Quantcast

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
well, for $3K, about 60% i'd say.
Yep, except they left far more than that if everything is as it appears.

You give up FPS, a built in grip and a superior viewfinder... and a few little things here and there.

The really important stuff was all left intact.

The grip situation, though, is going to keep this from totally cannibalizing the D3 sales. The D700 will be in at $3k, and the D3 is dropping in price, will probably end up at or below $4500. If you want the grip, though, you start to bring the two prices within shooting distance and a lot of people will just go for the better built and spec'd body.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
if you shoot portrait orientation even just 1/3 of the time, not having a grip seems idiotic to me.

is a grip worth that amount?

is the D700 weather-sealed? that was always the knock against the 5D vs 1 series bodies.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
tim, the D700 _is_ weather sealed... from dpreview: "Magnesium alloy body with connections and buttons sealed against moisture"

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
if you shoot portrait orientation even just 1/3 of the time, not having a grip seems idiotic to me.
Depends on if you want to carry the bulk.

is a grip worth that amount?
Entirely subjective. The new grip is made of the same magnesium as the pro bodies, same soft rubber grip, same weather sealing, and allows for 3 different types of batteries to power the camera in addition to the in-body battery... as well as increasing the FPS of both cameras it attaches to. Is that worth it? Maybe, maybe not.

To get a built-in grip, you have to leap to the pro bodies, and I don't think there are any other grips that really offer the same level of functionality as the MB-D10, so... personal decision.

is the D700 weather-sealed? that was always the knock against the 5D vs 1 series bodies.
Toshi answered, but all of the D#00 cameras are weather sealed.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've read a bit more about the D700...here are some interesting thoughts:

The D700 will sell for some US $2,000 less than the D3, a considerable sum, and potentially one that will keep the D3 away from many prosumers. Actual Pros may see the D3 as offering some valuable features over the D700. These include dual card slots, high absolute frame rates, audio note recording, a more rugged shutter, and.... hmm, and... frankly not a hell of a lot more. Put on a battery grip when you need it and get a vertical release and 8FPS, and what more is there? Indeed, the D700 ups the ante over the D3 by offering a built-in flash (for some simply a convenient remote flash trigger), sensor shake dust removal, and of course, its big win along with lower price, smaller size and bulk.
nikon has done the opposite of the canon strategy, in giving features to the lower-priced camera body that the pro series has. there are 1 series features which never trickle down.

i'd love to see sales figures of D3 and D700 over the next 12 months. nikon has certainly brought fierce competition to the previously uncontested 5D, but have they cannibalized their own flagship sales in the process?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Do you guys have any suggestions on an EF/EF-S macro lens?
i was quite happy with my giant Sigma 180mm f/3.5 HSM EX macro. 45 cm working distance is nice. i read good things about the Canon 100mm f/2.8 as it's a workhorse, but i didn't want that particular focal length since the 135mm f/2L is so nice...

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
i was quite happy with my giant Sigma 180mm f/3.5 HSM EX macro. 45 cm working distance is nice. i read good things about the Canon 100mm f/2.8 as it's a workhorse, but i didn't want that particular focal length since the 135mm f/2L is so nice...
there/s a 60/2.8 that looks kind of interesting too. I'm realizing that I don't know how to interpret the focal length in macro-land...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
there/s a 60/2.8 that looks kind of interesting too. I'm realizing that I don't know how to interpret the focal length in macro-land...
1) make sure its "macro" ability is true 1:1.
2) if it is 1:1 at its minimum focusing distance, then you can figure out this distance as it's simply nominal focal length/0.4 (e.g. 180mm macro, 45 cm minimum focusing distance).

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
1) make sure its "macro" ability is true 1:1.
2) if it is 1:1 at its minimum focusing distance, then you can figure out this distance as it's simply nominal focal length/0.4 (e.g. 180mm macro, 45 cm minimum focusing distance).
This is that one: 60/2.8

They say it can do 1.1, 20mm minimum distance. charts look pretty clean. I can't tell if it's 1.1@20mm or what, though...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
This is that one: 60/2.8

They say it can do 1.1, 20mm minimum distance. charts look pretty clean. I can't tell if it's 1.1@20mm or what, though...
the greatest magnification will always be at the minimum focusing distance (for primes!) by virtue of physics...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bizarre Czech (?) bikes from the 1930s and 1940s, including a race apparently for bike + trailer + running dudes in trailers. worth watching.

:)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ex-F1 driver for Honda + Civic Type-R + wife with teh hotness + track time + unsuspected camera == :lol:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
here's a nice 47 minute feature from National Geographic on the creation of the Nissan GT-R.

http://www.streetdrift.net/2008/10/national-geographic-video-nissan-gt-r.html

i'm not sure how i'm going to reconcile conflicting forces in my life with regard to cars. one, immature part of me wants a GT-R some day: for its heritage; for its unabashed Japanese origin and inspiration; because it's a very impressive piece of machinery.

the other, more rational side says i should go carless, go electric, go Aptera, ride the train exclusively, or at least do as narlus does and choose eminently efficient and frugal conveyances.

assuming i pass the rigors of both this surgery year and my upcoming years in radiology i'll have the freedom to choose in the future. i'm not sure what i'll choose, however. it's a shame almost that overriding rationality might internally quash one of the relatively few things i truly get excited about.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey doc.

Do you own a trail bike still?

Last time we rode together i broke my leg, now years down the road sitting here with a broken wrist i wonder why you don't take advantage of all the great riding around here.

You sir are missing out, and being how i am incapacitated i have no avenue of recourse other than sitting on my ass, encouraging you to get off of yours.:monkey:

i harp only because i care.:biggrin:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hi tim

These days I have neither a car nor a trailbike. I just have the roadie and the electric commuter bike. As I have one day off a week on average I just can't justify dedicating entire days to riding.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hi tim

These days I have neither a car nor a trailbike. I just have the roadie and the electric commuter bike. As I have one day off a week on average I just can't justify dedicating entire days to riding.
Sounds like your life would be easier if you were in prison.
i know you'll find more time eventually and be far better off for your current sacrifice, just hope to see ya on the trails in the upcoming seasons.:)

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Toshi, I know you have the answer to this locked down, so:

I need a P+S digicam. Something I won't care if I break (having it be hard to break would also be a plus), but I need to be able to take reasonable photos, especially of stuff that's moving (read: bikes). Have any suggestions?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Toshi, I know you have the answer to this locked down, so:

I need a P+S digicam. Something I won't care if I break (having it be hard to break would also be a plus), but I need to be able to take reasonable photos, especially of stuff that's moving (read: bikes). Have any suggestions?
i actually don't have specific suggestions, but i did think the canon SX IS series looks sweet... kind of mini-DSLR styling, built in IS, good range zooms. you're never going to get really fast lenses and clean sensors in a pocket cam so you might as well get something else out of it, i figure. on the other hand its shape is like a little cube essentially. the elphs would be much slimmer but then you're back to a 3x zoom, etc.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
i actually don't have specific suggestions, but i did think the canon SX IS series looks sweet... kind of mini-DSLR styling, built in IS, good range zooms. you're never going to get really fast lenses and clean sensors in a pocket cam so you might as well get something else out of it, i figure. on the other hand its shape is like a little cube essentially. the elphs would be much slimmer but then you're back to a 3x zoom, etc.
The P+S dilemma is temporarily solved as I found one of my roommate's half-discarded old digicams (a Fuji FinePix Z1) in a drawer. I took it out today on a ride and it did nicely.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
So I don't think I've mentioned this here yet, but my buddy Eric and I are gearing up for a go at a big MTB stage race next year (exact race TBD), and we're blogging about the journey from here to there, with interesting factoids and half-baked humor along the way. Check it out:

http://blog.pedalandwrench.com

If you find it even a little entertaining, I'de be psyched if you subscribed via your digital annoyance of choice (email, RSS, blogspot follower page) and kept up.