Quantcast

TMX owners:what lb spring are you running

chaloots

Chimp
Mar 16, 2004
dirty jerz via Bklyn
on your avalanche rear shock.i'm running a 550lb spring.also what size wheels ? i just switched to a 26 rear wheel .i keep buzzing the saddle w/the rear wheel. the compression on the axy is almost maxed out.the chain stay position is almost at its shortest and i really dont want to stretch out my wheel base any more.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
which swingarm shock hole are you using? the closest to the seatpost or the farthest one? Try using the closest to seatpost shock mount hole, otherwise u might need a stiffer spring.

Christian -

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
you need to move your seat up &/or forward. i was buzzing my seat on my first runs this weekend - the raked seat tube places the seat low to the tire.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
well it depends, since he can limit the wheel travel by moving the shock to the swingarm shock mount cosest to the seat-tube, this might make the rear wheel not travel up high enough to hit the seat and he might be able to keep his seat where it feel confortable. Moving the shock that way also makes it a bit more progressive (or less regressive), and help with the second problem which is using a lot of the travel too fast. Might solve 2 problems at once. But of course if that fails then yes you'll need to move your seat either up or forward (assuming you don't have the brooklyn seat post) or a combo of both.

Good luck and happy TMXing

chaloots

Chimp
Mar 16, 2004
dirty jerz via Bklyn
the seat is as far forward as it can go.its also as high as i feel comfortable on.i even switched the BMW seat for a skinny sdg seat.i'm running the thompson post w/angled head .i cant put the nose of the saddle down any further. ill try the old bmx style post tonight.i have the shock in one of the middle positions ( 8" setting) ill try swictch mounting holes but isnt the avy configued to work in a certain specific position?

by the waY guys what lb spring are you guys running?
what size rear wheel?

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Well the avy is configured to work best in a certain mount, however from your description I think you're saying you're hitting travel bottom wuite easily, so one solution would be to revalve the Avy to be a bit stiffer, but a simpler solution might be to go to the other shock mount which would help the avy become a bit stiffer. Definitely give it a shot and see if you can feel the difference. From what I know the middle hole is kind-of a in between setting, the hole closest to the wheel is for fast fast rolling DH and the hole closest to the post makes it a bit firmer and go through the travel a bit harder, hence less bottom out for big drops etc.

btw I think the middle hole is 9", the hole closest to the wheel is 10" and the hole closest to the seat post is 8". mmmmmmm, travellllllll... :drool:

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
my shock is not right. i need it valved firmer and a higher rate spring. I'm going through too much travel and the rebound is too fast for my taste. I'll post more in a few weeks once I get things squared away.

Also, the hole on the swing arm closest to the fender is the 8" position I believe and will give the shock more progression. That's what I've kept the shock in since I got the frame.

joel

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've also heard the avy works optimally in the lower travel locations (i'm using the middle holes up & down). i havent tried messing around, though. my damping is pretty close to spot on; i've bottomed *slightly* a couple times on large flatter drops, but its buttery goodness pretty much everwhere. I'm running a 450 lb spring; only a couple clicks rebound; compression is dialed in maybe 60% (i'm ~165 lbs).