Quantcast

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Barbaton said:
So Keith and I and Kathy and Emily went to see the Diane Arbus show at the Met in NYC this weekend. It was a very good show and included a lot of her personal notebooks, letters, and such.

I think we photogs were inspired (hence our lens discussion earlier), though Keith was stymied by the fact that every photo store in NY is apparently closed for Passover.
We were inspired, and thanks to Emily buying my 10D (and 24-85 lens), I am investing in the 20... My original intention was to buy the package deal with the 17-85 4-5.6 IS USM, which has lots of potential, but now I'm starting to worry that I'm gonna be upset at it being a half-stop or so slower than my old 24-85 3.5-4.5, esp since I like to use a polarizer a lot. since I can't afford (read: justify paying for) two lenses, I like the wide range of this lens (it can also focus down to about 1' which is nice). I think I want to ditch my 28 1.8 (anyone want it?), leaving me with the 50 1.4 and whatever I buy in the next week or so...

any suggestions?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i just ordered the low top version of this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/modules/news/?op=articleview&id=2443

i rocked a set of 5-10s last season, albeit not the Impacts. they weren't that great since the sole had too much void space and wasn't the true sticky rubber as in the above shoes. everyone loves their Impacts (same as the Intense shoes from a few years back) so i have high hopes.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Barbaton said:
wonder what it would be like to ride your bike near the speed of light?
ooh, fisheye through special relativity :drool:

i'm going to get some good saddle time in the next year btw: new apartment is a 20 minute spin each way from school, enough to make me ditch the flats for ye olde ghetto atacs. next i will mount up the seatpost rack if i can find the proper shims, bungee on a milk crate, and go totally hippy by carting groceries around on the bike. actually that already sounds like too much effort.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so i went on a ride today. and got totally lost. as in had to call my mom to ask her to look up the address of the house we ended up next to so that we could figure out which way to ride go get back to the highway, let alone the trail. net result: 3 miles of uphill on the shoulder of highway 18 (4 lane divided for the most part) with trucks and RVs buzzing by our heads. not cool. at least i got my climbing in...

:dead:

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
At long last I have finished the rewrite of my website (and rearchiving of all my photos). I finally added the subject search feature that I've been talking about forever (and that toshi's site implemented like a year ago). I also redid the gallery page so it's slicker and easier to use.

see it here:
phoben.com

I also sold my 10D to my Emily (my gf, who is currently in Afghanistan. Long story...) and got a 20D.

the first two 20D galleries are:
Boston
and
Emily and Myself

and the best part... now I'll have time to ride. Speaking of which, I might be riding from boston to acadia Nat'l park (280 mi) in about 2 weeks.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
cool beans. i like that bridge, have taken several shots over the years of it myself :thumb: . how does one get to a listing of subjects, keith?

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Toshi said:
cool beans. i like that bridge, have taken several shots over the years of it myself :thumb: . how does one get to a listing of subjects, keith?
Threre are five major categories:

1. Date Folders: all the pics by date they were taken (this one is unfiltered so in the older galleries there's lots of crap)

Subject-like:

2. Compilations: basically general subjects, but only photos I think have 'some' value actually get displayed (filtered)
3. People: all the people pictured, organized by name. also filtered
4. Groups/organizations: self-explanatory. also filtered
5. Major events: again self-explanatory. NOT filtered.

to get ALL of a category, go to the search tool,, select the category in the dropdown box and choose a date range starting before august 2002 and ending after the current date and hit submit. Then all the 'subjects' will list themselves.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
WTGPhoben said:
to get ALL of a category, go to the search tool,, select the category in the dropdown box and choose a date range starting before august 2002 and ending after the current date and hit submit. Then all the 'subjects' will list themselves.
perhaps a shortcut to viewing all as per above for each category would be nice? hmm

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
WTGPhoben said:
maaaaaybe. I could put an "all" checkbox to substitute for the date, but I figured with 364 galleries, no one would want them all on one page.
You got your wish as a result of the fact that I had to go back and fix certain elements of the page that were hopelessly broken in firefox. Now all is working and you have your date selecting bypass.

can i go ride now?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
WTGPhoben said:
You got your wish as a result of the fact that I had to go back and fix certain elements of the page that were hopelessly broken in firefox. Now all is working and you have your date selecting bypass.

can i go ride now?
i approve :thumb:

i like this pic (more than my wicked turnbars at rye haha)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i got into the woods today! rode the mtn bike leg of the ski to sea race (www.bellingham.com/skitosea). shaved about 20% off last year's guy's time i think, got a good sunburn while at it, too :thumb:

hmm. upon looking at the results make that 15% off last year's muddy time, and 5% off the non-muddy year time. the shocking thing is that the overall stage winner was 14 minutes faster than me. and my time was 42:15. :dead:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Toshi said:
next i will mount up the seatpost rack if i can find the proper shims, bungee on a milk crate, and go totally hippy by carting groceries around on the bike. actually that already sounds like too much effort.
My brother in CO has one of these http://www.chromebags.com/kremlin.php and used it to go grocery shopping before he got a car.

Very roomy, but the milk crate option sounds cheaper.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Toshi said:
agreed. i guess he enjoys riding that couch bike around eh :think:
Finally watched the vid. The dude is a nutcase as well as an ass. Recklessly driving his couch bike around in opposing lanes of traffic does nothing to fight the car culture compared to angering someone about bikes...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i hit up whistler today. didn't bring camera. 10 runs over 5.5 hours of actual riding time. :thumb: hit all the favorites: dirt merchant, A-line, clown shoes (but not the drop), crack addict, joyride, schleyer, whistler downhill, heart of darkness, angry pirate (awesome trail!), and possibly more that i forgot. for those counting, note that the named trails do not each constitute a run since many are only lower or upper segments. :D

the nutty thing is that i saw star wars again last night, and didn't get to sleep until 2. up at 4, on the road by 4:50, and back at 10... a full day indeed.

oh yeah: i managed to go over the bars twice in spectacular fashion, and stopped a sketchily quick descent down a slippery rock face through sudden contact between a tree and my shoulder. as a result i have a healthy looking bruise/abrasion on my left bicep. no major injuries, however.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
click on image for the gallery:

all shot around seattle this morning with a canon 20D, sigma 180 macro at f/32 on tripod, 420EX off camera via ST-E2.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
from a coworker:

coworker said:
This is a wonderful IM exchange. Quoted from

http://www.livejournal.com/users/laura47/436196.html

RaxVulpine: There you are!
RaxVulpine: Do you know what I jsut decided is wicked awesome?
Espaliered Tomatoes: 0*654123-.0
RaxVulpine: Incorrect!
Espaliered Tomatoes: 123121312123213213213
Espaliered Tomatoes: 56**654400.3-*94
Espaliered Tomatoes: ..........
RaxVulpine: I took a cold bath and just sat in cold water reading about
chess for an hour. It was awesome.
RaxVulpine: THere's so much for us to see thought, like our parents do
more drugs than we do.
Espaliered Tomatoes: 111111111
Espaliered Tomatoes: 222222
Espaliered Tomatoes: 3333333
Espaliered Tomatoes: 4444444
Espaliered Tomatoes: 5555555
RaxVulpine: AGH my typing is horrible today.
RaxVulpine: So is everything but your numpad broken or something?
Espaliered Tomatoes: 111111111111111111111111
RaxVulpine: Is that a yes?
Espaliered Tomatoes: 11111111111111111
Espaliered Tomatoes: yes
RaxVulpine: Oh, did you just copy and paste that?
RaxVulpine: But how would you type your password?
RaxVulpine: Why is your life like it is?
Espaliered Tomatoes: k=2
Espaliered Tomatoes: l 3
RaxVulpine: k is not on the numpad.
RaxVulpine: The furries apologized and let me on their mailing list.
Espaliered Tomatoes: u= 4
RaxVulpine: I am so older than 4.
RaxVulpine: Even emotionally!
Espaliered Tomatoes: help?
RaxVulpine: Help with what?
RaxVulpine: If you are in like serious trouble or some **** I can call
you, I have like 8 minutes left on my phone.
Espaliered Tomatoes: n
RaxVulpine: What do you need help with?
Espaliered Tomatoes: u= 4 l= 3 k=2
Espaliered Tomatoes: i= 5
RaxVulpine: Is this code for killing everyone?
Espaliered Tomatoes: o= 6
Espaliered Tomatoes: n
RaxVulpine: io**oiuu00.l ?
RaxVulpine: What the **** are you on?
Espaliered Tomatoes: mac
RaxVulpine: Is this a code at all?
Espaliered Tomatoes: n!!!!
RaxVulpine: Then I am beyong lost.
Espaliered Tomatoes: mac broken!!!
RaxVulpine: Huh?
Espaliered Tomatoes: help?
RaxVulpine: What is broken about the Mac?
RaxVulpine: You're getting strange responses to keypresses.
RaxVulpine: Wait is it a laptop?
Espaliered Tomatoes: u= 4 l= 3 k=2 o= 6
Espaliered Tomatoes: 111111
RaxVulpine: Your function key ios sstuck.]
RaxVulpine: Bottom left hand corner.
Espaliered Tomatoes: laptop
RaxVulpine: Your function key is stuck. See how the keys have little grey
numbers? If function is on then you will get those numbers on the
keyboard.
Espaliered Tomatoes: 1111
RaxVulpine: I can't physically come there and unstick the key for you.
RaxVulpine: Make sure num lock is off also.
RaxVulpine: Which is on F6 I think.
Espaliered Tomatoes: yes! thank god!
Espaliered Tomatoes: thank you so much!
Espaliered Tomatoes: that was such utter hell!
Espaliered Tomatoes: oh my god!
RaxVulpine: No problem
Espaliered Tomatoes: you took so long to understand!!
Espaliered Tomatoes: i thought youy woudl understand faster
RaxVulpine: I just expect you to be incomphrehensible online.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ahha, that im thing was pretty lame :thumb:

General Grievous 69%
R2-D2 61%
Yoda 56%
Anakin Skywalker 53%
i also just bought a 3rd, used, bob ratchet rack mount. :thumb: and, as i already told thad, i bought a stepladder from home depot to carry around in the car and use to aid in lifting heavy bikes onto the roof of the pathfinder. it will be invaluable for the middle position...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Toshi said:
i bought a stepladder from home depot to carry around in the car and use to aid in lifting heavy bikes onto the roof of the pathfinder. it will be invaluable for the middle position...
I wonder why a rack company has never made a ladder like this that attaches to the top for those people with SUV's? I think on this bus it attaches to the rain gutter or the roof rack itself.

That way you could climb up top and someone could hand a bike up to you if you were carrying more than two.