Quantcast

TLD Helmet help!!!

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Ok, I remember that this topic was discussed not to long ago but couldn't find it through the search function. My foam shell on my D2 helmet is separating from the outer shell before the glue came off. Is this a warranty issue or should I try to fix it myself? Any info would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, if this is a warranty issue, did you guys contact TLD directly?

Many thanks.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
I had the same issue and fixed it with hot melt glue. I tested a smal section first to make sure that it would not damage the foam. If the glue looked like it was going to do damage, I was going to use silicon caulking. One of the helmet painter monkey's also suggested double sided foam tape, but I think that that would be a pain in the ass.
The hot melt was perfect.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I've used double sided foam tape in the past. Right now I'm just letting it float freely, once you stick the liner in there the movement is pretty minimal.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I had the same issue with my first TLD helmet and when we called they said to have the dealer service it. It was repaired with hot glue. But I would definitely suggest calling them first and have them tell you that and document it in case of any further warranty issues you might have.

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Velocity Girl said:
I had the same issue with my first TLD helmet and when we called they said to have the dealer service it. It was repaired with hot glue. But I would definitely suggest calling them first and have them tell you that and document it in case of any further warranty issues you might have.
Are they still the same on the 04 helmets? To me, it doesn't seem like the glue will hold even after they fix it.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
PoserNewbie said:
Are they still the same on the 04 helmets? To me, it doesn't seem like the glue will hold even after they fix it.
The glue points on my helmet were very small. There were only 2 dots on each side and they were about 3" apart. When I fixed it, I glued along the whole 3" stretch. No movement what so ever now. It looked like they used hotmelt to start, but used so little of it that it pulled right off.