Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
I despise headset routing because it's just plain stupid, but I tolerate internal routing for shifters and droppers since I don't replace my housing too often.

Just leave fucking external cable clips for the rear brake hose! It's much easier to get a perfect rear bleed when the brake line is 100% vertical and you can tap it all the way up with the caliper on the ground. I use an old handlebar that I bolt the lever to with a quick grip holding the bar to something higher and just make the bubbles go up. It's easier to clean the floor than the bike, and then I can just bolt it to the bike knowing I won't have to fuck with it again. With internal routing, since I'm cutting the lines, I'm always going to bleed it again when it's on the bike to make sure no air entered, which I would't have to do with external routing.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I genuinely enjoy roadbikes and Ebikes... Some folk enjoy skimobiles, Tacomas (do I have that right?) and dirtbikes... I have mates who repair those. I don't even enjoy driving.
Crazy fuck of a world where we can happily enjoy different but similar things eh?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
you complaining about something you can charge more for, or do you have fixed prices for different jobs?
I wasn't complaining. I actually enjoy* a challenge and get job satisfaction from the work.
I also fix quite a lot of bike issues out the good of my heart. We're not all profit obsessed cunts.

*This in no way means I'd ever choose super awkward time consuming aesthetically pleasing(?) routing over a more maintenance friendly design on my own bikes.

Last edited:

joeg

I have some obvious biases
Jul 20, 2011
Santa Cruz CA
Jesus Christ, it didnt take long for this to become a pendantic debate about meaningless bullshit. as it should.
I am happy to be able to lurk less and post more, in between my busy schedule of skidding ebikes and drinking whiskey.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jesus Christ, it didnt take long for this to become a pendantic debate about meaningless bullshit. as it should.
I am happy to be able to lurk less and post more, in between my busy schedule of skidding ebikes and drinking whiskey.
This thread is the MTB version of this

1706291306111.png

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Fully agree with @Leafy here! I am on my first santa cruz and struggle with the dropper cable... how do you guys do? My dropper is a oneup v1. I got the cable through but it doesn't slide freely
I often need to put a dab of suspension grease on the end of the housing to help it slide through that final bend from the shock tunnel into the seat tube. Occasionally I can feel a bit of extra carbon in there and it takes a monumental effort.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I hoarded 26” tires ten years ago. Still have a lifetime worth. Not exactly proud of this.
I just sold another two 26" DH tyres from my stash tonight... that's six I've sold since christmas. still a fair few left

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I've created this invigorating powerpoint presentation, which summarizes the last few months on Teh Monkey.

View attachment 206825
well you get bonus points for that! Not really a .ppt prezo. But it'll suffice. I like how Ridemonkey is bigger than the "Bike Industry", then there's "Shimz". I mean, what do you got to know people?

I might add "Shimano Brake Point" as a thing. And maybe even "Suspension" Naw, just leave it as "Shokz". Call it a day. :D

Good work. See ya at the pub with Joeg and some Canadian Whiskey.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
I hope you have lots more free time in the near future for shit posting & riding. If you're ever passing through Breckenridge stop by one of the oldest SC dealers in the world, Avalanche Sports. We'd love to take you on a trail or two

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Nah. One up sell the decent actuator end. The shitty one just screws off and new one just screws in it's place
Does the v2 actuator fits the v1 post?
If not I will need some pointers!
I just had a simplified Burns night with my Scottish friend, no haggis, just some rusty nails.

Edit: v2.1 does not fit v1 dropper according to https://www.bike-components.de/en/OneUp-Components/Dropper-Post-V2-1-Actuator-p72377/?o=100001-universal-universal&delivery_country=SE&upid=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=20492773404&utm_content=&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAiAzc2tBhA6EiwArv-i6QvtJsYsBTUgY8QH07M_2qtLOPxxfCABWmqipHpY-p92XDal20rrCxoCk_kQAvD_BwE

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I hope you have lots more free time in the near future for shit posting & riding. If you're ever passing through Breckenridge stop by one of the oldest SC dealers in the world, Avalanche Sports. We'd love to take you on a trail or two
Are you really going to be in Breck? I'll be there mid March-ish. Ya, spring Breck. When the town bus's smell like liquor, tobacco and weed. Not necessarily in that order. But I do love to lay down some sweet tracks.

Whales tail to base of 7. You heard me. Then hot tub time machine. If joeg shows up, I'll buy him a whiskey, hot tub time machine? We'll see.. :)

You gonna be there? I may stop by your shop...

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The V3 sounds so good it's probably worth dropping the money on. You can find some poor friend or townie bike to put the V1 on.
Why not, let me first check if one of those droppers lying around in my shed could do the job. I have one from a Ransom size small. Diameter will be right but I am not sure if it is a 125 or a 150mm...?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Does the v2 actuator fits the v1 post?
If not I will need some pointers!
Pretty sure they're the same fittings. it just unscrews from the bottom of the post and there are two small securing bolts to remove it from the cartridge.
I've had two Oneup posts and swapped them both to the sensible actuator, it was a while ago but I'm fairly sure the first post was bought soon after they were released so would have thought it was a V1. (second post was a good while later and came with the sensible one)
But I'd Email Oneup to confirm whether the V2.1 actuator fits your post. they're really helpful.

I just had a simplified Burns night with my Scottish friend, no haggis, just some rusty nails.
Hahaha... I had my burns supper on Wednesday (a day early). I can't stand Whisky so washed it down with a can of Monster energy.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Are you really going to be in Breck? I'll be there mid March-ish. Ya, spring Breck. When the town bus's smell like liquor, tobacco and weed. Not necessarily in that order. But I do love to lay down some sweet tracks.

Whales tail to base of 7. You heard me. Then hot tub time machine. If joeg shows up, I'll buy him a whiskey, hot tub time machine? We'll see.. :)

You gonna be there? I may stop by your shop...
Well, I won't be there in March, and a little hard to say when I'll get back cuz that's up to how much help my Dad needs and where he wants to live, but Rich & The Boys at Avalanche will be up for taking Joe or any Monkey for a ride as soon as the trails are dry.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It fits, but you'll have to file down the long push rod thing a bit.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Back to Archer and their shitty shifter again.
Grab the dual sus bike for a night ride, turn the gears on, go to go up the street, no gears.
Turn it all on and off, still nothing, put it in to the micro adjust mode or whatever and get back out of it and they start working.

Get to the bush, stop working again, but now it decides to do every shift i had done a minute ago and I end up with a bent chain, yay.

My right thumb is no good so I can't use a cable mech full time which means I'm sorta stuck with this shit system.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Grab the dual sus bike for a night ride, turn the gears on, go to go up the street, no gears.
Turn it all on and off, still nothing, put it in to the micro adjust mode or whatever and get back out of it and they start working.

Get to the bush, stop working again, but now it decides to do every shift i had done a minute ago and I end up with a bent chain, yay.

My right thumb is no good so I can't use a cable mech full time which means I'm sorta stuck with this shit system.
Can't you either try AXS or the Chinese copy? Maybe get some used AXS RD/shifter combo now that all the cool boyz are going full retard transmission

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

old one or the recent version?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can't you either try AXS or the Chinese copy? Maybe get some used AXS RD/shifter combo now that all the cool boyz are going full retard transmission
Can you get any E stuff in short cage? I have no need for a 50t first gear and I want a mech that can crush rocks if the need arises.
I have run Saint mechs for 10+ years because they are so damn strong.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Which flavour is your favourite for haggis? :D
In all honesty I drink so many energy drinks a day I can't even remember with 100% accuracy which flavour it was. Possibly Pink (pipeline punch) . But if we're bring all wine snob about monny. Ultra Black probably suits the taste of Haggis better.
[EDIT] Just remembered. I took a pic of my burns supper plate.
DSC_0936.JPG

Peach Relentless for breakfast this morning

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Peach Relentless for breakfast
What's wrong with tea? ;)
I ordered the v2.1 actuator this morning. It was way cheaper than any new dropper. The droppers I have in my shed are either 125 which is too short on the super low santa frame or external with the wrong diameter

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Nah. One up sell the decent actuator end. The shitty one just screws off and new one just screws in it's place
the v2 and v2.1 actuator is not compatable with the v1 post. or so i've always read/heard.

i've got three v1 posts in use - no issues with the actuator bits once you figure out the housing movement bit and use a bit of tape and an o-ring to keep things from moving about and the housing end from popping out of the actuator bit.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
my v1 is still running, although there's a lot of side to side play and the valve now spins when you attach the pump so if i forget to grease the threads/thread it too tight it's almost impossible to get off. time for a v3 soon...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
In all honesty I drink so many energy drinks a day I can't even remember with 100% accuracy which flavour it was. Possibly Pink (pipeline punch) . But if we're bring all wine snob about monny. Ultra Black probably suits the taste of Haggis better.
[EDIT] Just remembered. I took a pic of my burns supper plate.
View attachment 206852

Peach Relentless for breakfast this morning
thats edible?