Quantcast

To be or not to be: Nomad

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
I realize this is a Q for the XC/AM forum, but it almost never has more than 10 people viewing..I assume lots of "downhillers" here also probably XC. My Q is this: is the Nomad a good bike for the do-it-all variety? I need something that can handle the lift every now and then (not often!), but is also good for burly XC/AM riding..ie, can it climb well or it just going to be a lumbering beast? I know it's preferable to have one bike for each type or riding, but I don't see a lot of lift riding in my future. Thanks!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Seems like Mark Wier climbs quite well and rips the dh on that bike... Not to mention it's one of the most popular AM bikes out there. I've had a couple buddies on them who love them (and absolutely rip). Sizing seems a bit small, so maybe test ride one first. Good luck!

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Great, thanks for the words..Sizing, huh? Yeah, I ride a medium SC Chameleon and I love the fit..Hoping the Medium Nomad is the right move now!

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
It's a great bike. I was set on buying one until I demoed it back to back with a Mojo HD which I thought was better at everything.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Do eeetttt!

Also, if you are like me and only do the climbing for the descending then invest in an angleset or similar product and get one with a coil shock.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Do eeetttt!

Also, if you are like me and only do the climbing for the descending then invest in an angleset or similar product and get one with a coil shock.
I agree with this

Also,
sizing probably won't be an issue if you're coming from a Santa Cruz, but it doesn't hurt to check. I ride a medium specialized, but have felt super cramped on other brand's mediums. Could be that specialized is the funky one...

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I can rip my Nomad everywhere. From long climbs, to shuttle runs to jumps and ladder drops, it rocks. Heck, right now I use it as a pedal machine on 20 mile flat loops because the Florida mountain bike scene is about as exciting as going to the dentist.

As for sizing, I've got a medium Chameleon and a large Nomad, but I run a 70mm stem on the Chameleon and a 50mm stem on the Nomad. The large Nomad is perfect. For reference: I'm 5'11 and change, and usually rock a medium DH frame.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
As for sizing, I've got a medium Chameleon and a large Nomad, but I run a 70mm stem on the Chameleon and a 50mm stem on the Nomad. The large Nomad is perfect. For reference: I'm 5'11 and change, and usually rock a medium DH frame.
I'm about the same size and I ride the medium. The cockpit is probably not as big as it should be for long climbs but I like the maneuverability of the smaller frame. The bike has a long wheel base and I don't have trouble getting behind the front wheel on the fast/steep stuff.

I can comfortably ride both sizes so for someone in the gray zone of M/L like me it's all about preference.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm 6"1" and love my large carbon Nomad. Just yesterday a friend was asking me if I was thinking about a different trail bike this spring, and I realized that my Nomad makes me so happy that I see no need for something else. I'm running a -1 degree angleset. Like any "one" bike, you'll make compromises in certain situations but it's an incredibly versatile ride.

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Just yesterday a friend was asking me if I was thinking about a different trail bike this spring, and I realized that my Nomad makes me so happy that I see no need for something else.
Let's be clear: The offer was for a free new frame, or even fully built loaners of bikes still in development, and OGR said "i'm pretty happy with my Nomad. It's new for me, but I'm a lot more interested in riding right now than I am about new gear, and I'm happy with my bike". With age comes maturity? Hopefully this trend doesn't affect the rest of the population, or the aero road market is the next bubble.

edit: free really means paying old debts

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Sweet. Thanks! Great advice, fellas. Weird, I wasn't getting the updates so I didn't know anyone was writing on the thread. My bad! Yeah, sounds like the medium would do the trick. Yeah, my medium Chameleon probably makes some extended climbs a little uncomfortable, but I totally dig the flickability of having a tad cramped cockpit. How do you guys feel about having it set as a 1x9? It's built that way now and definitely on the much lighter side of the build spectrum..

bracken

Chimp
Apr 10, 2012
...How do you guys feel about having it set as a 1x9? It's built that way now and definitely on the much lighter side of the build spectrum..
I'm running 1x10 on a Nomad c, and I love it. My gearing is 32 x 11-36. I live in Colorado, so that 36 definitely gets punished, but it'll get you up most anything if you're a decently strong climber. You'll want a full guide on it (I'm running the Straitline Silent Guide).

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I had the first generation Nomad and it was my "other" bike for my 4 day a week riding at Northstar in the summer of 2009. I loved that bike for lift assisted. It was a champ on the drop on Boondocks. Mind you, I was running a coil shock for that, and the air for anything else. That bike was an awesome swiss army knife.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
Really like my Alu nomad vp2. A lot of trouble-free miles. The pivots have been great from a maintenance & durability perspective.

I don't know what tune they ship with currently, but IME none of the stock shocks felt quite right. The push monarch AM is only $300, and gives you lo and hi speed compression adj plus tuning for the nomad leverage curve and your weight. For me it transformed the bike.

I have heard good things about the push link if you want to go coil, but sounds like you equally value uphill and downhill performance.

The carbon nomad is pretty popular in tahoe, and some guys ride them hard.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I never really liked my v2 aluminum nomad. It felt like it had 2" of travel when riding anything rough at speed. My blur ltc on the other hand I freaking love. Feels like it descends just as well, if not better than the nomad and goes uphill much quicker.