Quantcast

Travis Triple Ti Intrinsic, worth it?

Christiaan

Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
Weesp, The Netherlands
I am in the market for some new DH forks, as the 2003 Dorado seems to have died on me.

I was thinking Travis Triple Ti Intrinsic 180mm version. Are they worth it? Does the damper hold up, will the black stanchiontubes stay black or will it wear easily?

Short story, new Boxxer or Travis, or wait for the 2007 models?

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
no, get the new boxxer instead, if not wait for the air 888. i've seen the travis triple being worked on at too many races. hell the last race Mr George Ryan of cannondale had to run a boxxer WC instead, becaue the travis kept failling.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Our team rode the 180mm Ti intrinsic this year and although we had some issues with an internal oil seal occasionaly failing we were quite pleased with it's performance. Yes the black stanchions do keep their color.
It seems like all high end forks these days have issues at one time or another, I have a seen many Fox 40s, Boxxers and 888 break down this season as well so I don'feel the Travis was any less reliable than those other forks.
Having said that I would wait for an 07 Travis they will have updated the Intrinsic system and they will lower the axle to crown height which was an issue for some people, they have also decided to go back to gold color stanchions for 2007.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
did that dorado crap out on ya? i believe i saw ya at winterberg bout this time last year with one, right?

heh.. manipoo
Yeah you could have seen me at Winterberg, but Im not sure who you are...
Did you just see me ride or something?

The dorado was a bitch, it was a bitch before I had it tuned and it gave me even more problems after it was tuned.
After a while the fork was good but after all the trouble it gave me I didnt want it anymore and sold it.
I had a manitou fork on my 4x race bike too and it sucked balls as well...
Never again.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
ive been running the travis all season and it felt amazing out of the box and still does. The only problem ive had was my adjuster knob seizing up and i was able to just pop it off and grease the 2 ball bearings it sits on and is good as new. The black has stayed black and almost every race this year has been super muddy.

Robusto

Monkey
ive been running the travis all season and it felt amazing out of the box and still does. The only problem ive had was my adjuster knob seizing up and i was able to just pop it off and grease the 2 ball bearings it sits on and is good as new. The black has stayed black and almost every race this year has been super muddy.
Yup, Im not riding the TI, but so far its still running fine after the race season..

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
The black has stayed black and almost every race this year has been super muddy.
I laid my bike down in a real rocky section of trail the other day during a crash and I thought for sure I had ruined my stachion, but I just rubbed it with my finger and the scratch went away. I the tub is still black and perfect.

I really like my Travis and I'm keeping my 06 for 07.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
On the Pinkbike video there is a little info from Manitour about the improvements of the Travis. I think both the Boxxer and the Travis will be more reliable forks for 07 as it will be their second year on the new platforms.

dgrif

Monkey
Apr 12, 2006
colo spigs
Yeah you could have seen me at Winterberg, but Im not sure who you are...
Did you just see me ride or something?

The dorado was a bitch, it was a bitch before I had it tuned and it gave me even more problems after it was tuned.
After a while the fork was good but after all the trouble it gave me I didnt want it anymore and sold it.
I had a manitou fork on my 4x race bike too and it sucked balls as well...
Never again.
I was up there with paul one weekend. went last weekend, they added a lotta new ****.. all that slopestlye & northshore ****, looks pretty good.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I was up there with paul one weekend. went last weekend, they added a lotta new ****.. all that slopestlye & northshore ****, looks pretty good.
Ok cool I remember that, yeah theyve added a lot of slopestyle stuff, not really my cup of tea but its nice to ride something different every once in a while.
If only they would invest in a better DH track...

zstyle_22

Monkey
Jan 1, 2004
Centennial, Colorado
8 guys on our team ran them all season without a single problem or overhaul. We are non sponsored so it was purely rider decision, and everyone was more than impressed. We will be running them again.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Our team rode the 180mm Ti intrinsic this year and although we had some issues with an internal oil seal occasionaly failing we were quite pleased with it's performance. Yes the black stanchions do keep their color.
It seems like all high end forks these days have issues at one time or another, I have a seen many Fox 40s, Boxxers and 888 break down this season as well so I don'feel the Travis was any less reliable than those other forks.
Having said that I would wait for an 07 Travis they will have updated the Intrinsic system and they will lower the axle to crown height which was an issue for some people, they have also decided to go back to gold color stanchions for 2007.
my 07 specs say its A-C the same 562/585mm as 06.

where did you hear it?

thanks alex

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I thought the A-C height problem has to do with the reversed arch as it will hit the down tube if they lower the A-C i.e. no internal design change would help.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
my 07 specs say its A-C the same 562/585mm as 06.

where did you hear it?

thanks alex
Actually not sure if the A-C will change on the 7" but it was to be lowered on the 8" for 2007. Some of the racers up here on the Canada Cup circuit were running that prototype this year, 8" travel with gold stanchions and about the same A-C as a 7" Intrinsic 2006 model.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Ok, my 180 Travis Triple Ti is currently set at 21.6" A-C height. The reverse arch is not even close of hitting the downtube under full compression. Out of the box, they are set pretty high at 22.5" which is the same as the 8" boxxers.

Mr. Furious

Monkey
Jul 23, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ok, my 180 Travis Triple Ti is currently set at 21.6" A-C height. The reverse arch is not even close of hitting the downtube under full compression. Out of the box, they are set pretty high at 22.5" which is the same as the 8" boxxers.
What did you do with your Boxxer? I gotta get rid of the 888 I have :bonk: