We are happy to bring you our brand new Race Flyer -----

We'll see you there!!!

Rider: Rick Nolan
Photographer: Ludovic Moore

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
What course will the two races be on?
Looking forward to seeing a video preview - come on JR... I know you have plenty of time (right after hand-building those trails)

simontac

Chimp
Jul 29, 2010
Thanks,

Just saw the attached race poster at the start of the thread.

I plan on calling tomorrow at the number at the bottom of the race poster... Lodging/racing for $35 for SuperD Saturday (assuming) and DH Sunday.

Sounds like a great time. Wonder what format the SuperD is. I kow up here in Ontario I can and have raced the SuperD course on my HT. Is this race weekend like that, or requires the same bike both days, etc, etc.

Anyway, thanks for the reply - Anyone with other info fill me in, but if not I will call tomorrow and get some more info direct from them and post whatever updated info I can get.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Does the race poster really say a 2 day lift pass, race registration and lodging for $35.00?
Sounds like quite the deal!

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
I might actually make it to a DH race this year...

How far is this place from cross lanes? I'll probably be doing a moto race there Saturday night and would like to head over there to race DH Sunday.

ludovic

Chimp
Aug 5, 2008
You can race the DH on 1 bike and the Super D on another.
Your times will be separated.
If, however, you decide to race both on the same bike, you have a chance to place twice (see above) AS WELL as placing on the Big Kahuna (total of both races for a 3rd placement).

$35 ??????
Yes, actually, you heard right!
Two days of riding, race registration, AND lodging.
Lodging is minimal, at the heated bunk house, with hot water and batrooms - but you got to bring your own blankets and sheets.

If your heart desires more "upscale" lodging, then visit www.T4SR.com - they have about every vacation home / apartments you can imagine (over 200 to choose from in all).

The Riding:
Well, I'd recommend 6+ inches all mountain if you are going to do both.
You can certainly do it with less (I've done the courses on a 80mm lefty / 29er bike - sketched out to da max). Needless to say, you would have a lot more fun with 9 inches of travel for the DH and 7+ inches for the Super D.

Let us know if you need any other info. If I don't know, I'll find out for you.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Anymore info on the bunkhouses? My girlfriend wants to come to the race, but I want to make sure she won't be bitching the whole time about the sleeping arrangements.
Bunkhouse is a bunkhouse. Carpet looks ruff. Bunks are made of 2x4's. Matresses are covered in vinyl. They have heat and a shower. Each room has 10 bunk's and you can end sleeping with strangers. Bring your own blankets and pillow......

It is a great accomodations for being a racer, if you just want a place to crash and wash-up. But not GF material at all......

Hollywood

Chimp
Apr 23, 2005
Frederick, MD
there is camping on site about a 5 minute pedaling job from the lift/bike center. Dont know about the bonfire part and facilities. Most of the time you can even camp at the top of the mountain not sure if they will do it race day or not. The bunk house is actually a minimum of 15 bunks in some rooms then other rooms are doubled up. Everything else is pretty much true.If you have facebook you check them out at Timberline, WV Downhill/XC Bike Center

Keep the post alive

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Weekend of Oct. 8 & 9 races CANCELED

SuperD race cancellation announcement

The last half mile of our SuperD course traverses private property. This week the tract was worked by machinery to prepare for development. A reroute is needed to complete the SuperD course. To produce a track (within the ten days remaining) that matches the quality of the original course would require an entirely new route. Timberline will put only the best courses up for our riders and will not compromise our product to meet a deadline. In order to run the Oct 8,9 SuperD a compromise would have to be made. This is not what we are here to do, consequently the SuperD is canceled.

DH race cancellation announcement

Our timing equipment provider and the personnel to operate it are no longer able to meet their obligations. In keeping with the culture of not running any aspect of our Bike Park in a less than professional manner . . . The DH is also canceled.

Our decision to not run this event protects our riders and insures that we meet or exceed the expectations of anyone who comes to Timberline to ride or compete.

We are sorry for any trouble this may cause to our riders or racers.

Timberline lifts and trails will be in full operation now and untill seasons end in November.

Look for the Timberline Festival of DH Good Times on the Oct 15 and 16

JR Nolan

304-866-6329 at the shop

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
This sucks. Oh well....

What is the Fastival of DH goodtimes all about?
It does "suck" but you can be sure that if you come to Timberline to ride it will not "suck"

The festival is all about riding and fun, details TBA.

trap121

Monkey
May 26, 2011
It does "suck" but you can be sure that if you come to Timberline to ride it will not "suck"

The festival is all about riding and fun, details TBA.
Is the lift and bunkhouse open on Thursdays and fridays? Or is it just weekends?

I may be going to NY next weekend and was thinking about going to TiberlineThursday and friday and then headiing to NY

jrnolan

Monkey
May 9, 2008
Yes there is the Thursday night ride every week.

Also: The Tour de Lilly

http://www.blackwaterbikes.com/events.html

~~~~~~~~~~~The 13th Annual Tour de Lilly is here!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when: Saturday October 2nd, 2010

where: Meet at Blackwater Bikes in morning ready to ride around 10ish AM.

what to bring: The obvious spare tubes, pump and multi-tool that should always be a must when riding. If you really want to cover yourself include a chain quicklink and spare derailleur hanger. Even though lunch will be provided, bring alot of water and snacks because it's a long ride.

who/what: As always, this is a long ride and it's not for wimps or whiners!!! The pace might be casual, but if you are a novice mountain biker, this ride is probably not for you because of length and difficulty of some of the trails and you might be in over your head and slow the group way down. (Sorry, this is just not a beginner ride!) Roger usually supplies tshirts and lunch for everyone on-trail somewhere if logistically possible. Often there is a mid-way bailout point if you can't commit to the whole ride.

FEE: just show up to ride and enjoy the day with your bike and friends. How the hell can you beat that?!

Afterwards be sure to enjoy some food at Siriannis next door or Hellbender Burritos across the street. Then head up to the Mountain State Brewing Company a few miles up the rd for their 5th anniversary birthday party with $1 drafts and free live music by local musicians, and headlining Freakbass!!

Then a day of DH on Sunday at Timberline!