Quantcast

Titanium spokes... Where can I buy them?

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I need some Ti spokes and they're not for wheels. The GF's dad has a 40' troller that he runs during the summer off the west coast of BC. He uses Ti spokes to secure his gear because they won't corrode.

Any idea where I can get some? Length isn't a huge issue.

I found one set on eBay but that seems to be all I can find.

Thanks.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
Not sure if he needs the J-hook shape or not......but he could save a ton of coin by ordering round bar stock from Mcmaster-Carr. I'm assuming he's just cutting the spokes into straight sections with no threads or bends anyway. You can order a 1/16" diameter, 6' long Ti rod for $4.81.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-titanium-rods/=c9g1g8
He actually uses the J bend and the threads to secure the gear somehow. I'm going to have to ask him for a picture of how he rigs it up.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Aren't regular spokes stainless steel and rather corrosion resistant?

Edit: Question answered before I asked it. I guess spokes do not have enough nickel or chrome in them for saltwater enviros.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
If he doesn't end up needing the J bend and thread I'll get him some Inconel bar. It's what we use for sour wells in the oil patch.

heavy metal

Monkey
Mar 31, 2011
HI
stainless steel is not totally resistant to corrosion. his gear is at sea where the constant wet, salty conditions will compromise the material given enough time.