Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
an unartistic group shot (not by me, not with my camera) of the scooter club at today's ride.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
i'm never going to do that again. my feet are killing me, as is my left palm from where i got some road rash by virtue of a homeowner who "disposed" of his excess landscaping dirt by dumping it in the street. long island has really poor sidewalks: narrow, bumpy, and often covered with sand or glass. in a few places i was actually forced to rollerblade in the traffic lane, on 40 mph limit roads, no less. as much as i could i cut across parking lots and took residential streets, but the insane layout of the island is such that these residential streets never go anywhere.

all in all it took me about 1:45 to cover 10 miles. overall it was a pretty horrible experience. ugh. at least i have my scooter back, and can use the car in a pinch.
This should teach you a valuable lesson. Don't rollerblade. that is unless you are french. I heard that's ok.

LOL at the Scooter club pic

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
planned route for this afternoon:

i ended up riding a slightly different route. about 70 solo miles on the scooter today since it was nice enough out and i'll be missing out on the group ride tomorrow.

my actual route:

black MP3 and our new-to-us red 2008 Honda Fit

/me is :unamused:

/me is :goofy: later on

i definitely wasn't supposed to park here…

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Is it possible I saw you and your scootermachine on the Southern State Parkway yesterday?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Is it possible I saw you and your scootermachine on the Southern State Parkway yesterday?
It's possible in theory but not reality, unless someone "borrowed" my scooter: I was on call last night until 9 PM and didn't go on any sort of ride. Was the person you spotted dressed all goonishly in high viz like me?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
it seems old white men love to tack all sorts of extraneous crap on their possessions. see minivans with CB radios galore, the ugly-ass electric bikes that i've posted before, and… this. (not my pic, but it's of a local's ride.)

wow.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
with residency and marriage i've had to cut back on the things that i do, as there's only so much time to go around. here's a short list of things that i'd like to do or learn to do; things that i want to keep on doing; and things that i used to do but have been dropped by the wayside.

things that i'd like to do or learn to do:

1. learn how to fly a plane

2. learn how to fly a helicopter

3. race in an amateur track series, whether on a motorcycle, in a spec miata, or in a shifter kart

4. learn how to windsurf

5. dabble in rockclimbing

6. learn how to kayak, if i end up in a place where that'd be convenient

7. finally learn how to unicycle–i tried for a day before med school but didn't follow through with it

8. learn how to weld and do basic fabrication

9. build a kit car, like a caterham or some newfangled electric equivalent

10. learn the iPhone SDK and program an application–my current idea is for a universal remote but that'd need a wifi/bluetooth to IR hardware box at some point in the chain

11. change the oil on our car! i can take a bike apart and put it back together in a snap and can solder electronics competently but have never actually changed oil on a car before

12. build an ultralight plane or powered paraglider and then manage to not crash it

13. learn how to confidently skate and crossover backwards and maybe play some rec league hockey?

14. learn how to sail keelboats and pilot larger watercraft both powered and sail-driven

15. learn how to fish–never been

16. learn how to do light mountaineering, although i have little desire to perish in a lonely crevasse

things that i want to keep on doing (besides spend time with jessica, which is a given):

1. keep on riding powered two-wheelers, a loose category that includes my uncategorizable Piaggio MP3 and hopefully will include some other fun machines in the future

2. keep playing the trumpet, including playing in groups big and small. jessica and i have found a local band to play with starting in september, northwinds, and i hope that it works out: that they're at an appropriate level, have motivated and relatively young performers, have decent intonation, and that the group is generally a good personality fit.

3. stay motivated and actively involved in my continuing education in radiology, since much of the learning that must get done will be self-directed.

4. shooting technically well-done, more or less interesting photographs.

things that i used to do that have been dropped by the wayside:

1. biking. i sold my last bike this month, and just don't see myself riding much on long island. it's hot, flat, and dangerous on the roads, i have no commute to speak of, and i feel that driving a long ways in order to go riding is ultimately pretty stupid. furthermore, i've been spoiled by my years of riding at whistler and the north shore.

2. sailing little boats. the yacht clubs around here seem pretty snooty–references required!–and don't seem to be the kind of experience in which i'd like to or can afford to partake.

3. scuba diving. i really haven't kept up with this, as again it seems like an activity that i'd really have to go out of my way to participate in.

4. piano. this kind of was by choice: like with chess i lack a sense of moderation when i play, and it's not especially healthy or rewarding.

5. pretend i'm going to make some sort of significant discovery or achievement, whether in science, music, or in math. i'm getting old. haven't done much spectacular yet and frankly am unlikely to do so given that i'm pretty content with how things are as they currently stand.

6. autocross. i've lost the bug that used to drive me to wake up extra early on my days off, drive to the racecourse, change my tires, register, work the course, do my meager 4 or 5 runs, and thus indirectly measure my driving prowess against other dudes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i went on a little loop tonight. getting chilly. had to put the liner in my armored textile pants and wore a t-shirt and a long sleeve jersey below my fall/winter jacket with all its vents closed. with my fullface's shield down i was just about right temperature-wise. such a change from just a few days ago…

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
big group ride planned for tomorrow. 135 miles, with the ultimate goal being to visit the croton dam, one of the landmarks in new york's water supply system.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
big group ride planned for tomorrow. 135 miles, with the ultimate goal being to visit the croton dam, one of the landmarks in new york's water supply system.
the route, more or less. ended up being about 150 miles all said and done. 7:30 AM until right after 5 PM. a long day, even if broken up with rests here and there.

looking back towards manhattan from new jersey, along the palisades highway. i think that's the george washington bridge, incidentally very near where i spent the first four years of my life (later on moving further down the island).

fast forward a bunch and we're now at the croton dam, near croton-on-hudson, ny. it creates one of the aquifers that feeds new york city's voracious appetite for water through its amazing, old system of underground viaducts.

that's a lot of water.

from below. the guard at the state park let us in for free, even though it's still technically a season in which admission should be charged.

what gallery would be complete without a glamour shot of my MP3?

the whole group's set of rides after we rode a bit on the grass. heh. iirc they are: Vespa LX150, Vespa GTS 250, 1962 Lambretta, Vespa LX150, Suzuki Burgman 650, my Piaggio MP3 250, another Vespa GTS 250, and a Honda Helix frankenmobile. :D

group shot minus the photographer (me) on the bridge:

finally, i shot some video footage at the dam. youtube is taking its sweet time with the uploaded file but with any luck it should be viewable later tonight.

youtube video link by yours truly:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
quick one hour spin on dark roads today. strange to ride solely by my headlight. no following cars in the mirrors, no streetlights for much of it, dead quiet.

note the short stretch on 495, the long island expressway, just for kicks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

i don't remember if this was the F 800 GS or the R 1200 GS. same difference.

when out shopping for gear for my wife both of us sat on a bunch of bikes to get a better idea of what feels right, what feels too big, etc. below are my thoughts just from swinging a leg over the following bikes (no actual riding took place :lol: ). i'm 173 cm/5' 8" for reference.

Triumph Street Triple: felt light and very manageable. 368 lbs, 31.5" seat height. (the Street Triple R isn't much different but there wasn't one in the showroom: 367 lbs, 31.6" seat height.)

Triumph Speed Triple: looked awesome with that short tail and single sided swingarm. also felt manageable but i could perceive its extra "bigness". heh. 416 lbs, 32.1" seat height.

Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 8V. long, not very tall, wide. felt a bit strange, actually. 489 lbs, 31.5" seat height.

BMW R 1200 GS non-A. felt tall, massive, but proportional. probably a bit much! 504 lbs, 33.5" seat height. i was up on my toes but could move the bike about reasonably easily, and could flat foot with one foot only if i shifted my hips.

BMW F 800 GS. also felt tall but perhaps within the realm of possibility. less wide than the R1200GS, surely. 455 lbs, 34.5" seat height.

BMW R 1200 RT. massive. felt like a low seat after hopping off the crazy-tall GS bikes. definitely bigger than i wish to go: i wouldn't want to catch that much weight at every stoplight, and at this point i'm more inclined to hop in a car for truly long distance touring. 571 lbs, 33.0" seat height.

BMW K 1300 GT. felt much like the R 1200 RT. bigger than i wish to go. pretty for sure, but oh so big. 635 lbs, 33.1" seat height.

BMW K 1200 LT. didn't even swing a leg over as it was on its centerstand in a corner. gold wing-esque huge. wow. not my bag at this point in the game. 853 lbs. 31.5" seat height.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
if you're wondering why i chose such a strange mix of bikes this was at a Ducati/Moto Guzzi/Bimota/BMW/Triumph/Piaggio dealer, and many of the Ducati/Bimota race reps had "do not sit on this bike" signs on them. the ones that i picked were more accessible in a sense.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Mmmm Moto Guzzi! :drool:
I want one...... Not so big on the Griso, but I do like the Bellagio (a bike that never seems to photograph that well but looks gorgeous in the flesh). I'm oh so tempted to get rid of the bandit and buy one when my house sells. :)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Oh and that is the BMW R1200 GS in the pic as it has the transverse cylinders the BMW F800 has a more normal looking motor. ;)

And that would be the BMW LT (luxury tour) in the background. :)

I do like the way the BMW's and Guzzi's are shaft drive instead of chain..... waaay less fooling around with maintenance issues.
With the Guzzi it's just a case of 2 pumps with the grease gun on each nipple every 50,000km Vs oiling the chain every 400km for a chain driven bike.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
speaking of shaft drive: have you been following the scuttlebutt on the upcoming Honda VFR 1200? 200 hp V-4, shaft drive, 6 speed dual-clutch gearbox is the word. if it's not an obese beast i'm quite psyched, at least on paper.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
any thoughts from the peanut gallery on faired versus unfaired bikes for day to day usage? these theoretical 2014-ish bikes would be of comparable geometry, say VFR vs one of the above.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I just love the looks of those triumphs but the practicality of a fairing is nice. I've had 3 bikes, an unfaired Yamaha Seca, 2002 VFR and an SV with partial fairing. My problem with the unfaired bike was that turbulence caused by larger vehicles would beat the crap out of me. It felt like someone was constantly smacking the sides of my helmet. Even the small fairing on the SV prevents most of this. The big fairing on the VFR was nice in cold and wet weather, it kept not just your face but good portions of the rest of your body out of the wind. It did a nice job of keeping engine heat away from the legs too.

Seems like an odd question coming from someone sporting a 4'X8' windscreen on a scooter.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i didn't trumpet it widely but after the movers scratched up my huge-ass windshield i pocketed the insurance settlement and didn't replace it. i'm running with just a tiny, abbreviated windscreen now (the stock one). in the east coast summer heat and humidity all the airflow possible was welcome. now that it's getting colder and i'm idly daydreaming about bikes fairings are more on my mind.

how did you like the VFR overall? was it too heavy? what do you think of the rumors about the upcoming VFR 1200 with dual-clutch this and that? i'm worried it'll top 550 lbs. the naked bikes above are appealing on paper (and when straddling them in the showroom) for their lightness.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i didn't trumpet it widely but after the movers scratched up my huge-ass windshield i pocketed the insurance settlement and didn't replace it. i'm running with just a tiny, abbreviated windscreen now (the stock one). in the east coast summer heat and humidity all the airflow possible was welcome. now that it's getting colder and i'm idly daydreaming about bikes fairings are more on my mind.

how did you like the VFR overall? was it too heavy? what do you think of the rumors about the upcoming VFR 1200 with dual-clutch this and that? i'm worried it'll top 550 lbs. the naked bikes above are appealing on paper (and when straddling them in the showroom) for their lightness.

My VFR was certainly heavier than my SV650, most notably at stop lights but at speed it wasn't very noticeable. Everything about the VFR felt very smooth and refined, it was a very nice bike.

I don't get the need to make the VFR with a bigger engine. There are other sport touring bikes just like that. The thing I liked about my VFR was that it was really more of a real world sport bike not some street legal racebike. The 800cc engine had plenty of power, seems like they are just trying to compete on a spec sheet. I don't get the need for the semi-auto tranny either. Of course I also opted for the old fashioned 6-speed on my GTI instead of the wiz-bang dual clutch job. I like to be involved in my driving/riding. It is not like shifting is difficult.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i like shifting, but my inner nerd things dual-clutch tech is super cool. i'm not attracted at all to big true-auto bikes like the DN-01 or FJR AE but the dual-clutch honda box sounds interesting. they claim it's lighter, too?

i'm not sure if this link will work but here's a cool youtube showing how smooth the dual-clutch box is on a VFR 1200 prototype:

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=156344039174&h=44D-A&u=whZYR&ref=mf

(i can't link directly or embed while at work since youtube is blocked)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i like shifting, but my inner nerd things dual-clutch tech is super cool. i'm not attracted at all to big true-auto bikes like the DN-01 or FJR AE but the dual-clutch honda box sounds interesting. they claim it's lighter, too?

i'm not sure if this link will work but here's a cool youtube showing how smooth the dual-clutch box is on a VFR 1200 prototype:

http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=156344039174&h=44D-A&u=whZYR&ref=mf

(i can't link directly or embed while at work since youtube is blocked)
Youtube is blocked for me too. I really enjoy the technology for automated manuals, they are no doubt superior to a human controlled unit. But at the end of the day I would still prefer to drive an old fashioned one. It would be different if I was looking for a tenth of a second on a racetrack though. I'd like to see someone come out with a automated unit with a manual clutch override.

I can't believe that the semi auto transmission is inherently lighter, it must be because of extra engineering effort. Maybe it doesn't have to be as robust since they don't have to design around a potential ham-fisted operator?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost.aspx?post=1257833

hmm, i might be parsing their text incorrectly. i took "Honda has tackled these problems with a slew of new innovations to make the transmission both smaller and lighter" to mean that it was smaller and lighter than the baseline non-DCT, but it might just be in comparison to prior clunky DCT designs, not that there is much of a motorcycle DCT baseline...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I'm def more of a fairing fan, the wind buffeting on an unfaired bike wears you out after a few hours on longer trips (and ok it just plain bugs me), as far as the 1200 VFR goes.....

A/ I think it would be just plain too big for you and your experience level....... It's a lot of power to keep under control.

B/ unless your living somewhere with no speed limits or plan on going to track days at the local race track, you will never need or use that many horses.
Even touring with 2 on the bike I think that 1000cc is as big as you need.
Call me a retro grouch if you must but I still feel that the BMW K100 (1000cc flat four) is about the perfect size and power bike for long trips.

Might be a lil tall for you but if you like the triumphs, see if you can find a tiger to have a look at, or alternatively something like a KTM SuperMotard.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
oh, this would be around 2014 when i'm finally an attending. i have plenty of time to get more miles and experience before then. :D

if it gets equivalent mileage to a 600 with the fancypants cylinder activation and the bike itself isn't a porker i see no reason to not go for a 1200. although i do see how it'd be a bit dangerous/tempting. on the other hand i'd rather have a bigger, more tractable bike than a peaky smaller one.

yeah, i think a Tiger is too tall for sure! the dual-sports and pseudo-dual-sports are the worst in that regard.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
edited since i posted in the wrong thread!

new content:

so jessica has informed me that i'll need to get a car before i can get another powered two-wheeler. this is probably reasonable. again, this would all happen around 2013-2014 (2013 being when i finish residency and 2014 when i finish a presumed fellowship as almost all radiologists do one these days).

this is interesting to me for two reasons:

1) i get to think about a car for me off in the hazy future
2) implicitly stated is that i can get a motorcycle later on!

woot. heh

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mmm F 800 ST. 85 hp and 63 ft-lbs, 450 lbs, 31.1" low seat (or 29.9" low suspension and seat! maybe even too low…), belt drive and a single sided swingarm, a full fairing with optional hard bags, ABS, and heated grips. oh, and a base price under $11k, $12.5 with ABS and trimmings. not bad at all for a BMW.

here's a review: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218631

i like daydreaming, clearly :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that's purty. in a retro-modern way. :thumb:

2010 Honda CB1100

i rode ~150 miles in the rain yesterday, btw. it kind of sucked. but i got to where i needed to get to and didn't die.

time to take the gloves out of the dryer for another ride…

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^

spoked wheels and that thing would look great.....and probably not available in the US...

here's another daydream bike.....

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
time to take the gloves out of the dryer for another ride…
i ended up not needing to wear the still-wet winter/rain gloves since it was absolutely beautiful out today. near 80 and sunny. logged another 100 miles including a dicey situation on the southern state parkway in traffic…

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ugh. Honda VFR1200F specs announced... and it's 613 lbs.

http://www.hondanews.com/categories/1359/releases/5219

not so interested now. hmph.
why oh why did honda have to make it so heavy? maybe by the time i'm actually in the market (read: ~2013ish :lol: ) i'll have warmed up to the concept of 600 lb bikes. i do like the dual nature of it as illustrated below:

key specs:

- 1237 cc V-4: 172 hp, 95 ft-lbs. of torque
- 6-speed manual or DCT, both with a slipper clutch and mated to a shaft drive
- standard ABS and combined braking system
- 32.1" seat height with an optional lower/narrower seat
- 591 / 613 lb curb weight without/with the DCT :think:
- factory pannier, top case, tank bag, windscreen, heated grip, and GPS system options :thumb: