Quantcast

time removal

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
I've got some times which the threads are siezed onto the crank. They haven't been off the crank in almost 2 years. My old shop back home got the non drive off with an air ratchet, but the drive side was completly stuck. I've tried shimano thread loosener and let it sit overnight, but all I do is round off allen wrenches. The interface on the pedal is still intact, but it just won't budge. (and yes I'm going in the right direction) Has anyone else run across this? I don't want to dremil the cranks to get it off, as I want to keep the cranks. I just want to try another set of pedals and these won't come off. Are there any super duper strong thread breakers or should I try a motorcycle shop for an air wrench or should I heat the end of the crank or even try to cut wrench flats on the axel? - the last two I don't want to do.

-peace

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
allen wrench. they are the older style that doesn't have pedal flats. New in 2000. hell, they still rock, I just want to experiment with some other pedals and a buddy is letting me try his bike but he doen't ride times.
I'm gonna try someplace with an air wrench.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Have you tried removing the crank and holding the allen in a vice?
My only other idea would be to heat it up and let it cool down several times. Soemtimes the expansion/contraction can loosen things.
Also try every brand of penetrating oil that you can find.