Quantcast

Trail Garbage

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
What do you do with all the crap that accumulates at your trails?

Sports drink bottles seem to be the most common. It is probably best to haul it out and dispose of it all properly; many trails just have a pit and bury it. I guess there really aren't that many options...If you have any ideas , post them up.

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
It is, I basically stated that too. I just noticed today out at there that there was crap all over. I go out occasionally on sat mornings and gather it all up. I guess I am trying to find an easier solution that doesn't exist...

cornfed

Monkey
Jul 30, 2007
Exactly. That is my concern. There is growing concern about the development in the area and one easy argument is dirt jumpa's are pigs. I'd like to bring some cans out there, but I think they would get vandalized or something. At least it would be easier to carry crap out if it was all in one place.

Blown04GT

Chimp
Apr 14, 2008
Raleigh, NC
we used to just have plastic trash barrels all over and every week we would take them to a dumpster behind a grocery store nearby. It takes persistency to keep the place clean but like mentioned above, that's what gets trails shut down.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
It is my belief that trash is a major facor in getting spots shut down
#1 factor at our trails.... We installed a trash can and empty it every week or 2. Even with the can there, people throw crap all over the place. A few of us go around picking it all up every time we ride.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
we have this policy: no one leaves trash on the spot. no one. period.
everybody takes home the bottles/cans/wraps/... they use.
works like a charm.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
the weird thing about trash cans is if you put em out, YOU have to be the one to haul em out all the time. when the cans get full, people will leave trash next to the can because they assume someone will take care of it. plus homeless people or others start using them as well.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I am lucky my ride area is remote and hidden. I get so tired of people screwing things up all the time. Messing with the trail, leaving trash, pissing off the hikers and horse riders, etc.

Things have gotten even quieter out there lately. There is a large african bee hive right next to the trail. Good thing those Wallys are on bikes so they can get away. Sometimes I hear screams.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
we have this policy: no one leaves trash on the spot. no one. period.
everybody takes home the bottles/cans/wraps/... they use.
works like a charm.
Definitely one of the unwritten laws/commandments of trails. If people can't understand the pack out what you pack in then they have no respect and shouldn't be riding your jumps anyways. I'd say no to trash cans too - people will just throw stuff in and not take personal responsibility for it. Although if you have trails with a steady solid crew and you each take turns bringing it out then that will work.

I definitely agree with Frankenschwinn. Trash can make the most beautiful place look like a dump and is the first thing anyone sees that isn't into dirt jumps 100% - so if a parent, land manager, official stumbles onto the place - the better it looks the better overall you'll be. I go as far as transplanting small trees and bringing in any extra shrubs or stuff to make our place look as natural as possible.

stino

Monkey
Jul 14, 2002
belgium
I go as far as transplanting small trees and bringing in any extra shrubs or stuff to make our place look as natural as possible.
nice, now I know that I'm not the only one crazy enough to do this :]
what really works nice for the overall natural look as well: covering the sides of jumps with plants (the kind that stay low but are always green, even in winter; don't know the name in english, looks like this:
)

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
What I've found is that no matter wether you put trash cans at the trail or not, you're going to see that there are about 2 people out of 20 who care enough to do anything about it as much as you do. Trash at trails bothers me, so I pick it up. I don't expect anyone else to do it, so it's not worth bitching about when they don't. Just be a good steward and kharma will follow you twofold.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Stino and Don have the idea... always take away what you bring in. And even clean up sh!t that others may have left each time. Personally, I hate the idea of having a trash can at the trails.

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
Trash cans are a double-edge sword. Our experience has been--if you don't have one, people throw trash on the ground scattered all over creation. If you do have one, they think it's not their responsibility to pack anything out--someone else will do it for them. And to keep a place looking nice someone has to empty it. The few that take care of the place lose no matter what. I can't stand idiots who carry a full bottles or jugs to the trail, but can't carry it out empty--it weighs even less empty, and you can smash so it's smaller!!!

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
nice, now I know that I'm not the only one crazy enough to do this :]
what really works nice for the overall natural look as well: covering the sides of jumps with plants the kind that stay low but are always green, even in winter; don't know the name in english, looks like this:
That looks like ivy. We put grass seed on the backs and sides of our jumps. As much to help hold them together (very sandy soil) as to make them look nice.