Quantcast

thoughts on Mavic XM819 rims?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Did a search and didn't come up with anything.

I've been using Mavic EN521 rims with a Stan's tubeless kit on my trailbike for two years, and they've been ok, but not outstanding. Definitely not the stiffest rim out there, and after two years they have some pretty good flat spots and wobbles. I'm thinking of swapping them out for some XM819 rims, but I'm concerned about the durability. 819s are a UST rim, which is sweet, but they are lighter and a tiny bit narrower than the 521s, and I'm wondering if they'll still hold up well enough to general trail/all-mountain riding. (I'm also a pretty big guy, 6'1" and ~210 lbs with gear.)

On my DH bike last year I switched from EX729 rims to EX823 rims, and although the 823s are narrower and lighter, they're holding up much better and are a lot stiffer than the 729s. Since the 819 appears to be a mini 823, I'm hoping for similar results. Thoughts?

Also, check out the shapes of the rims in question, and then consider that the 729s and 521s have some noticeable flex and seem to dent fairly easily, whereas my 823s have been pretty much bombproof.

EN521

EX729

XM819

EX823

alexhill

Chimp
Apr 19, 2010
819 - ding ding ding

729 - Crap/heavy/not amazingly strong for weight etc etc etc.

823 - Heavy/bombproof.

Get Stans flow.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Can any informed Monkey here explain Mavic's obsession with narrow rim profiles? Whenever I go rim choosing, I am stuck between decent-width Mavics that are 150 gms heavier than the competition, or decent-weight Mavics that seem like they're made for 1.8 width tires.

Is it because Euros love small, skinny tires? Or big, egg-shaped oval profiles from normal width tires?

I'm a skinny 150 lbs geezer and I get great performance from Velocity Blunts and WTB Laser Disc Trails. The Stan's Flow rims look good too, but I haven't tried one.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It is because you do not understand the way various mfg measure their rims...and you are choosing to disregard the multiple other parameters that go into making a quality rim.

Flows are light as they have no eyelets, and they have VERY low sidewalls. There is a definate trade off. The Velocity is an XC rim and aimed at the 29er market. If you can get a 400g rim last on a MTB, there is certainly no need for a 2.5" tire for what you are doing. The WTB is on par weight and width with several Mavic rims...

Start looking at the qualities that make a rim well made and long lasting, like double eyelets, welded seams, surface hardening, higher strength alloys...
Then compare apples to apples.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
It is because you do not understand the way various mfg measure their rims...and you are choosing to disregard the multiple other parameters that go into making a quality rim.

Flows are light as they have no eyelets, and they have VERY low sidewalls. There is a definate trade off. The Velocity is an XC rim and aimed at the 29er market. If you can get a 400g rim last on a MTB, there is certainly no need for a 2.5" tire for what you are doing. The WTB is on par weight and width with several Mavic rims...

Start looking at the qualities that make a rim well made and long lasting, like double eyelets, welded seams, surface hardening, higher strength alloys...
Then compare apples to apples.
:stupid:

Mavics are superior rims, the only time I dented a Deemax (which is a 823) was going up cement stairs with low air psi.

My next custom wheels will be on mavic rims (with hadleys).

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Stans's Flow rims are the call Ben. They are light as hell, pretty damn tough, set up tubeless easily and pretty light. But the biggest benefit? Not spending so much goddamned time lacing a Mavic tubeless rim.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
Dude, you're way off base here.

I'm talking about measurements, rim to rim, mfr to mfr, with a micrometer. Not using the mfr's measurement. I realize Mavic measures inside, others measure outside. Equivalent rims, Mavics are heavier. That's what I said above. That's what you disregarded, in favor of basically calling me stupid. Nice move!

Your rant on Mavic superiority would maybe win you points in a debate with someone else, but I've had longer lived wheels made from WTB Laser Disc Trails than with any Mavic I've used in the past. Quality on paper, or quality for you, isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about my experience with various mfrs' rims.

And what do you do? Break out the personal insults.

Brilliant. And irrelevant. But hey, bet you felt like a champ!:rolleyes:

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
Get the 819 rim.. its strong light and will last a long time!
I have had just about every rim from Mavic.. the 823 is very strong if you want a heavier rim but be careful they will cause you to have more pinch flats because it is to strong..
721 is awesome rim for DH!.. can't go wrong.. the 819 is strong enough to ride DH on and light enough to ride trail.. go for it..

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
I'll chime in as I have a set of 819s on my trailbike now and am looking at bulding a new wheelset for a different trailbike. 819s are super stiff, amazingly reliable, heavy (actually 505 gm including nipple carriers), and skinny. The choice on these rims comes down to what size tyres you use, any bigger than maxxis 2.35 or anybody else 2.25 and you need a wider rim. They really only sit well with 2.1s. Stans flow is wider (22.6mm internal width vs 19mm internal) and marginally lighter when you take into acount yellow tape and valve - but not much in it. You can get 19 mm wide rims down below 400gm or have similar stiffness with a stans arch at 420gm.
I have not used the stans rims for long enough to talk reliability but the weight for width is impressive. I have however dented every sun rim that I have used and they make stans I believe! WTB rims have proven to be quite reliable in terms of flatspots but they need regular spoke key love like no other rims I have ever used - they stay on my DH bike as I like the weight, width, price and I'm prepared to hit them with a spoke key every month. My trailbike gets most of its use at night and put away at midnight only to be dragged out and ridden another night so it gets no love and no more wtb rims...
As always weigh up what you want with what you need and you'll be able to choose easily.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I've got nothing but good things to say about the 819. My wife's had a set on her Rune for 4 years and I'm on my 3rd year with them on my Rampant. I run 2.1 Barracudas on mine, she's got a 2.3 Barracuda on the Rune and I wouldn't go any bigger than that.

I also have 823 on my RFX, 5 years and going strong with Hadley hubs. Mavic rims are excellent, been running them for 12 years. Only time I ever had any issue was with too low pressure on a 521 dropping into a rock garden and dented the rim but it still ran fine for several more years. They also build up true very easily. I also run Sun Rhyno Lite XL on my HT but that's more of an economical approach.