Quantcast

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I <3 Turners. Have two old single pivot flux's. Spent a bit of time on the new 5 spot and really liked it. It would be the bike I would first consider if I was looking for that genre of bike and some form of employment.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I <3 Turners. Have two old single pivot flux's. Spent a bit of time on the new 5 spot and really liked it. It would be the bike I would first consider if I was looking for that genre of bike and some form of employment.
That's exactly what I wanted to hear. :D I think I'll get some seat time on rented high end bikes (rented a Nomad Carbon last year, iirc) this summer and buy the next season. I don't really want to pay to move across the country and buy a $5k bike simultaneously.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
160ish mm travel single crown 26" wheel full suspension offerings to find one that should in theory best suit my short legged, long torso-ed configuration. I'd ideally like a standover of 29" or less and a top tube of 24", pulling numbers semi-out of my ass.
Lapierre Spicy 514 *boom* your done.
totally sweet suspension, geometry of the Medium is near bang on.
We have one in my shop, totally sick bike.... Just about took it home with me on Christmas eve.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Lapierre Spicy 514 *boom* your done.
totally sweet suspension, geometry of the Medium is near bang on.
We have one in my shop, totally sick bike.... Just about took it home with me on Christmas eve.
Horst Link patent == nothing but road bike Lapierres in the USA. The Specialized would clearly be the closest. I'm tempted to try one of these newfangled DW-link deals, though. Not that it's the same thing, but I had an Intense Uzzi SLX back in the day (6" travel, Horst Link, beefy, upright) so I've already done the tall trailbike deal.
I always get a chuckle from the bike spec spreadsheet.
The problem with standover is akin to that with my car spreadsheets and headroom/rear legroom stats. No one measures exactly the same way.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Horst Link patent == nothing but road bike Lapierres in the USA. The Specialized would clearly be the closest. I'm tempted to try one of these newfangled DW-link deals, though. Not that it's the same thing, but I had an Intense Uzzi SLX back in the day (6" travel, Horst Link, beefy, upright) so I've already done the tall trailbike deal.

The problem with standover is akin to that with my car spreadsheets and headroom/rear legroom stats. No one measures exactly the same way.
Once I'm done with this little stint in Dakar, I intend to get a bike along the lines of the ones you're listing, but probably more Stumpy Evo style rather than the FSR. All my buddies tell me the Nomad is too much bike. I would have thought a blur LTc would be closer to the Mojo HD, for example.

Any particular reason you've omitted the SB-66c from your list? That's the bike I'm drooling over these days.

The Devinci Dixon would get you some DW split pivotness, but they feel tall.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Once I'm done with this little stint in Dakar, I intend to get a bike along the lines of the ones you're listing, but probably more Stumpy Evo style rather than the FSR. All my buddies tell me the Nomad is too much bike. I would have thought a blur LTc would be closer to the Mojo HD, for example.

Any particular reason you've omitted the SB-66c from your list? That's the bike I'm drooling over these days.

The Devinci Dixon would get you some DW split pivotness, but they feel tall.
I simply didn't know about those two. Like I said, I haven't followed bike news or read magazines in years.

Yetis and Santa Cruz bikes are built in Taiwan now, right? The Turner would be the only US made one, no? Maybe Trek, too? Just read something about the OCLV Remedy being made in WI.

(DeVinci is fabriqué au Canada, iirc, but that doesn't motivate me one way or another. :D )

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I simply didn't know about those two. Like I said, I haven't followed bike news or read magazines in years.

Yetis and Santa Cruz bikes are built in Taiwan now, right? The Turner would be the only US made one, no? Maybe Trek, too? Just read something about the OCLV Remedy being made in WI.

(DeVinci is fabriqué au Canada, iirc, but that doesn't motivate me one way or another. :D )
I'm not sue where Yetis are made, tbh... Or SC.

Aluminum Devincis are made in La Belle Province, but I'm not sure about the carbon ones. Maybe we've figured out les bikes en plastique, 'osti.

I think Turner would be the only 'merican made bike of your options thus far.

How about confusing the issue further with the addition of the Pivot Mach 5.7c? DW bike for yous.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Since you're so out of the loop, and I'm sure you need my help...This bike looks like it will be pretty damned kickass too. But its one of those new fangled 650b rigs.

http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+Altitude_770_MSL.html?BIKE=1162&CATID=1&SCATID=22&Y=2013

Plus they've got this nifty "Ride9" shock mount system that lets you fiddle with the geometry.
http://ride9.bikes.com/

Too many choices, really. I wish I had more knowledge of what my preferences are. I haven't actually ridden enough different bikes.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
650b? I thought that was for tri rigs' front wheels and road bikes for really short women. :D How things have changed&#8230;

I think step one will be deciding whether I want a dw-link or not, and if not, whether I want a Horst link bike. Weagle is my boy, at least a bit, in the sense that I met him when out back east during the Evil Bikes days. I also had a Kona back then sans Horst link due to that pesky patent, and had a bit of FSR-worship due to that lackage.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I also had a Kona back then sans Horst link due to that pesky patent, and had a bit of FSR-worship due to that lackage.
I just had another thought, relevant to my well-documented odd body proportions: Maybe a Ventana? Their El Ciclón would serve as the base but then I could customize it with a short seat tube and low and long top tube:

El Ciclón: http://www.ventanausa.com/bikes/el-ciclon/

Custom program: http://www.ventanausa.com/about-us/custom-geometry-program/

Full Custom

This is our premier level of customization. Under this category you can get a nearly anything required to make your bike fit your body, your riding style, or your individual tastes with the help of Sherwood as your designer. Working directly with Sherwood via email and telephone to get the full specifications for your dream machine, Sherwood will combine your wish list with his engineering expertise and draw up and submit a drawing of your frame to you for approval.

Like the drawing? Sign off and return to Ventana and we will commence building your dream machine.

Don’t like the drawing? Need more detail? No problem. Mark up your drawing, call us up or send us an email with necessary changes and Sherwood will incorporate them into a new/modified drawing and submit it to you for your approval. This process is repeated until you are completely satisfied with the design of your machine and when you are, simply sign off the drawing and return to Ventana and we will proceed with your build.

We will not begin to build a full custom frame until we have received a signed and dated approved frame drawing
Sure, the El Ciclón's the same basic design as my Kona Stinky from 1999, but does that really matter?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If I go the custom route I'll have to test ride a ****load of bikes to find out what I want, exactly, especially as whatever I build will be essentially un-resaleable. :D

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
If I go the custom route I'll have to test ride a ****load of bikes to find out what I want, exactly, especially as whatever I build will be essentially un-resaleable. :D
Yeah...that would be quite the investment in time. Which you are going to run out of soon, right? Heh.

And doesn't that top tube look high to you? Like a Nomad? I'm not a fan of that feature.

The SB-66C I rode around a parking lot felt really long (compared to my MKIII). I'm a short legs, long-torso guy.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Toshi, if you're looking for a budget boutique frame I've got a L 2006 Turner 6 Pack (black ano/polished) that was used as a interbike dirt demo bike and then essentially not ridden as its too small for me. 19" st and close to 24" TT iirc. Non-horst, faux-bar (I have a formerly horst 5spot which is now fauxbar after I broke the rear end; I prefer the faux bar feel). I'm about to sell the frame with bunch of others to fund a v10c build and am looking for ~$600 + shipping. DHX 5 coil or air; thomson post and I could probably find a ti WTB saddle and bar/stem to include at that price. Just throwing it out there. the frame is 'like new' and builds out to low-mid 30# with AM build kits.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Yeah...that would be quite the investment in time. Which you are going to run out of soon, right? Heh.

And doesn't that top tube look high to you? Like a Nomad? I'm not a fan of that feature.

The SB-66C I rode around a parking lot felt really long (compared to my MKIII). I'm a short legs, long-torso guy.
The apex-upward bend of the top tube is less than promising, yeah. I'm going to see if I can work out some demos or rentals here on Long Island before I leave, and I'll do the same in Seattle. I know for sure that there's an Ibis and Santa Cruz dealer in the Seattle metro, as I rented a Nomad (iirc) from them last year.

http://www.kirklandbikes.com/brands.html

Perhaps Ibis will be the default choice due to availability.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In bike news, I took the 29er out in the mud last weekend and had a good time despite bonking (thanks, no carb diet! since replaced) and the always-atrocious shifting. The Auriga or whatever I have on it has never wanted to shift smoothly throughout the whole cassette, instead only lending itself to optimization in a few gears.

In the hopes that it's just a cable stiction issue I have a sealed Gore Ride On cable/housing set en route, and will go nuclear, that meaning replacing the rear part of the drivetrain with 10 speed Shadow Plus SLX, should that fail to resolve my issues.

In car news, I'm continuing to dig the Acura post-seat mod and fresh tires. I've said this before, but I am especially liking that the coupe's long doors/long glass keep the B pillar way behind my head during head checks. As long as the transmission holds up on it…

Also, Nissan unexpectedly (to me, at least) lowered the price of the 2013 Leaf! They're making a play for volume by rolling the TN plant production savings into the price rather than boosting profit margins.

http://autoblog.com/2013/01/14/nissan-leaf-becomes-least-expensive-5-seat-ev-with-massive-price/

Nothing to sneeze at: new, cheap model as well as drops from $2.5-3.5k on the two existing trim lines.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I went on a rare, midweek night ride in 36 degree fog with Thad (barbaton, although he never posts these days). Oof. Wet roots at night are more exciting.

Next time I need to keep the spare battery for the light in a handier location, add in a helmet mounted light so as to see through tight curves, and dress lighter in general except warmer in the region of my feet. Overheating while having a frozen, wet foot from putting a foot down in a puddle isn't the best.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Next time I need to keep the spare battery for the light in a handier location, add in a helmet mounted light so as to see through tight curves
Pickup one of these and move the light from your bars and to your helmet. If running a single light, a helmet mount is way moar better than a bar mount.

As cheap as these lights are (Magicshine and knockoffs) run one on your helmet and bars. :thumb:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That's a good idea, and that looks like a very universal mount kit for any handlebar mounted light.

I actually have two knockoff DX lights, one roped into taillight duty on my commuter e-bike. There's also an LED climbing type headlamp on its way to me from steepandcheap.

I rode last night with both a knockoff light and my Fenix TK21 flashlight mounted on my handlebars. I was very happy with the intensity and projection, but just wasn't happy with the lack of light in tight corners. I'll give that duo another shot, only augmented by the new, weaker helmet lamp.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
That's a good idea, and that looks like a very universal mount kit for any handlebar mounted light.

I actually have two knockoff DX lights, one roped into taillight duty on my commuter e-bike. There's also an LED climbing type headlamp on its way to me from steepandcheap.

I rode last night with both a knockoff light and my Fenix TK21 flashlight mounted on my handlebars. I was very happy with the intensity and projection, but just wasn't happy with the lack of light in tight corners. I'll give that duo another shot, only augmented by the new, weaker helmet lamp.
Not the best/sturdiest mount evah, but more than functional. Definitely go with a helmet mount as soon as convenient.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The Acura's lower driver's door plastics decided that today would be a good day during which to rattle madly, quite possibly due to materials contracting due in turn to it being 25 F. I found I could stop the high frequency rattling by holding pressure below the driver's armrest, but the noise would return without fail on release.

Then I took a 270 degree ramp from one parkway to another at a decent clip, perhaps at 0.5g or so. Nothing crazy, not even enough to elicit a squeal from the Kumhos, but enough to load one up in the side bolsters (the intact ones on the back, not the seat base ones I shaved away, of course :D ).

After that semi-spirited turn the noise ceased immediately, and the car stayed quiet the rest of my journey.

Go figure.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Today I got the road-tripping bug out of my system--no more driving long distances for a while now, thanks, after 480 miles + a ferry ride today--and in doing so got to meet dan-o, sit in his wife's Merc, and bought his 6 Pack frame.

:thumb:

Assuming I still have money left over from tax refund time (after paying for water damage to the downstair's involuntary tenant's stuff from our notoriously prone to flooding washer/dryer that just flooded his place again on Friday) then the build process shall commence. I'm thinking a 160-170 mm adjustable travel air fork would do the trick, maybe an X Fusion Vengeance HLR DLA or a Fox 36 TALAS, whatever's out there for a good price.

The other highlights will be a straight 2 x 10 XT group with that newfangled Shadow Plus system that kidwoo likes so much, as well as my first foray into tubeless with Stan's rims (Flow EX?) and UST tires (Maxxis probably, since that's what I used to know).

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
My unsolicited 2 cents:

The X-Fusion is really, really good. If I was looking for a fork along those lines right now that would easily be my pick. What are you thinking for hubs?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I'm thinking XT for hubs as well. The rear's a standard 135 mm QR setup, so nothing weird required there, and modern XT has 10 degree engagement in the rear and a 20 mm variant in the front.

I'd love another set of Chris Kings (rocked them on my old XC rig) but the price differential between them and Shimano is so vast&#8230;

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hell, even SLX would do the trick, both for components and hubs (12.5 degree 32 pawl engagement, iirc). Something seems dirty about that, though, so XT it is, even if I have to save a few more weeks for it.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
In bike news, I took the 29er out in the mud last weekend and had a good time despite bonking (thanks, no carb diet! since replaced) and the always-atrocious shifting. The Auriga or whatever I have on it has never wanted to shift smoothly throughout the whole cassette, instead only lending itself to optimization in a few gears.

In the hopes that it's just a cable stiction issue I have a sealed Gore Ride On cable/housing set en route, and will go nuclear, that meaning replacing the rear part of the drivetrain with 10 speed Shadow Plus SLX, should that fail to resolve my issues.
I slapped on the sealed Gore cable set this afternoon. Impressions from the work stand are that shifting speed, effort, and consistency are all much improved with the magic of Teflon. This 29er may well keep its Deore drivetrain to the end of its sad days. Not using any grease or lube (per Gore's instructions) is weird.

Today I got … to meet dan-o, sit in his wife's Merc, and bought his 6 Pack frame.
I realized I never discussed the test-sit in the E Class wagon. I sat up front (fit fine with the seat lowered, further illustrating the limited utility of published headroom stats) and in the ridiculously small third row jump seats. With the Lilliputian size of said jump seats a Merc wagon would not work in a three kid scenario, so any thoughts of, say, an E63 AMG wagon as a do it all family hauler will most likely therefore forever go unfulfilled.

For our current 0.96 kid situation the Prius or Leaf remains on paper totally adequate, presuming Jessica doesn't have a change of heart regarding ginormous tanks on the way back from the hospital, and the same would likely hold true for a hypothetical Thing 2. I'm becoming less sure of the latter after breaking my back assembling all sorts of baby furniture and associated crap the past few days. The pack and play is huge, in particular: that plus a stroller would fill the Prius's cargo area on its own…

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yeah. I discovered that hatchbacks don't quite cut the mustard for a family vehicle. Strictly speaking, we've never had a PROBLEM, per se, but I sure do a lot of cursing trying to get a stroller, a pack and play, luggage, baby seat, baby, etc... into and out of the car. (Mazda 3 hatch).

You can pretty much forget about taking anyone else along if they intend to have any luggage.

I was eyeing an '06 5 series wagon on Autotrader.ca. No idea what it's like IRL, but it looks like it has acres of space. The thought of being able to put a collapsed stroller in lengthwise is just dreamy...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So I have no kids but wtf happened to strollers? Maybe it was just my poor assed white trash up-bringing but the strollers my parents had for me folded up to the size of an large umbrella, kind of looked like one with wheels. We would take cross country trips with a 5 person family in a K-car. Cracks me up to hear people claim they need some oversized car to fit a devise used to push around a 20 lb human being.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So I have no kids but wtf happened to strollers? Maybe it was just my poor assed white trash up-bringing but the strollers my parents had for me folded up to the size of an large umbrella, kind of looked like one with wheels. We would take cross country trips with a 5 person family in a K-car. Cracks me up to hear people claim they need some oversized car to fit a devise used to push around a 20 lb human being.
This sounds EXACTLY like my pre-child self... I'm not sure what happened...

Kids, I guess. Happy wife, happy life!

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Cracks me up to hear people claim they need some oversized car to fit a devise used to push around a 20 lb human being.
because parents of today carry more sh!t with them than when you grew up...

our family of 5 could fit in a datsun 310gx hatchback 2 door in 1980 with luggage in the back.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
because parents of today carry more sh!t with them than when you grew up...

our family of 5 could fit in a datsun 310gx hatchback 2 door in 1980 with luggage in the back.
You're going to tell me that you never travelled with toys?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've had better luck with Shimano than aftermarket hubs over the years, with the only bearing and axle issues I've had actually arising with aftermarket, cartridge bearing hubs (Nukeproof sticks out in my mind).

If XT proves a pain in the ass I can always revisit the issue later on (when I can afford it!) and build up some Kings or grab those fancypants Mavic wheels kidwoo favors.