Quantcast

titanium bolts for stem use?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yeah, that is why the rear end of the Bugatti Veyron is held together by just 14 Ti bolts trolololol

Inb4 the sh1tstorm :D:D
I can pretty much guarantee you two things:
1. The structure of the Veyron has a significant safety margin (first off, it's a production car, and secondly, it weighs nearly 2000kg). You CAN make Ti bolts work, but it's not a great idea to replace highly stressed hi-ten steel bolts of a specific size with titanium.
2. They aren't using all-thread on those Ti bolts.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
1. The structure of the Veyron has a significant safety margin (first off, it's a production car, and secondly, it weighs nearly 2000kg). You CAN make Ti bolts work, but it's not a great idea to replace highly stressed hi-ten steel bolts of a specific size with titanium.
The Ti bolts would also probably be larger than they would be if they were steel.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Here they are.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
lucky they used those instead of mild steel huh?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
All four of them on my stem only snapped when I crashed. I got up and my bars were hanging from the bike. Thank god I wasn't hurt. In addition to several of the remaining Ti bolts being frozen at the end of that season (despite being anti-siezed) and ruining a nice set of Boxxer crowns, I concluded they're pretty much the biggest waste of money in downhill IMO.
I don't use them in my boxxer crowns any more. Constantly siezed however clean/copperslipped they were. Something to do with the material I presume, dunno. Steel there for me now.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
just like the brits and any single thing that comes out of the UK...nuke proof, Orange, etc....ZOMG it's the dogs bollocks!!!!!
Believe it or not we don't all ride hoped-up oranges. I have a canadian frame, american forks/hubs/rims/post, japanese gears, italian brakes.

That said, I do have a Hope stem, and I do think it rocks. So sue me :)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm surprised hollow steel bolts don't make more appearances on bikes, I'd run them over Ti any day.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
while i love thomson seatposts and that's what i run, the one part of a bike that i never think about regardless of what i'm running is a seatpost, period....

thomson, sdg, race face, ****ty oe spec...whatever it is, i usually pay no mind because lets face it, compared to some other parts on a bike these days it can't be too hard to engineer a seatpost that works

right after I got my Evil built it up and realized seatpost size was different and needed a seatpost super fast for a ride that day. Went to performance and bought their house brand seatpost. Mind you this was a DH bike so post wasnt up high at all. Tearing down a trail and hit a little step-up that had tree climb crossing it, hit it way too hot and hit my helmet of the treelimb. It ripped me straight off the bike. Now either during this action or the tumble of the bike seatpost sheared off at the seatpost tube. clean break, straight across. bummed.

From then on out, I bought a thomson masterpiece and haven't thought twice about it. For me the cost difference and the feeling of a lack of security from Ti isnt worth swapping over. Im not a industrial engineer, have no real facts but it's just a feeling and a place I dont ever want to put my face into.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
right after I got my Evil built it up and realized seatpost size was different and needed a seatpost super fast for a ride that day. Went to performance and bought their house brand seatpost. Mind you this was a DH bike so post wasnt up high at all. Tearing down a trail and hit a little step-up that had tree climb crossing it, hit it way too hot and hit my helmet of the treelimb. It ripped me straight off the bike. Now either during this action or the tumble of the bike seatpost sheared off at the seatpost tube. clean break, straight across. bummed.

From then on out, I bought a thomson masterpiece and haven't thought twice about it. For me the cost difference and the feeling of a lack of security from Ti isnt worth swapping over. Im not a industrial engineer, have no real facts but it's just a feeling and a place I dont ever want to put my face into.