Quantcast

tires or tyres?

2inthehole

Chimp
May 21, 2004
central
just picked up my first F/S freeride/downhill bike...
i can finally run over a 2.35 so i was thinking 2.5's.....what tires do you guys recommend
i ride about 50/50 urban and dirt.....
:help:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
You doing alot of pedaling and climbing? 2.35 atleast in the back....no climbing then go for 2.5.

Of course this is a general suggestion as the actual tires make a big diff. MAxxis DH 2.5 are a whole bunch heavier than say WTB MutanoRaptors (I can't remember if that is the name of their tire I got...they are like bulbous XC tires :D )

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If I had to pick one and never change tires again.
High roller 2.5 front / 2.35 rear.
Good rolling, good side knobs, not too heavy.
The 2.35 has a lighter casing so you can actually pedal it.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
For a all around tire id run high rollers. Like buildyourown said about them they roll good and have good knobs and such. Plus the side knobs arent huge like mobsters so less likely to rip off when riding street and such.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I have been really happy with the Fire FR Pro's. They are grippy but roll smoothly and climb pretty well for such a fat tire.

Juanjo

Chimp
May 15, 2004
NJ/NY USA
I have HighRoller 2.5 in the back and Gazzy 3.0 in the front and the only "problem" that I have with the HR is that they wear to fast, even the 60duro...but no problem about pedaling up hill...I do a lot of pedaling .
Anyway I'll change my set-up with a Gazzy 2.6 for the back.
3.0 < > 2.6 ...sweet.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
I like 2.7 minion slow reezy in the front and a 2.5 highroller back. The High Rollers run pretty small, and i like the beefyness of the 2ply casing. That combo has worked wonders for me, and I roll fast during erben jib seshes with the boys when I remember to pump my tires up.