Quantcast

Tire Questions...michelin, maxxis and kenda

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So I am building a new bike and trying to pay somewhat attention to weight. I have a michelin 2.5 16AT for front and 2.6 24AT for rear. I have not been able to find accurate weights for these tires but they do feel heavy, does anyone know the weight? I am thinking atleast 1250g?

I usually am a Maxxis guy but am wanting to try something different just to try. I have built up a somewhat narrow wheelset 28mm and I am looking for a good rolling lightweight tire. I dont ride real rocky terrain so I am open to riding a folding or single ply tire. I ride mainly on hardpack to sugar sandy type terrain

Is the kenda Nevegal Folding a good choice or would the maxxis advantage be better?

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
If you do a search, there are LOADS of good bits of info regarding these popular tires.

The weights for the Michi stuff should be on their website, but if not I have a link to their old site w/ weights.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Cool that is what I thought so I will be saving almost a lb per tire by goign to maxxis advantage 850g 2.4 tires

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Cool that is what I thought so I will be saving almost a lb per tire by goign to maxxis advantage 850g 2.4 tires
careful with the advantage tires. the sidewalls are thin and slice easy on rocks. check for schwalbe big betty tires instead. they grip better (for my socal conditions) and they are tougher. they aren't much heavier, though the cost can be a bit higher depending on where you get them.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
I am now considering keeping the michelins I have on there..I am just very curious of how they are going to perform. I have been a maxxis guy forever and have had no complaints except that my minions do wash out on the loose stuff so I like the tighter tread pattern on the 16 and 24, they look liek they will be a good tire.

I ride out in south florida so its not too rocky..more sandy and rooty

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
careful with the advantage tires. the sidewalls are thin and slice easy on rocks. check for schwalbe big betty tires instead. they grip better (for my socal conditions) and they are tougher. they aren't much heavier, though the cost can be a bit higher depending on where you get them.
scwablwe big betty is almost 400 GRAMS light then a 24/16.
with just as mich traction IMO. the perfect tire.

try the new triple compound, best of evrything , rolling, wear and gooey traction.