Quantcast

Top ‘O The Mornin’ to Ya, Lads

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
That's fair, but IMO it also demonstrates that skilled riders experience the same "progress" everywhere - old techy trails being removed for new flat & flowy 6ft wide machine-built sidewalks with ugly grade reversals; and zero new steep/technical trails ever permitted to be built again.
But that's the thing. Daniels was never a sanctioned trail. Were I to hazard a guess, the city only knew about it because these same morons left their dork loggers running. That's how I found it, via heat mapping, and that was a long time ago. :D.

That said, if you can't find steep, technical trails in Cheyenne Canyon, the problem isn't the city building new trail, it's you. Just off the top of my head, I can think of half a dozen that remain "unmapped", but definitely show up on a Strava segment search.

Edit to add:. Just this month there was a proposal on the ballot to expand funding for TOPS, the Trails and Open Space program the city runs to fund parks, land purchases, and trail creation, often run in conjunction with Medicine Wheel, a wonderful local mountain biking advocacy group. It was a .01% sales tax increase, and was soundly defeated. If you voted against 2c and are in that thread bitching about new trail being created, fuck you and the bike you ride in Cheyenne Canyon on.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
some of the newer club-built trails up this way aren't the steepest, but they don't suck. they remain techy and chunky, still have steep bits, and like it or not they're more sustainable than fall line trails (of which there are still plenty hidden gems)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ugh, road construction shaking the whole house at 7am, doing what looks like classic spending of town money for no reason. Disrespectful idiots. :banghead:

I live on a two direction one way street, you can get caught in a traffic jam consisting of two cars. City just installed "traffic calming circles" at all of the intersections. WTF. I assume that my neighbor who stands outside of his house in the summer holding a 25mph speed limit sign screaming at cars going 15mph has something to do with it.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I live on a two direction one way street, you can get caught in a traffic jam consisting of two cars. City just installed "traffic calming circles" at all of the intersections. WTF. I assume that my neighbor who stands outside of his house in the summer holding a 25mph speed limit sign screaming at cars going 15mph has something to do with it.
Sounds like a good opportunity to beat his speed limit, on your bike.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Spent a half an hour in a staff meeting yesterday where we received training on how to guess if someone self identifies as Hispanic or Latino. It was one of the stranger experiences of my life. At the end of the exercise they would describe someone and everyone was supposed to guess how the self-identified. I just always used the persons name.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
some of the newer club-built trails up this way aren't the steepest, but they don't suck. they remain techy and chunky, still have steep bits, and like it or not they're more sustainable than fall line trails (of which there are still plenty hidden gems)
Booonanza and the new replacement top half of Mustang would like a word :p

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Put mi bici back together last night, after having all the squishy bits serviced. Gonna try and get out for a ride at some point today, that sounds nice. Stoked to have better working suspension. I'll need to check all the pressures and clickers and whatnot, of course.

The Baja 1000 rolls on, Trophy Trucks are crossing the line. They finished the 1226 mile course in a little less than 21 hours. By contrast, the lead Class 11 car (the class I race(d)) is basically halfway through. But with a 50-hour time limit and only being 21 hours in, I'd say we'll see some Class 11 finishers inside the limit. Stoked for that.

A couple days ago I learned that the father of one of our 2017 co-drivers passed away earlier this week. He was also on chase crew that year... hell he basically WAS the chase crew. My driver and I stayed at his house in San Felipe the day we went off the line, since the driver change for us to get in the car was in that town. He, like the rest of us, didn't sleep for the duration of our race. In the 58 hours it took us to finish he helped diagnose and fix electrical problems, delivered fuel to the car, pulled us out of silt a bunch of times, offered advice on chase logistics, and was basically there for anything anyone needed. A big man with a big heart, he was known by his friends as The Mayor of San Felipe. On our way home from La Paz, we stopped overnight at his place in San Felipe again, and he wasn't even there. Just told us the key code and let us have at it. I didn't really know him well, but I'm grateful I got to know him at all. He had a pretty critical role of one of the best memories I have. Rest in Peace, Mayor.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Spent a half an hour in a staff meeting yesterday where we received training on how to guess if someone self identifies as Hispanic or Latino. It was one of the stranger experiences of my life. At the end of the exercise they would describe someone and everyone was supposed to guess how the self-identified. I just always used the persons name.
Curious to know why this would matter. In what context would you possibly need to know if someone identified as Hispanic or Latino?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Curious to know why this would matter. In what context would you possibly need to know if someone identified as Hispanic or Latino?

The whole point confused the shit out of me. Seemed like the only possible outcome was to actually try to actually stereotype someone with the worst outcome guessing wrong and seemingly promoting referring to people by their background instead of you know, their names.

With all the shit that happened around the country last year, and a few disappointing incidents in the factory, our CEO mandated that we were going to have some difficult and open discussions on race. And at first I think there were some really valuable discussions within my team. But once that shit got processed through the corporate bullshit machine this is the bullshit we get. Tone-deaf and counter productive.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The whole point confused the shit out of me. Seemed like the only possible outcome was to actually try to actually stereotype someone with the worst outcome guessing wrong and seemingly promoting referring to people by their background instead of you know, their names.

With all the shit that happened around the country last year, and a few disappointing incidents in the factory, our CEO mandated that we were going to have some difficult and open discussions on race. And at first I think there were some really valuable discussions within my team. But once that shit got processed through the corporate bullshit machine this is the bullshit we get. Tone-deaf and counter productive.
they could really simplify all that and just tell everyone not to be a fucking asshole.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
But once that shit got processed through the corporate bullshit machine this is the bullshit we get. Tone-deaf and counter productive.
Have you been told yet that your social media activity is being monitored and needs to be in line with the corporate policy?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Perhaps I am misunderstanding. Were they trying to give you advanced training so that you could tell the difference between a latino and a hispanic person by improving your profiling skills? Or were they just giving you the basics - how to identify which non-whitey-group a customer, vendor or colleague belongs to. Either way, Congrats! You can now add "Profiling" to your LinkedIn skills list!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Per work protocol, 2nd covid test completed. Still don't have covid.

The nurse lady today was so much more gentle and even asked me to tilt my head back, before inserting the swab. The lady on Wednesday just said "mask down" and went elbow deep.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
California knows how to party...
IMG_20211114_165849804_compress37.jpg

Back towards the 406 / snow today, with just a wee bit of northern Nevada and Idaho first

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Came in hella early to bust out some productivity to find my machine in a random state of repair. Thanks assholes. Work day should be done by noon and I will not be here much afterwards.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Time to throw some weight on my back and wander around in the woods for a few hours. Gotta bank that fitness. Won’t be a whole lot of time after Black Friday until after the holidays for training.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Have you been told yet that your social media activity is being monitored and needs to be in line with the corporate policy?
Well isn't that awfully big brother of them.

Most places I have worked state that as long as you are not posting as a representative of the company, you are welcome to do what you want.

With the understanding of course that it doesn't absolve you for publicly posting abhorrent beliefs and being terminated as a result.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well isn't that awfully big brother of them.

Most places I have worked state that as long as you are not posting as a representative of the company, you are welcome to do what you want.

With the understanding of course that it doesn't absolve you for publicly posting abhorrent beliefs and being terminated as a result.
just a reminder: don't leave your privacy settings on "public"

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What's really crazy is we moved offices back in March because Columbia Sportswear bought out the business park. We have space for like 500 folks in one huge space vs the 4 buildings we had before. There are like 50 mother fuckers here, max. Driving by the old office and there ain't anybody there, either because Columbia is WFH like everyone else. But we still have a cafe, so that's cool. But my guess is 25 lunches tops on Monday and Friday.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Despite efforts for more clear communications I can't get more than 30 minutes of conversation time with my boss. Outside of that 30 minutes they don't even read the emails I send. I doubt they are monitoring anything.

We also have an internal social media system that is also unmonitored and everything on there turns ugly and does not meet corporate standards. Makes youtube comments seem reasonable.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Despite efforts for more clear communications I can't get more than 30 minutes of conversation time with my boss. Outside of that 30 minutes they don't even read the emails I send. I doubt they are monitoring anything.
My wife works for a large investment bank and they have an oversized ministry of groupthink that keeps warning employees to walk the corporate line.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My wife works for a large investment bank and they have an oversized ministry of groupthink that keeps warning employees to walk the corporate line.

Same here but with zero accountability or enforcement, and the leadership directing this being the worst offenders.