Quantcast

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
A few more 2015 WRX details:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/crave-more-2015-subaru-wrx-details-we-have-them-straight-from-a-deep-dive-backgrounder-2013-l-a-auto-show/

Those that are relevant to me:

- carbon synchro for 1st and 2nd, since the old WRX 1st gear synchro was horrid
- LED taillights and optional LED headlights. Nice
- taller seatback and tilt-adjustable headrests. The LEAF's headrests poke me in the back of the head on expansion joints
- sedan only, which is fine by me as road noise would be less and this would be paired with a minivan
- direct injection so probably decent mileage when not caning it

Finally, two pretty press photos courtesy of Fuji Heavy Industries:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hmm. Depending on how whether I have headroom with a helmet on with the sunroof then I might be forced into an STI due to Subaru's option bundling:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2571988

I definitely want heated seats at the bare minimum (and LEDs along with keyless would be merely maintaining the status quo from the LEAF), yet getting any of those things in a WRX mandates the moonroof. I don't recall the XV Crosstrek to feel roomy at all... I don't remember whether the one I sat in had a moonroof, though.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I had a different idea [… a] 2015 WRX
That above new-WRX idea only lasted for about 2 weeks. It did show me that I'm willing to stomach new-car depreciation, at least in certain circumstances, at least.

Current plan/return to old plans:

A Nissan Quest for her, followed by

a Toyota Land Cruiser for me

Details for the terminally bored/detail oriented:

- Quest purchase will happen in May or June of 2014, unless we're to be moving to Oregon
- I should know where we're headed by January 2014
- if we're headed to Portland or Medford/Ashland then we'd wait to buy until after the move, so as to dodge sales tax
- the Quest will either be a CPO 2011 or 2012 or will be bought new through the VPP discount (same as I used for the LEAF's lease)
- either new or used it will be a pricey beast since Nissan is stupid/ingenious enough to only put navigation on the absolutely top of the line model, and that's one of Jessica's must-haves
- the Land Cruiser above is a Series 200, ie, 2008-onwards model years
- yes, this means I've dropped the idea of finding a rare-bird well-preserved Series 100 (1998-2007, iirc)
- yes, this also means I've dropped the idea of the gaudy Lexus LX variant
- dropping the Series 100 is for concerns of maintenance issues, in particular with the height-adjustable suspension
- dropping the Lexus is for tastefulness issues, especially if we end up in semi-rural Oregon, and because the Toyota is functionally identical +/- details here and there
- I'd go for a 2011 Land Cruiser, bought as a CPO vehicle a la our Prius
- the above choice of the 2011 vintage is based on Edmunds' total cost of ownership estimates, in which a 2011 is cheaper over 5 years than a 2010 (!), and that same 2011 a mere 5% pricer over that term than a 2008 (!!)
- this would all happen after the LEAF lease term was up in August 2015, of course, so I have plenty of time to cool my heels and change my mind repeatedly in the interval, of course :rofl:
- demographers in Toyota's marketing department would probably be very confused by this move, should it happen: from a leased/new, small EV getting 115 MPGe to a CPO, gasoline-swilling land barge getting 13/17 MPG
- yes, I'd offset my carbon emissions through carbonfund.org
:D

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
2 things I guess.
1 that Quest people mover... OMFG its so absurdly ugly!!!!
2 the Landcruiser, are you actually going to do any amount of offroad driving or is it an ego/image mover?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2 things I guess.
1 that Quest people mover... OMFG its so absurdly ugly!!!!
2 the Landcruiser, are you actually going to do any amount of offroad driving or is it an ego/image mover?
The Quest is the one she likes, go figure. Maybe that explains why she married me--halfway blind?! :D

As for the level of off-roading, definitely not this (note opening driver's door to drain out water at the end!):

Quite possibly something like this, though (White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park):

Plus I've already sketched out in this very thread some hundreds of pages ago where might be fun to travel within the National Park system:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16951&p=3664151#post3664151

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
have the newer ones broken the 20mpg hwy barrier yet?

my younger brother was shocked when i told him my pilot only got 22mpg hwy...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Nope. 13/18 is all she'll do in 2011 guise, and the power train and transmission are still the same now so are likely similarly unchanged. Suburbans and other GM behemoths best that through cylinder deactivation, but I didn't like the 'burb's lack of sound insulation or off-road chops.

15 MPG combined is $5.32 per 25 miles, as put by fueleconomy.gov, and if I am offered and take that Ashland job I'd be driving 50 miles per day some days of the week. Perhaps adding an economical motorcycle back to the stable for fair weather commuting would make sense--I'd have to do the math.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Quite possibly something like this, though (White Rim Road in Canyonlands National Park):

Plus I've already sketched out in this very thread some hundreds of pages ago where might be fun to travel within the National Park system:

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16951&p=3664151#post3664151
that aint no offroad.
i´ve "offroaded" (plowed would be a more fitting term) way worse dirt roads on a 1.3L Toyota Yaris back in the day.

a unibody crossover would be more than enough doing a few miles of dirt roads every now and then, unless you haul ass and mind replacing a tie-rod end or a ball joint (at most) once or twice.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
that aint no offroad.
i´ve "offroaded" (plowed would be a more fitting term) way worse dirt roads on a 1.3L Toyota Yaris back in the day.

a unibody crossover would be more than enough doing a few miles of dirt roads every now and then, unless you haul ass and mind replacing a tie-rod end or a ball joint (at most) once or twice.
The White Rim Road is 100 miles long... Avoiding a backcountry tow is a high priority, as that'd cost a pretty penny and would be a huge pain in the ass to boot.

Even this road in Capitol Reef National Park, off of which I snapped the below photo of the Temple of the Sun and the Moon, was 30+ miles long, iirc, including a water crossing. I pushed my luck when I did it in my old Pathfinder (open diffs, all terrain tires) and didn't get bitten, but it could have been bad. Said photo:

what about 2014 jeep grand cherokee V6/8spd trans...
Just built up a couple for fun:

- 2014 Limited with the 3.0L diesel and the off-road bits: $51k. Yowch. Part of that tag is because the diesel is bundled with a $4k luxury package.
- 2014 Laredo X with the 3.6L Pentastar, off-road bits, and normal convenience features: $38k. Better.

Anyway, my objections with the 2014 are that it's not pre-depreciated as a 2011 Land Cruiser would be, although that's not too valid of a complaint given that a used 2011 Land Cruiser would be as much as that diesel 2014 Limited. Also, reliability from 2011-2014 per Consumer Reports is much worse than average (89% worse than average for the 2014s, in particular). Oh, and it doesn't have articulation, which bugs my inner numbers-nerd:

Four Wheeler-sourced Ramp Travel Index data said:
573 - 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser with AHC/AVS
542 - 2008 Toyota Land Cruiser with KDSS
491 - 2010 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition with KDSS
486 - 2009 Nissan XTerra PRO-4X
472 - 2008 Hummer H2
422 - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee
400 - 2009 Toyota Sequoia
302 - 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension at standard height
265 - 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with air suspension raised to full height
Time for some arithmetic/back of napkin action regarding whether adding a motorcycle to the mix would make sense:
15 MPG combined is $5.32 per 25 miles, as put by fueleconomy.gov, and if I am offered and take that Ashland job I'd be driving 50 miles per day some days of the week. Perhaps adding an economical motorcycle back to the stable for fair weather commuting would make sense--I'd have to do the math.
I'll assume that 50 miles 2 days per week (that's from Ashland to north end of Medford and back), and 30 miles on the other days. Let's call it 250 miles per week to account for some weekend driving, rounding up to a still-reasonable 15,000 miles per year with a few road trips.

Out of this 15,000 miles per year I could potentially comfortably commute on a motorcycle for, say, half a year. That'd be 190 * 26 out of that total, or roughly 5,000 miles/yr on a motorcycle with the balance in the car/SUV.

Land Cruiser MPG is 15 MPG combined via the EPA, which is probably pessimistic since the miles would be largely highway. I could probably pick up a used V-Strom and only lose about $500/yr in depreciation, and it'd do an easy 45 MPG. I'm going to ignore riding gear (sold most of mine save for my helmet and gloves) but will account for $500/yr in insurance for the bike as well. Finally, I'm not going to factor in the Land Cruiser depreciation at either mileage.

So on one hand we have 15,000 miles / 15 MPG * $4 premium unleaded ==> $4,000/yr to fuel the beast.

On the other we'd have 10,000 miles / 15 MPG * $4 premium unleaded + 5,000 miles / 45 MPG * $3.75 regular unleaded + $500/yr extra bike depreciation + $500/yr extra bike insurance ==> $4,083/yr for this combined deal.

I guess that seals it: even with Land Cruiser mileage and very fair motorcycle assumptions it wouldn't save any money. Add to that my past neuroses with motorcycle wind noise and the safety factor and it really doesn't make any sense.

Update: Turns out the LC takes regular, not premium, so the math is even more clear.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
it pains me to see the lack of variety toyota gives the US with the land cruiser.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It'd be pretty sweet to have 70 series Land Cruisers here, along with other engine options on the 200 series, too, yeah.

http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70-series/range

On the other hand, given a 70 series and a 200 series, a 200 series probably is the right one for my intended uses and neuroses (ie, wind noise). It's just expensive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

Not-so-giant baby with giant baby-prints: 20x30" via Costco Photo Center with a cheap frame via Amazon.

:thumb:

Now to figure out where in the house these should go…

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the first "i'm no longer amused with taking pictures glare"....

this needs a camper top....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
She loves the camera, actually. She wants to eat it. The problem with the short lens (the above was with the 24-105 near 24) is that it's close enough that she notices it and wants to grab it.

That's pretty cool. Weird headlight and lower grille treatment, though.

Speaking of camper tops, I'm going to reiterate here that if Eric's truck + camper really did weigh 12k as he depicted it in the GMT he's overweight on the rear axle. Or the front. Or both. I've mentioned that before to him but he declared it couldn't possibly be true.

http://buyersguide.caranddriver.com/ford/f-250-super-duty/2012/ford-f-250-super-duty/specs

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
On a similar note: Forget the spacecraft, but check out that Hummer with a sweet camper-esque top on it at left of the photo:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Good thought.

Looks similar except in execution (NASA one looks fiberglass), rear profile, and keeping the rear doors.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Time for some arithmetic/back of napkin action regarding whether adding a motorcycle to the mix would make sense:

I'll assume that 50 miles 2 days per week (that's from Ashland to north end of Medford and back), and 30 miles on the other days. Let's call it 250 miles per week to account for some weekend driving, rounding up to a still-reasonable 15,000 miles per year with a few road trips.

Out of this 15,000 miles per year I could potentially comfortably commute on a motorcycle for, say, half a year. That'd be 190 * 26 out of that total, or roughly 5,000 miles/yr on a motorcycle with the balance in the car/SUV.
Time to repeat this exercise with a cheap EV, the Fit EV, assuming the same long commute as above.

It's available in Oregon, in theory, for $259/mo, nothing down, level 2 EVSE and collision insurance included. It'll do about 4 mi/kWh judging from my LEAF experience, and each kWh costs about 7.5 cents in Ashland. It would be usable all year around, unlike the motorcycle, or at least 95% of the time. Lets call it 190 miles * 48 working weeks (9,120), and the Land Cruiser getting the balance of 15,000 miles (5,880).

Revised baseline, noting $3.75/gal regular: 15,000 mi/yr / 15 MPG * $3.75/gal == $3,750

EV in the mix: 5,880 / 15 * $3.75 + $259 * 12 + 9,120 / 4 * $0.075 == $4,749

Hmph. I guess it really doesn't make financial sense, not that a Land Cruiser makes financial sense, either. Unless I both land an Oregon job and there exist secret extra Oregon EV subsidies unbeknownst to me, it looks like the LEAF will be replaced solely by something much more conventional.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Headroom stats have been posted in the NASIOC 2015 WRX info thread, and those figures (along with my renewed-yet-again Land Cruiser lust) have effectively ruled out the WRX:

39.8" front headroom without moonroof, which is great

37.2" front headroom with the moonroof, ie on all but the base model that lacks keyless entry and heated seats! This is awful, less than a Miata, for reference. I'd be brushing the headliner without a helmet…
Subaru still has a twinge of appeal to me, though, and we might end up in Denver! so I propose the following:

1) minivan or AWD crossover for wife summer 2014 dependent on where I get a job. Leased LEAF to me.
2) when LEAF lease is up fall 2015 I pick up a 2011ish Land Cruiser, CPO or plain ol' used.
3) further down the road, perhaps in 2017? then I get a toy. This could be a STI (no moonroof!) or possibly something more impractical, with the only constraint being adequate headroom for a helmet. This means no BRZ, unfortunately.
The wife-bot thinks I won't have enough time to warrant a toy, and she may be correct, especially if I stay in academics and have real pressure to publish all the time. Always nice to dream, though.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Time to repeat this exercise with a cheap EV, the Fit EV, assuming the same long [Ashland-Medford] commute as above.

Hmph. I guess it really doesn't make financial sense, not that a Land Cruiser makes financial sense, either.
After much sober time spent with Edmunds.com's total cost of ownership tool my Land Cruiser lust is fading. Or perhaps it's just because it has been a few weeks and my brain feels like churning away at something new.

For whatever reason, I spent the last day or two looking at things from the perspective of making my future commute as painless and cheap as possible… and EVs actually factor in heavily. Specifics depend on what city we end up in--still very much to be determined, as I'm awaiting any offers to materialize from my interview antics (Seattle, Portland, Medford/Ashland, Boise, and Denver all in the running).

Said specifics are too boring to post in this thread, even by my low standards :D , but suffice it to say that I think EVs would be cheaper even than a cheap middle-aged used car (like the 2008-2009 Taurus idea from a few months back). Given that I do like the LEAF's smoothness, quietness, and heated steering wheel/seats, it wouldn't pain me too much to continue to commute in one.

The real coup, of course, would be if I could have a rail-based commute, and not be in a car at all, electric or not. I think I could pull that feat off in Portland today (streetcar), at the Seattle VA today (light rail plus short bike leg if willing to live in crappy southern neighborhoods--2016 for nicer northern neighborhoods), and at UW and in Denver when their respective light rail line extensions each open in 2016.

Last edited:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
The White Rim Road is 100 miles long... Avoiding a backcountry tow is a high priority, as that'd cost a pretty penny and would be a huge pain in the ass to boot.

Even this road in Capitol Reef National Park, off of which I snapped the below photo of the Temple of the Sun and the Moon, was 30+ miles long, iirc, including a water crossing. I pushed my luck when I did it in my old Pathfinder (open diffs, all terrain tires) and didn't get bitten, but it could have been bad. Said photo:

there are a few tools, I have found to be priceless, when it comes to light off-roading/dirt road driving.

- high lift jack (or a regular jack and strong arms). these will get you out of almost anywhere, but mud/rivers.
- 2x4s (carry 4-6 1-yd long pieces with you). very useful to self-recovery. use them to lay out a "2x4s road" when trying unstuck in sand/dirt.
- air compressor.
- small shovel and pick.

if you are ballin´:
- exhaust-inflatable airbag.
- stairs-looking things to use in place of 2x4s.

with these basic tools, I am in a point, where I can confidently self-rescue anywhere (except river crossings and mud) in less than 30 minutes.

i just try to be conservative... like I always throw rocks to water crossings to guesstimate the depth before attempting them (i never wade more than 1.5ft when alone), and mind the central angles.
only other scenario I try to avoid when alone, is deep mud.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Speaking of sounding rivers for depth, did you see the Top Gear series 20 episode where they tested the new Range Rover Sport? It has freakin' sonar such that it displays how deep the water is, overlaid with the maximum wading depth.

That's an awesome party trick, I must say. :D

http://www.finalgear.com/shows/topgear/20/6/ is the episode in question. The finale was awesome, too.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
After much sober time spent with Edmunds.com's total cost of ownership tool my Land Cruiser lust is fading.

[Car choice s]pecifics depend on what city we end up in--still very much to be determined, as I'm awaiting any offers to materialize from my interview antics (Seattle, Portland, Medford/Ashland, Boise, and Denver all in the running).

Said specifics are too boring to post in this thread, even by my low standards :D
Screw it: I'm bored at work here at the VA on the day after Christmas, and I just confirmed another interview (Boise), so now I have at least four plausible locations at which I might end up, in that I've interviewed or will interview in each of these cities. In decreasing order of preference:

Portland

- live in NW Portland (home of many a Zipcar) and therefore revert to being a dirty, carless hippie
- commute to hospital by bicycle or streetcar with the last leg in either case via aerial tram (!)
- no role for a car of my own in this scenario, let alone a Land Cruiser

Denver

- live near to-be-completed-in-2016 I-225 light rail (Nine Mile?), and eventually commute in via light rail
- still would need a car, as this neighborhood is not Zipcar-land:
-- LEAF with snow tires for super-low total cost of ownership
--- would buy anew instead of buying out current one to reap generous CO + Federal tax credits
-- or maybe an Xterra Pro-4X, as my parents have? I do fit in it, and it's not tacky...
-- Land Cruiser still possible here if feeling rich after one year, but unlikely

Medford/Ashland

- live in Ashland, drive long distances daily to and from Medford as a result
- big milestone work-wise is at 2 years, when I'd find out if I would be making partner or not
- lease a new LEAF or a Spark EV for said 2 years "waiting period" for low TCO, especially in the face of big miles
- no role for SUV or Land Cruiser in this scenario, although I might end up with a side-by-side and a trailer if out here permanently

Boise

- driving commute, but most likely not super-long distances
- non-partner track so no 2 year milestone unlike in Medford
- not a place we'd end up permanently, so stay living cheap, rental house, etc.
- probably same car considerations as Denver (LEAF/Xterra/Land Cruiser unlikely)

I'm probably the only person out there who has serious considerations for both an Xterra Pro-4X and a LEAF simultaneously...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If the environment at the university (OHSU) is favorable and they offer me a job, I think it'd be my top choice. I'll be there mid-January to interview, so not too much more waiting... I do dig Portland itself, of course, having lived and worked there before med school.

:thumb:

Close enough to travel (via Amtrak!) to see the wife's family in Seattle regularly, check. Good biking relatively nearby, check. Housing prices half that of Seattle, check. Non-car-based commute options, check. I can dig it.

Update: One more perk for Portland/OHSU: an OHSU employee ID gets one free passage on the streetcar. The aerial tram is always free. This means my theoretical commute from the Northwest neighborhood to work would be entirely free, and entirely on funky transport vehicles. I really dig that.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If the environment at the university (OHSU) is favorable and they offer me a job, I think it'd be my top choice. I'll be there mid-January to interview, so not too much more waiting... I do dig Portland itself, of course, having lived and worked there before med school.
I'll be in Boise, Idaho to interview exactly one week prior to interviewing at OHSU in Portland. It'd be a private practice night position in Boise, not ideal but probably pretty chill--7 nights on, 1 week off, and most of the work from 10 PM-2 or 3 AM with a lull after then.

A big potential perk for Idaho, besides the ability to hang out with a bunch of white people, is that ATVs are street legal there (as well as in Montana and Wyoming, but not Colorado, Washington, or Oregon). I mapped out the ATV laws a while back:

https://plus.google.com/app/basic/stream/z135uzja2w33vxit5220ixyh0yzccdlbp04

Having an ATV as a commute option would be a minor riot in the summer/would let me justify one more easily to the wife-bot/would let me ride to the trailhead. My inner redneck likes that concept.

I sure hope I get an offer somewhere else, though. Soon, soon.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Relevant to the ATV discussion above: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/03/iihs-study-atv-deaths-road/

I added another (phone) interview with a practice in Casper, Wyoming, so that'd be another place besides Boise where I could roll into work on an ATV, because why not?

On the other side of the tally, Medford decided they didn't want to offer me a job, so no Spark EVs will be in my future, as they're CA/OR only and I wouldn't need a car at all in Portland.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stalked the local owner of a defender 90 110 diesel pickup....1996 registered as a 1988.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That unimog briefly in the video is awesome.

Still no word from Denver.