Quantcast

thule t2 4 bike rack on hyundai santa fe

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
hey guys.

so, after ripping off the roof and a door on my previous car thanks to me forgetting the bike was on the roof, and then snapping a crossrail (rough roads + factory crossrail ghetto rigged for thule 951= fail) i think ill bite the bullet and get the real deal.

So, I´ve been considering the Thule T2 + the 2 bike add-on. (4 bike total).

Now, my car is a Hyundai Santa Fe, which does not come with a 2" hitch, BUT there is a hitch accesory, which mounts in the 4 threaded holes in the frame (not unibody) for a 2" hitch mount. the hitch accesory is rated for 2500kg pull, and 250kg weight at the tongue.

anybody else has a similar setup???, or a softroader they use with 4 bikes in the hitch?
any problems with rough roads?? is the thule reallly what people say is it? does it handle rough roads well with 4 dh bikes? will my car wheelie with 100kg sticking 4ft out in the back and 5 people and explode tearing us up in a gazillion pieces?
my shuttles range from 20 to 60 miles of dirt rough dirt roads.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
North Shore Racks

The 4 bike Thule is really long and will hit the ground on any kind of dip in the gravel roads, especially since your car doesn't seem to be that high off the ground. 60 miles of that and that poor rack will die. The north shore rack holds the bikes in a much better way for what you are doing and should keep the bikes up higher and possibly a little closer to your car.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
no northshore racks in Peru (no yakima either)
Am limited to Thule and Hollywood racks (this one looks too flimsy).

The thule t2 for 4 bikes retails for US$1600 installed (I think i can get with a 30% off deal), plus $200 for the hitch mount receiver.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
no northshore racks in Peru (no yakima either)
Am limited to Thule and Hollywood racks (this one looks too flimsy).

The thule t2 for 4 bikes retails for US$1600 installed (I think i can get with a 30% off deal), plus $200 for the hitch mount receiver.
I've seen that setup work on pickups, so I can't imagine it would be a problem on your vehicle. Just don't drive like an idiot. Going up really steep stuff might be an issue. I hear tell of riser adapters that might help get the whole rack a few inches higher to help with that.

I've got the 2 bike version on my WRX, and I do drive like an idiot (on the highway). Haven't lost a bike yet!