Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The "reach" of a drop bar refers to the amount it extends forward from the flat tops to the brake lever mount. Bars have been getting shorter (and drops shallower) as the majority of riders have abandoned an aero position, and some bars like this have nearly no reach. The drops curve down right from the ends of the flats. It's very MAMIL*.
Are you actually old enough to remember riding old skool massive reach and deep drop bars? I am. and in all honesty they were pretty horrendous offering either an incredibly low drop bar position, stretched out hoods position and a bolt upright tops position not many people could make use of properly. And I'm not just talking of the office workers and older people you have such distain for. You also need to remember they herald from a time when you changed gear by reaching down to your downtube mounted shifters. A MASSIVE drop isn't necessarily MOAR aero and neither is a longer reach as it's more about your tuck. But even then it needs to be a sustainable position in order to give actual gainz rather than just a "look how low my bars are" flex.
The bars on the 36er do look to have a fairly short amount of reach but perhaps not especially for a compact bar and probably looks shorter than it actually is because of the MASSIVE wheels and frame and the angle of the STIs from the daft flair.
A narrow massive reach long drop bar would be utterly ridiculous on such a massive wheeled massive frame bike and also detrimental to handling unless designed solely to be ridden by giants. Which this bike strangely isn't. Ie. the guy replying to Q&A on the Curve crowd finding page says he rode the very bike pictured and he's 5'9"

Last edited:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
img_1_1708181548715~2.jpg

I had a 36er it was actually fun on single track, wish I still had it, but, it was so long that it took up a ton of floor space, wouldn't fit on a bike rack, rims were pretty delicate.

Right after I sold it carbon rims came out that would have been a huge improvement.

If the t monster would have been a folding bead that would,...

Whatever.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
The 36” bikes look kinda fun for ripping around on. I bet they ride very differently! Interesting comment about storage and transport - hadn’t thought of that.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Couldn't you have just removed the front wheel and moved the bike across to centre it?
I have 1up racks.

I would switch to 29 wheels to put it on the rack.

Now you need space for two 36 wheels in the car.

Not really a problem but not convenient.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ah... Was thinking of any standard horizontal hanging rack. I used to regularly remove wheels to shorten the width and just hang the fronts on the rack aswell. Wheel tray style needs a bit more thinking but is also do able with the front wheel removed and held/atrached to the rack.

We never really see vertical bike racks on cars in this country

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I got one of those bleed kits, but not for that price. :rofl:

But silly me when looking at the picture of included parts, I thought it came with extra olives. Nope, those are for the syringes....

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The link I posted leads directly to...
View attachment 207817

Strange how you could read my post but not click the link?
I could read your post because I'm not at work. Why would I "click the link" to buy one now when I told you that I made one a week ago? Pointless, right?
But it's good to know that the 5" thick catalog differs from their online inventory.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
:clapping:
You cavemen still whacking each other with imperial sticks until a metric Allen key is washed up on your shores? 8-)

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Well Canfield is doing a bogo on pedals right now.

Guess that's good news?
You could give me two Canfield pedals for free and I wouldn't even bother fitting them to a bike.

Convex pedals belong in this thread, fuck them all to hell!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Are these $200 dearer because they have TLD on them?
View attachment 208276
I predict the polarizing look will be unpopular so you'll see them discounted below the cost of normal XO carbon cranks.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
View attachment 208276
iT’s a cOLaB, bRuH!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Going into the helmet topic, I'm kinda tired of the half shell ones having mostly cosmetical, almost useless visors. The product designers have been making so much extra room to stash the goggles beneath them, they have become almost a fashion accessory.
Those aren't visors, they're air brakes.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I expect to see every 35yo Fred who "learned to ride" in 2022 on a $12K turbo levo flaunting these alongside their fluro orange "bling kit" machine screws and lock on clamps.

View attachment 208276

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Going into the helmet topic, I'm kinda tired of the half shell ones having mostly cosmetical, almost useless visors. The product designers have been making so much extra room to stash the goggles beneath them, they have become almost a fashion accessory.
WTF? You don't find the Doogie Lampkin look cool? :drag:

1708968082913.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Wish I had a turbo Levo 18 years back when I was 35... Infact I'd have happily changed my name to "Fred" if that was a requirement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I expect to see every 35yo Fred who "learned to ride" in 2022 on a $12K turbo levo flaunting these alongside their fluro orange "bling kit" machine screws and lock on clamps.
i should also note that i have bright ass orange riding shorts and a jersey, but that's due to the overlap of riding season and hunting season.