Quantcast

Trails we miss

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
This post is being prompted by a chat me and several buddies had after a day of riding, I suppose we were feeling a bit nostalgic, but we began to talk about trails we used to ride that are no more (either the result of being plowed, closed, etc) So I wanted to ask you monkeys for some trails you miss, what caused their demise, and post any pictures you have! To get things kick started I'll throw out the dirt jumps at white castle, which was paved into a parking lot for a Nissan dealership (cue music), as well as a favorite of mine at Diablo, a trail called deliverance...what else do people miss out there?

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i remember the killington course....sometimes trails are lost and nothing can be done to save them, other times finding a reason can be much harder...come on monkeys i know there's more of you out there who have lost trails not by choice

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
experimental trail in boulder county, colorado.

it got "closed" when a landowner in the area (but not where the actual trail was) hung piano wire at various heights laced to trees. needless to say there was an on-going ethics debate after that.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
The not-so-secret dh run at Skyline/Ringwood. Bethpage trails versions 1 - 5. Sunnyside. White Castle. Central Park sessions. The short-lived GWB jumps.

The Piff Pit lives on, however.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
The not-so-secret dh run at Skyline/Ringwood. Bethpage trails versions 1 - 5. Sunnyside. White Castle. Central Park sessions. The short-lived GWB jumps.

The Piff Pit lives on, however.
Your favorite skyline ringwood trail is absolutely way too dangerous to ride. I live 10 minutes from skyline. The bridges back there are collapsing because they are rotted through. The drops are huge, the landings don't exist, and the world cup drop is about to die any day.

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Your favorite skyline ringwood trail is absolutely way too dangerous to ride. I live 10 minutes from skyline. The bridges back there are collapsing because they are rotted through. The drops are huge, the landings don't exist, and the world cup drop is about to die any day.
Hence my post appearing in a "trails we miss" thread.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Ya know after poaching, Cable Line , Darkside and CB ala Colin Bailey trail at BigBear way back when i will say those are sorely missed not just from me but a bunch of socal riders back in the day. :rockout:
+1 Totally miss 'em.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Super Secret at Keystone and The French Creek trails in Breckenridge. Super Secret was closed by the Forest Service. French Creek is being turned into multi-million dollar home sites. Super Heros 3 has footage of the big jumps at French Creek. It was shot the day I moved to Breckenridge in 2002. I'd been in town about 2 hours when some guys saw my bike and asked if I wanted to go riding.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Tohelluride: all the pirate trails on the town side
Lower radiator
Telluride slide, super secret, ****ty boyfriend
PA: Nate's trail and hanks trap

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
The Killington Beauty and the Beast Course. Now sadly replaced by a SuperD style course. :-(

YARDSALE
So I'm going to drive down from Maine in a couple of weeks to pedal my ass off? I'm like Murtaugh: too old for this sh*t.

Seriously, that's too bad: that old course was great, last time I ran it was in 2004.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
All plowed dirt jumps by my house, beechwoods V1, 2, and 3, Greens, Fox hill V1 and V2, Hilltop, and again with white castle

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
Ya know after poaching, Cable Line , Darkside and CB ala Colin Bailey trail at BigBear way back when i will say those are sorely missed not just from me but a bunch of socal riders back in the day. :rockout:
riding fall line with alf last week made me feel pretty nostalgic. needless to say it was tons of fun and convinced me to save up for a trail bike:thumb:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
The old Nationals course up in Idaho @ Schweitzer/Sandpoint, Silverton, CO what happened there?, Mach 5 i think is what it was called in the CA, Bay Area even though i only hit that 1 time, but it was a fun trail. Durango Nationals course ROCKED for sure!!

Dang , you beat me too it MT

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Bostons Fenway trails
QFT...I did my first rhythm section there.

True. Still some great trails over there and some really good reworked trails.

But there are probably 15 that are long long gone....:dead:
I haven't been on that side in probably 5 years. So sad. Not really even worth the hike anymore. I miss the super steeps right under the lift.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ahh, memories of JuanJo chasing off the WC drop on his Hardtail.

I miss all the Van Cortlandt DH, years of neglect and erosion as well as a good deal of downed trees ended an era.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I haven't been on that side in probably 5 years. So sad. Not really even worth the hike anymore. I miss the super steeps right under the lift.
Some great trails over there.......just not as many. There is plenty of steep stuff just alot of the middle mountain stuff is gone.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
The triple chair should be fixed in a few weeks, we'll be running the triple a ton after that. We've been working hard on that side of the mountain, clearing old, old trails. "Call Box 7" is reopened as is "The Chute". Also there is a seldom used traverse from the pond to just under the Triple Chair. We take that to unholy a lot.:thumb:

Fool

Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Ahh, memories of JuanJo chasing off the WC drop on his Hardtail. I miss all the Van Cortlandt DH, years of neglect and erosion as well as a good deal of downed trees ended an era.
JuanJo! That guy was nuts. Forgot about Van Cortlandt! You remember when someone (might have been GR?) tried to run a bootleg DH race in there?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
The old Nationals course up in Idaho @ Schweitzer/Sandpoint ... what happened there? ... Dang , you beat me too it MT
Schweitzer abandoned it right after the 2005 Nats and got out of mountain biking altogether for a few years. They started back up last year but now only have 3 trails of any note - - one of which is most of the old beg/sport course.

Most of the pro/ex course got obliterated for development and building a new chair. But Altar Boy and the Bowling alley are still there - - scoured out with five years of snow-melt - - no dirt left, just medicine-ball-size rocks. Hit it Sunday - - it's real wild and wooly now.

Oh, and they're roughing in a new pro course that will make the old one look tame.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2009
Bowlda
experimental trail in boulder county, colorado.

it got "closed" when a landowner in the area (but not where the actual trail was) hung piano wire at various heights laced to trees. needless to say there was an on-going ethics debate after that.
I'll second that and add Gold Hill and Santa Cruz. I wish I'd moved to Boulder earlier.