Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
^^^^^ditto. Once I was threatened with a DQ at a road race. Cat 3, third place. But I bunny hopped over a dead raccoon in the road. It was questionable if anyone could have been hurt behind me, but they contested it as being ‘unsportsman-like’ for not just going around it, and pointing it out to riders behind me.It was pretty funny, like my second road event ever.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There was only one sourpus this last season that thought I was doing it wrong on a mtb. Pretty much everyone else was encouraging it and I think he was just mad because I beat him on an mtb. There were other people on mtbs and other people jumping the barriers...or couches. The question isn't if you can jump the barrier, it's can you jump the barrier on lap 9?

Untitled.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Nah only for racing UCI CX. 33mm. Plenty disc roadbikes can take a far wider tyre than that nowadays and so could any CX bike made with decent mud clearance. Even many old canti brake frames.
a 47mm gravel tyre isn't far off 1.9" not an uncommon width for XC racing BITD
man, this is totally fucking fascinating

which lenses go with each of the above?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You do realise. Taking everything so FKN SRSLY is not necessarily requisite for enjoyment. Infact. Often quite the exact opposite is true.
"Sport" is simply entertainment to me. Might actually be good for you to maybe try thinking of it as such too.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
You do realise. Taking everything so FKN SRSLY is not necessarily requisite for enjoyment. Infact. Often quite the exact opposite is true.
"Sport" is simply entertainment to me. Might actually be good for you to maybe try thinking of it as such too.
you and woo should start a life guru-type podcast

you could call it "live from lake boghoe" or "loch tahoe talk"

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
a necessity when trying to take racing on road bikes of any kind seriously....
CX racing is the least seriously taken sport I've ever tried, at least at a local level. I've had beer hand-ups, compulsory mid-race donut eating and a mud jumping competition.

I showed up coming from years DH racing with wild spectators and was actually impressed with how rowdy the CX dorks got both spectating and at the after party.

Flogs taking everything seriously is what kills the fun of most sports.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
CX racing is the least seriously taken sport I've ever tried, at least at a local level. I've had beer hand-ups, compulsory mid-race donut eating and a mud jumping competition.

I showed up coming from years DH racing with wild spectators and was actually impressed with how rowdy the CX dorks got both spectating and at the after party.

it was a an offseason activity to keep roadies in shape during cold wet, muddy seasons

of course there's alcohol smartassery, it was literally just a place to channel extra EPO driven energy when the days are short

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

That is the vibe we have...but I've been told, that is not the same on our East Coast and especially near Trek HQ.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What?
“With stack heights getting higher and higher, we decided to engineer a stem that provides a 35mm rise, and takes up less steer tube."
1707021588551.png

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@canadmos and @Gary
Thanks for the help with my v1 oneup dropper. The v2.1 actuator is now installed and it works like a charm :cheers:
I have lost around 10mm of stroke but I don't mind. 140mm is still plenty!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What?
“With stack heights getting higher and higher, we decided to engineer a stem that provides a 35mm rise, and takes up less steer tube."
View attachment 207217
An old riding buddy of mine actually has one of those. He swaps his bike back and forth between single and dual crown, and that stem makes the swap process simpler. Definitely a limited benefit scenario, but I've definitely seen way dumber stems

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@canadmos and @Gary
Thanks for the help with my v1 oneup dropper. The v2.1 actuator is now installed and it works like a charm :cheers:
Glad to hear my memory is still functioning to some level after all these years of neglect and abuse. :Alcoholic:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
It was a an offseason activity to keep roadies in shape RACING during cold wet, muddy seasons
What kept them "in shape" was gym work and circuit training combined with indoor and outdoor rides. Evening chaingangs would halt (for obvious reasons) and long weekend rides would replace faster paced group rides and local racing. Some even did XC mountainbiking (the only reason I and many others were ever road club members) And many actual professionals simply moved to warmer climates for the coldest months.
You've only your own ignorance to blame for having to read this.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
You've only your own ignorance to blame for having to read this.
Man, that's so fascinating, that thing you typed which is totally different and contradictory to what I typed. That was totally worth pointing out that inherent difference. I'm off to flog myself for my ignorance in not knowing the inherent divergence between racing and fitness in bicycle use.....because those obviously are never ever linked and never have anything to do with each other.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Did you have to modify it?

Whyd the stroke change?
I needed to fill a bit on the actuation rod. 1 or 2 mm

My original actuator was flush with the thread while the new one builds up on the inside thus reducing the stroke
My original actuator:
Screenshot_20240204_185316_Gallery.jpg

Vs the new v2.1 one:
SP1C0060.jpg

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'm sure this has come up multiple times but I'm bringing it up again:

Internal cable routing.

I had housing stuck in a frame and the only thing that worked to dislodge it was dripping WD40 into the hole. But then when trying to feed in the new housing, it got clogged with so much dirt the cable couldn't get through. Luckily the housing was long enough to trim.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
fully enclosed in mould cable routing on a carbon frame?
If so you could try blasting the channel clean with brake cleaner or WD40 then compressor.
and if it's still manky after that you could always insert the inner cable into to the outer to prevent the end of the outer filling with dirt as you push it through.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The way I feed in new housing is put it over a tandem shift cable, pull tandem cable through old housing, pull old housing out and new housing in at same time with tandem cable. Super easy.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
most internal routing I do doesn't give the luxury of being full length gear outer or enclosed internal cable channels. Plus if you're doing a rear brake punters often want their old brakes and hoses back re-useable

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
fully enclosed in mould cable routing on a carbon frame?
If so you could try blasting the channel clean with brake cleaner or WD40 then compressor.
and if it's still manky after that you could always insert the inner cable into to the outer to prevent the end of the outer filling with dirt as you push it through.
Just make sure it's a plastic friendly one, I think the chlorinated type can do bad things to plastic.
We tried a cheap new one at work because of office tightarsedness and it sent clear plastics and some paint opaque/rough.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The way I feed in new housing is put it over a tandem shift cable, pull tandem cable through old housing, pull old housing out and new housing in at same time with tandem cable. Super easy.
That's genius. I've done the same thing with a normal cable inner and it works but you've gotta be super careful. I forgot they made tandem length ones.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why are dust wipers so expensive?

And why are the zeb ones even more expensive?

Can get 35mm SKF's for $36:
1707427550936.png

But nooooo the zeb ones are of course $59, wtf.
1707427573122.png

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The Racing Bros Zeb seal kit is possibly cheaper? Like 35USD. Could be worth a go.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
The Racing Bros Zeb seal kit is possibly cheaper? Like 35USD. Could be worth a go.

You know stuff, do you know who sells the green SKF seals in Oz?
I don't want to buy Manitou seals from Dirt Works, coz, fuck them!

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Why are dust wipers so expensive?

And why are the zeb ones even more expensive?

Can get 35mm SKF's for $36:
View attachment 207445

But nooooo the zeb ones are of course $59, wtf.
View attachment 207446
I've seen them quite a bit cheaper, just Google for the product code: 00.4318.045.005

Pretty sure they actually are practically the same as the SKF teal-colored seals.

Those Racing Bros low friction seals are garbage though

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
You know stuff, do you know who sells the green SKF seals in Oz?
I don't want to buy Manitou seals from Dirt Works, coz, fuck them!
Got free freight by them accidentally when i called to follow up on a back order yesterday Kept hush, was thinking how theyve seemingly burnt the entire Oz OG mtb scene, except me.