manual, seems easy enough, according to the manual I have to set it for my weight so if I drop it off at a bike shop I wonder if they will ask me my weight and set it accordingly or just pump it charge me and push me out!!