Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

15mm hex (bits or L-shape) are available reasonablly cheaply in any half decent tool shop here.
Sounds like the difficulty finding one is MOAR to do with the US' stubbornness in adopting any measurement system that doesn't include fractions. :brows:
Metric Allen wrenches are commonly available in our fucked up country. Y'all are still responsible for that which was Whitworth...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Fuckwitworth
You can get the spanners for SFA and they are great for making custom shape spanners or grinding to the size you need, they were often pretty short for how big the jaws were.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
TBF to the dude he probably wrote the standard with an ink well and quill about 50yrs after you your great nation was created.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Metric Allen wrenches are commonly available in our fucked up country. Y'all are still responsible for that which was Whitworth...
Actually, the US were ready to adopt the Metric system back in the 1800s, but a tropical storm sunk the vessel bringing the pattern meter and the necessary documents to this side of the pond, and it all went sideways ever since...

Last edited:

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Oil change Allen screws in every single car engine I've met were 15/16/17 mm. Just go to a car spares shop/web and look for oil screw spanners/wrenches. That's where I got the one I needed to service the freehub in my old Novatec rear hub.
Nada. The 3 auto stores I checked didn't have anything.
This is what Google turns up for "oil screw spanner wrench"

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I'm sure it would work great for an oil change. But I'm not changing oil. I'm working on a one-off mountain bike shock. It's too short. Needs to be at least 2.5-3" long.
Gotcha, sorry for the confusion.
Ya, I could find 14mm key pretty cheap, but 15 and up were either hens teeth or beyond absolutely stupid money for a bent hunk of steel.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
More local to you than an engineering shop in Wellington.

Plenty turn up on Amazon as well, for those that like giving cash to cunts like Bezos.
Since we can't be online or on our phones at work, so we searched the McMaster catalog and didn't see anything in there.

Amazon only has the Park one and an "Owl" brand set. Everything else is a typical set up to 10mm.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think I have the Park one as I mistakenly purchased it thinking I needed it for removing a set of SRAM Force road cranks in ~2008. Whereas it's only used to remove the retaining cover thingy that the retaining bolt backs up against.

Yours for $50, probably only used as a hammer a few times :p

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I bet it’s outrageously fast on a very long, flat, straight road.
And shit everywhere else.

Edit: well the people who make it reliably inform us it descends and climbs amazingly. Who would have guessed.

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I bet it’s outrageously fast on a very long, flat, straight road.
And shit everywhere else.

Edit: well the people who make it reliably inform us it descends and climbs amazingly. Who would have guessed.
To be honest it might be a decent long range bikepacking thing where a steady tempo is more important than agility.

@HardtailHack they look like more expensive DMR Vaults with a bulge. I like Renthal but I don't get the appeal here.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've always seen flared handlebars of any sort as something that must've been designed with the disabled in mind.

How are those bars short reach? Are they not just fitted to a short stem? (which would kinda make sense if you actually wanted to steer that thing)

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
We'll just to representy my stance I use a metric crescent wrench....as far as allen's, if it's close I smack it with a hammer and it fits. When in doubt go with a torx and hammer it in for a better bite..

All you tool snobs..you need to realize almost all tools are multi tools

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
How are those bars short reach? Are they not just fitted to a short stem?
The "reach" of a drop bar refers to the amount it extends forward from the flat tops to the brake lever mount. Bars have been getting shorter (and drops shallower) as the majority of riders have abandoned an aero position, and some bars like this have nearly no reach. The drops curve down right from the ends of the flats. It's very MAMIL*.

*For an old fat guy who wants to sit up and not be stretched out cuz his back is all bus from years of slouching behind a desk.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
The "reach" of a drop bar refers to the amount it extends forward from the flat tops to the brake lever mount. Bars have been getting shorter (and drops shallower) as the majority of riders have abandoned an aero position, and some bars like this have nearly no reach. The drops curve down right from the ends of the flats. It's very MAMIL*.

*For an old fat guy who wants to sit up and not be stretched out cuz his back is all bus from years of slouching behind a desk.
Eddy 'the cannibal' Merckx will be disappointed
1708152247806.png