Toys For Tots Rejects Jesus Doll

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is NOT an Onion article, but it sure could be:

Link

Toys For Tots Rejects Jesus Doll
Marine Reserves Program Declines 4,000 Talking Dolls; Says Its Recipients Come From All Faiths

(AP) A company that sells Bible-quoting Jesus dolls said it was surprised and disappointed that the Marine Reserves' Toys for Tots program turned down its offer to donate 4,000 of the talking dolls.

"I believe as a churchgoing person, anyone can benefit from hearing the words of the Bible," said Michael La Roe, director of business development for Valencia-based Beverly Hills Teddy Bear Co. and its one2believe division, which makes the line of Bible character dolls.

Bill Grein, vice president of Marine Toys for Tots Foundation, in Quantico, Va., said the offer was turned down because Toys for Tots doesn't know anything about the religious affiliations of the children who receive its gifts.

"We can't take a chance on sending a talking Jesus doll to a Jewish family or a Muslim family," Grein said Tuesday. "Kids want a gift for the holiday season that is fun."

According to one2believe's Web site, the button-activated, bearded Jesus doll recites Scripture such as "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again" and "Love your neighbor as yourself."

In 2005, Toys for Tots distributed 18 million stuffed animals, games, toy trucks and other gifts to children based on financial need.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Zark, Westy, et. al... so much goodness in this thread :D

I don't think many kids would find a doll of a 2000 yr old gay hippy all that fun.
Wow, don't talk about SkaredShtles like that.

I wonder how the company would feel if they knew that 3000 of the dolls would be blown up by bored kids with fireworks and/or used in gay doll puppet shows?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
What's up with the "I'm ready for my nailing mr Deville" pose?

Jesus is buff. His knowledge of proper nutrition and fitness at the time is commendable.
Ever see those roman/greek sculptures? Thos dudes are ripped.

...although they do have tiny weens.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
But the jeebus was neither romish nor greekish. How many big buff jewd dudes you seen? Especially considering he eated with the peoples, meaning no high protien smoothies.
Son of God. Pretty decent genetics.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Weel, ya can't be handing out dolls of Christ on a Christian holiday...

Not one that looks like a constipated Tommy Chong anyway.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Weel, ya can't be handing out dolls of Christ on a Christian holiday...
You know the ACLU woud be all over that!

Too bad that company feels like the only way they can help is to push their religous beliefs/ agenda. That division is just part of a larger company that makes all sort of non-demoninational (sp?) toys.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That division is just part of a larger company that makes all sort of non-demoninational (sp?) toys.
It has nothing to do with pushing an agenda, they're just dumping the slow-sellers on a charity so they can write the inventory off before the end of the fiscal year. :clue: