Quantcast

Trailriding a street frame?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
I am looking at building up a street specific frame or getting a street complete (riot, mob, night train, atomlab, top, etc) and want to know if it will just feel way too unstable due to the short rear end and small feeling frame for occaisional trail riding? I would be standing up and pedaling with the bike as a SS, (which I already do with my Chameleon, which is SS) so seat post extenstion will not be an issue. This is not going to be a primary trail bike, but sometimes I won't feel like dragging my 39lb bottlerocket around. I will likely be running a Pike as well and will be replacing the Chameleon.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
There's no formula for it. The Riot and Mob are technically 4X/DS frames, so no excuses there. The only things really holding me back are street tires, 65mm travel fork, and no gears. Just gotta build accordingly...

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I have an STP with holy rollers and a stupidly long seatpost. It rips the mountain up and down as long as its not wet. then the tires really get scary. I keep gears on it because it is also my "XC" bike. 4 inch fork is about right, I feel like it would get too twitchy with anything less.