Quantcast

Tipping: Do to-go orders warrant it?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
blue said:
Most places in Europe automatically add the tip onto the price of the food and their waitstaff gets paid A LIVING WAGE, rather than depend on assholes such as yourselves to get by.
Why are you calling him an ass? He said that some restaurant is automatically charging a tip to *takeout* orders. That's asinine.

It's very rare that I tip below 20% (You've gotta be an ass to accomplish this), and I make 10k a year and go to school. Get real, it's not like you're having to forgo buying little Jimmy shoes if you tip the waitress making $2.13 an hour.
I generally tip around 15% unless the service is exceptional. This crap that tips "used" to be 15% but now they're 20% is hogwash. Especially when the meal costs $200.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
SkaredShtles said:
I generally tip around 15% unless the service is exceptional. This crap that tips "used" to be 15% but now they're 20% is hogwash. Especially when the meal costs $200.
if you can't afford a decent tip into your expensive dinner...then you shouldn't be going out in the first place...or pick someplace cheaper...but 15% is adequate...unless they gave you excellent service...or you asked for something special for a special occasion...then you better kick down...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
goodtobeIrie said:
if you can't afford a decent tip into your expensive dinner...then you shouldn't be going out in the first place...or pick someplace cheaper...but 15% is adequate...unless they gave you excellent service...or you asked for something special for a special occasion...then you better kick down...
I said I tip 15% unless the service was exceptional, Fatty. :rolleyes:

Or were you not talking to me? :p

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I was a tow truck driver, I would get a tip every now and then. I got a $20 for changing a tire on the freeway at around 2:00 am from a former Portland Trailblazer.

That was the only job I ever had where people tipped. My wife was a waitress for 100 years, so she is a bitch when it comes to tipping. Good service gets bank, bad service gets nothing.

I agree with BMX though. If you depend on tips as part of your income, you might reconsider your choice of employment.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jimmydean said:
I agree with BMX though. If you depend on tips as part of your income, you might reconsider your choice of employment.
any of you cheap bastards ever buy a meal in europe? yeah, it's generally more expensive. because the tip is already factored in.

don't gyp the server because you disagree w/ how the industry is run. it's not the waitstaff's fault. and last i checked, there wasn't a national waitstaff union to force a mindset change (not that i think a union's the right idea either).

unless the service stank, i always tip a minimum of %15 and usually more, but i do take some exception at having a nice bottle of wine also factored into the tip. if they want, i can uncork the bottle for them.

splat

Nam I am
Even When the Tip is factored in, it is amazing a What good tip can do!!

My wife and I went to an All inclusive resort, but we got there a Day early ( long story ) so the first night we had our room but at this point the Meals/drinks were not included, well it was late and we were hungry so we just ate at the resorts restuarant, I did not know the tip was included in the Bill , so I tipped the Guy a little over %15 ( the service was good ) well for the next week got the BEST service you can imagine from that waiter, ( it was so good I tipped him some more before we left)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When I was in the Philippines, I didn't tip 15%, because that would have been about $.25 US for a meal. I was tipping an average of 300% and the service got better as the night went on.

But again, I would never consider tips as a portion of my wage because there are too many factors involved. I would look at it like overtime, it makes for a nice check when it's available, but not something I could count on.

I know when I interviewed at Microsoft oh so many years ago, they tried to offer me a lower wage with the promise of overtime to make up the difference.

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
blue said:
Most places in Europe automatically add the tip onto the price of the food and their waitstaff gets paid A LIVING WAGE, rather than depend on assholes such as yourselves to get by. It's very rare that I tip below 20% (You've gotta be an ass to accomplish this), and I make 10k a year and go to school. Get real, it's not like you're having to forgo buying little Jimmy shoes if you tip the waitress making $2.13 an hour.

:rolleyes:
suck my ass, i didnt say i was ordering out and i didnt say i didnt tip
i was merely commenting on a sign i noticed

ive worked as wait staff so i KNOW what that side of the table is like

if the service is good i tip
if it aint i dont
i know the difference
go f'yourself

rant over

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
narlus said:
any of you cheap bastards ever buy a meal in europe? yeah, it's generally more expensive. because the tip is already factored in.

don't gyp the server because you disagree w/ how the industry is run. it's not the waitstaff's fault. and last i checked, there wasn't a national waitstaff union to force a mindset change (not that i think a union's the right idea either).
^What he said.

I will usually tip around 20%+ just because I know there's plenty of cheap ratbastards out there (as evidenced by this thread) who aren't going to tip jack****. It really sucks to be working your ass off for $2.15 an hour, do a huge group of people, and maybe get a 5$ tip for $200 worth of food. At a restaraunt I once worked at we had this awesome girl who was reduced to tears by some woman who claimed to have once been a waitress, and instead of giving her a tip, railed on her about how she was a ****ty waitress and how she should be better (calling it her tip). Servers get treated like ****, and their pay only adds to it. I don't agree with how the American foodservice industry is run (IE, customers expected to subsidize employee pay externally), but telling them to go find another job is kind of ricidulous. They perform a task relatively vital to the restaurant industry, and many enjoy their jobs. Perhaps your idea of ideal wait staff would be to truck in illegal immigrants and pay them the subpar wage without tips? Have any of you attempted to find a living-wage paying job recently? They don't exist. Welcome to the new American economy (or lack thereof). If you have a problem with tipping your servers/drivers, go complain to the manager/owner.

SS, have you ever been a server/delivery person?

Capitalism at work... :rolleyes:

I really can't believe some responses to this thread. Most of you are upper-middle/upper class, and have plenty of cash to spare (as you can easily blow it on bicycles thousands of dollars), but you can't seem to give a server a decent tip to help them get through college/single parenting/life.

Thanks, assholes. Keep Wal-Marting it up! :thumb:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
blue said:
Look everyone! It's Loco Jr.!
aha i swear some of these guys need an e-break, it's like they post while on the rag.

i always like those stupid signs some restaurants have Tipping is not a city in China

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
kinghami3 said:
If you don't want to tip, get of you lazy a$$ and do it yourself. Don't make someone else do it then jip them. A tip is an incentive to do a good job, the better job I do, the more you should tip. In my opinion (and this is after working in an office, print shop, construction, etc.) that tipping is ideally the fairest method of payment, though it doesn't always work out that way. As a college student with no Work Study, this is about the highest paying job I can get in a place like Seattle.

Lazy @ss...you speak as if you know me and you don't! I guess you need an incentive to do a good job. Well that's where you and I differ. Any employee should perform to the best of their ability at ALL TIMES!!!.... I manage a wait staff and I was a waiter for over 4 years. It's not like I don't know.

If I knew one of my staff was only performing well if they thought they were going to get a big tip they wouldn't have a job for very long. You need to think about that. You work is a direct reflection of yourself.....D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
goodtobeIrie said:
I hope you go to the same restaurant sometimes...because I guarantee they're messing with your food for not tipping...people who do not tip are scum of the earth...Food service is an excellent paying job for the hours you have to put in if you work for a decent place...if you work for a crap place and have a lot of cheapskate people who don't deserve to live not tip you...then you still get 8% of that check taxed to you...because they assume some jackass isn't too cheap to leave at least 10% at a restaurant...most of these servers are just trying to survive, especially a lot of college students...and you're taking money OUT of there pocket by not tipping them...so quit being a loser

now if they suck ass at serving you...leave a bad tip...but they still got you your food didn't they...and sometimes people have a bad day, the cooks are being assholes, nothing in the restaurant is going right...it's just way too busy...(if you want good service, you should avoid eating during the rush hours)...or you're just an asshole customer from the get go so they don't care and treat you like crap cuz they want to and could care less about the $1, if they're lucky, you're gonna leave anyways...
hmm...another personal attack.....what are you five years old! How is it my responsibility to provide for someone outside my family? You think because I don't always tip they mess with my food? Wow that's great incentive to tip. This is exactly what I was referring to. The system needs to be changed. You think people who don't tip are the scum of the earth? You obviously don't get out much.

Oh and if they're terrbile they should still get a tip...how logical is that? Look I'm not saying a person should never tip but expecting a tip is silly. If you perform your job well you will get tipped simple as that....but like I said earlier it's not very logical to rely on other peoples kindness or what you perceive as an obligation to tip. College blah blah blah...yeah I been there and done that. You can get plenty of jobs while in school that pay a decent wage. I did and so did many of my friends.....D

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
BMXman said:
Lazy @ss...you speak as if you know me and you don't! I guess you need an incentive to do a good job. Well that's where you and I differ. Any employee should perform to the best of their ability at ALL TIMES!!!.... I manage a wait staff and I was a waiter for over 4 years. It's not like I don't know.

If I knew one of my staff was only performing well if they thought they were going to get a big tip they wouldn't have a job for very long. You need to think about that. You work is a direct reflection of yourself.....D
I need incentive? You speak as if you know me; it goes both ways. Try looking at it not just an incentive to do good, but a thank you for doing good. That said, I am going to work just as hard no matter what, that is just how I do things. As Narlus said, wages for jobs where people are tipped are so low because it is assumed that they are going to be tipped, especially when they are paid minimum wage plus tips. When you deny someone a tip, you are being disrespectful to hard working people, in effect saying that their services weren't good enough or up to your heavenly standards, that they have failed. Even now in my early 20s I have too much experience under my belt to be treated that way. Just because the system may be unfair, at least in your opinion, doesn't mean that anyone should be cheating people out of the money they rely on to pay their bills.

A job like this is meant to help my parents and I pay my way through college. I chose it because it pays well and the hours are flexible, and I am willing to work hard to make as much money as possible. If all goes well, in a number of years I will be teaching college level history, but for now this job is needed to pay for food and tuition, and many other students are in the same situation. The people who you do or don't tip are working hard in a system where it is expected that they make much of their income on tips. I don't care how long you have been in the business or how much you expect of your waiting staff, do them justice and tip them.

-Andrew

Crash_Tested

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
wCo
bunch of cheap bastards. don't want to tip well serve your damn selve at home. the person taking your to-go order and money packs that sheot up for you.

and have you ever been to europe (living wage), the service absolutly sucks.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I tip at the places that I go to often. Dont want them to see me coming and add in a little extra sauce because im a cheap skate....

I NEVER tip at starbucks though....... but then i generally only drink coffee, and when i order a fancy drink they always seem to Fk it up,,,,,

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
BMXman said:
hmm...another personal attack.....what are you five years old! How is it my responsibility to provide for someone outside my family? You think because I don't always tip they mess with my food? Wow that's great incentive to tip. This is exactly what I was referring to. The system needs to be changed. You think people who don't tip are the scum of the earth? You obviously don't get out much.

Oh and if they're terrbile they should still get a tip...how logical is that? Look I'm not saying a person should never tip but expecting a tip is silly. If you perform your job well you will get tipped simple as that....but like I said earlier it's not very logical to rely on other peoples kindness or what you perceive as an obligation to tip. College blah blah blah...yeah I been there and done that. You can get plenty of jobs while in school that pay a decent wage. I did and so did many of my friends.....D
another personal attack?? are you kidding me...I just state my opinion...and I think non-tippers are scumbags...

I can only hope you have a bad day sometime...and whatever it is that you do...you don't get forgiven...ie:no tip...

and yes, tipping is an obligation when you go out to dinner...it's common sense and courtesy...now what percentage they deserve...well, of course, that's circumstantial...

may your terrible tipping karma give you horrible restaurant food til you redeem yourself...:love: but instead you will choose to give your tip money to the L. Ron Hubbard fund...:rolleyes:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Why does everyone care if everyone else tips? This is a discussion. Someone should be able to state their opinion without getting called the scum of the earth. If you really think you are going to change someone else's philosopy in life here, you are deluded...

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I feel sorry for wait staff in some places. you can usually tell the restaurants that pay their staff a decent wage because they are generally happier and really do a better job. The cheap ass businesses that pay their staff in peanuts I think are partly to blame for poor tipping. The owner of the business should give their employees incentive to do good work through their paychecks. Then if that person wants to go above and beyond and get more out of the customer, it is up to them. I have had my ass kissed by a waitperson on more than one occasion who was obviously trying to get a better tip, but at the same time was obviously grumpy and I always assume it's the overall morale of the workplace that affects workers moods.

Bottom line (my opinion): happy workplace (of which wage is a major part)=happy employees=happy customers=bigger tips.

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Echo said:
Why does everyone care if everyone else tips? This is a discussion. Someone should be able to state their opinion without getting called the scum of the earth. If you really think you are going to change someone else's philosopy in life here, you are deluded...
Sorry, these aren't meant to be personal attacks on BMXman or anyone else, but it's my opinion regarding why we tip, along with the moral justification.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
narlus said:
i believe it's called decent human behavior, and if yr a prick based on your thoughts and actions, you should be called out as such.
COMMUNIST!@$^!@*$%!@$

We could always just stop paying servers and drive them to revolution... :oink:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
BMXman does everything he does just for the sake of being different. His schtik is tired.

goodtobeIrie

Monkey
Aug 25, 2004
nor cal
Echo said:
get a clue...deluded my ass...I'm not trying to change someone's philosophy...just making fun of him for being a cheapskate...
I should be able to state my opinion that non tippers are scum of the earth...cuz they are IMO...cheap pieces of crap should go to burger king if they can't afford the tip...and let the servers spend more time on us people who WILL tip...

and these words aren't hateful...I just think that some people's life's should be ended based on their own moral codes...:love:

and I care cuz I used to be a server for many years...and the people that don't tip are a waste of your time and money...they deserve bad food for the rest of their useless lives...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
tip jars yes, tipping bar tenders that ring up my order, not anymore.

we had a tip jar at the deli i worked in and could make a nice chunk of change if people were feeling generous. the tips went to everyone in the deli, cooks and front of the store people. i'm not going to tip a bar tender for ringing me up though. i used to because i was a chronic over tipper, but TN has showed me the error of my ways.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
p.s. i never get take out orders from places that waitresses bring me the food. my food is always just waiting behind the bar for me.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
riverside73 said:
The owner of the business should give their employees incentive to do good work through their paychecks. Then if that person wants to go above and beyond and get more out of the customer, it is up to them.

Bottom line (my opinion): happy workplace (of which wage is a major part)=happy employees=happy customers=bigger tips.
that's how it used to be...once the business owners found out that their employees were making alot of tips they came up with the idea of paying the employees less....they made the employees dependent upon tips. Oh, and how about the million or so people per year who get tips and DO NOT report them as income....You can be sure some of them are or were posting in this thread.....D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BMXman said:
that's how it used to be...once the business owners found out that their employees were making alot of tips they came up with the idea of paying the employees less....they made the employees dependent upon tips. Oh, and how about the million or so people per year who get tips and DO NOT report them as income....You can be sure some of them are or were posting in this thread.....D
if you think the major tax cheats of this country work as waitstaff....well, can i live in yr world???

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i tip from time to time at the pizza place we always order from. but if anything its just a buck or so at most. but if i do get rung up by a girl who is really hot, i generally tip.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
BMXman said:
Oh, and how about the million or so people per year who get tips and DO NOT report them as income....You can be sure some of them are or were posting in this thread.....D
maybe your "million" estimate was off? if not, what is your concern?