Quantcast

treck deisel?

NovatoSCFR

Monkey
Aug 27, 2004
NOVATO CA
Hey I'm looking at a deal on a 2002 treck deisel frame and am wondering if they are a good ride. I did a searchg but couldn't come up with any answers on it's ride. I'm currently on a bullit but I want to move up to a dh race frame. Would this be a good choice?

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
First off, its Trek. Second off, sure but IMO, I dont like Trek. There are much much better DH frames that you could run like Santa Cruz or Turner or even the Demo 8 or 9 are nice frames.

Apr 1, 2002
Freezin my arse off!
NovatoSCFR said:
Hey I'm looking at a deal on a 2002 treck deisel frame and am wondering if they are a good ride. I did a searchg but couldn't come up with any answers on it's ride. I'm currently on a bullit but I want to move up to a dh race frame. Would this be a good choice?

you couldn't find anything because you spelled both words wrong.
Try searching for TREK DIESEL
I know BMX-Man and myself have given feedback.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
Private Joker said:
you couldn't find anything because you spelled both words wrong.
Try searching for TREK DIESEL
I know BMX-Man and myself have given feedback.

Brian!

you live. excellent. :) how are things?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
rpk1988 said:
First off, its Trek. Second off, sure but IMO, I dont like Trek. There are much much better DH frames that you could run like Santa Cruz or Turner or even the Demo 8 or 9 are nice frames.
Lots of people dislike Cannondale as a brand, too... but you don't seem to mind riding one of them. (Nor do I, mind you.) So why shouldn't he try a Diesel? Maybe there are reasons he shouldn't, but if you're gonna slam the bike, giving a reason is always a classy move.

MD

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
List:
Single Pivot with funky roller thingy that getting parts for is a pain.
Too many good deals around to buy THAT bike.
The bike was soooo bad it only lasted one year in the line as a DH bike.
Noisey!!!!
Flexy swingarm(serious not being funny)

Notice not one pop about it being a Trek.

Go find an older V-10, M-1, Chumba, better bikes for about the same price used.

theFOOT

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
nowhere
trek is good, but the diesel's are not (maybe thats why trek isnt making them anymore), i have ridden on one and i hated it, i'd go for a better frame design like the v-10, giant dh, or kona stab, but please dont get a diesel, they suck

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
dhtahoe said:
List:
Noisey!!!!

well my bb7 is a single pivot with a funky roller and just about everyone whos ridden it has said its pretty sweet. and my buddy has a diesel(i think its donnies old one) and he seems to like it.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
rpk1988 said:
Umm, good advice... :nope:

I think the Diesel is a great design. How well it was executed I don't really know as I haven't ridden one before.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
if you are wanting a hight picot with no pedal feedback. there are other choices.

cantifield, balfa, bcd, others

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
MikeD said:
Lots of people dislike Cannondale as a brand, too... but you don't seem to mind riding one of them. (Nor do I, mind you.) So why shouldn't he try a Diesel? Maybe there are reasons he shouldn't, but if you're gonna slam the bike, giving a reason is always a classy move.

MD
When did I say anything about Cannondale. Re-read my post.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
lovebunny said:
well my bb7 is a single pivot with a funky roller and just about everyone whos ridden it has said its pretty sweet. and my buddy has a diesel(i think its donnies old one) and he seems to like it.
Great Bike didn't they go out of business? Another bike I just don't see what the hype is all about. And yes I have ridden both.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
rpk1988 said:
When did I say anything about Cannondale. Re-read my post.
You didn't say anything about Cannondale. But you ride one; it's in your sig. I was assuming you liked it, even if lots of others think it's a yuppie POS. Much like many people think about Trek. Maybe you hate it, though...

MD

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
dhtahoe said:
Great Bike didn't they go out of business? Another bike I just don't see what the hype is all about. And yes I have ridden both.
Going out of business doesn't mean their design was bad, necessarily. Could have been an awesome design with ****ty business practices or vice-versa.

But it is nice to hear from someone who's ridden a Diesel and has experience on many different bikes for comparison.

I only did 2 runs on one and liked it a lot. To my knowledge, BMXman only sold his b/c he couldn't run a 36t ring on it with the roller pulley on (roller's removable). Kept having chain derailment issues. They went away with a 40t ring, but for what we were riding at the time, he wanted a 36.

MD

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
dhtahoe said:
List:
Noisey!!!!

1. I never needed parts but they were all commonly found pieces.
2. It was a good handling/riding DH bike as long as you get the floater.
3. Flexy swingarm??? You obviously never owned one!
4. Noisey?? Again I doubt you ever owned one. Much quieter than a Intense or Foes to name a few.....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
MikeD said:
To my knowledge, BMXman only sold his b/c he couldn't run a 36t ring on it with the roller pulley on (roller's removable). Kept having chain derailment issues. They went away with a 40t ring, but for what we were riding at the time, he wanted a 36.
MD
exaclty...just know that if you want to ride it with the pulley...in order to keep the chain on you need to run at least a 42T ring or larger...D

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I rode one around a shop.

To it's credit, it didn't have the upper chainguide roller thing, but it was the goofiest feeling bike I have ever been on.

Blew my mind.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
theFOOT said:
trek is good, but the diesel's are not (maybe thats why trek isnt making them anymore), i have ridden on one and i hated it, i'd go for a better frame design like the v-10, giant dh, or kona stab, but please dont get a diesel, they suck
Kona stab...you're kidding right?

They didn't sell any because they didn't market it properly...they didn't market it at all! Plus, it was really expensive to make which is why it was so expensive to buy. I think Trek learned a lesson.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ChrisRobin said:
They didn't sell any because they didn't market it properly...they didn't market it at all! Plus, it was really expensive to make which is why it was so expensive to buy. I think Trek learned a lesson.
Exactly! who's going to pay $3000 for a frame that's a first year frame from a company that everyone loves to hate just because hating them is the "cool" thing to do....D

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
dhtahoe said:
No they got pushed out of business. Made a deal with procycle and got f'd. I'm on a demo 9 now and still miss certain things about the balfa.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Lexx D said:
No they got pushed out of business. Made a deal with procycle and got f'd. I'm on a demo 9 now and still miss certain things about the balfa.
I don't know if this had anything to do with it but in 2003, a lot of the BB7 frames were badly made.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I have one and I like it. It's torsionally stiff, very well built and engineered(finish quality is nice). For being a pretty beefy frame, it's fairly light(10.5 lbs w/ BB cups, without the CTE, on a scale that weighed on the heavy side). I'd say get it.