Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The multi shift up and down is why I use the XT shifter. SLX (and below) only have on the down.

I am that one nerd who disassembles and cleans/lubes everything once a year. :p
yeah.
Fair enough. I love Shimano's multi directional up shifting as it allows shifting in four different ways (thumb or forefinger and push or pull) . Being able to shift down multiple gears with one thumb throw is great when you find yourself in too high a gear at the end of a descent or beginning of an ascent . But I genuinely don't like to multi shift upwards with a single throw in any situation.preferring to double tap. Infact I find a shifter with multi upshift capability a liability in some situations.

Seems we're both covered well by Shimano. I'm not about to start flying any flags tho. :brows:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You just tend to not like following trends and strava kom champions can be annoying.
remember I ride mtb and road. Strava segments can be a great training tool on road. KOMs are rarely a fair playground road or mtb.

Though I think you are focusing on an off hand comment too much.
Nah. Just curious.
And you know I like to share.

Also Sethi is correct
. Now there's a rare day. We should probably celebrate it every year.
Sethi Saturday - that one day where we all get to parade around in the stolen underwear from those we stalk

All of RM should send you those weird motivating messages mid ride. Are those still a thing?
possibly if you pay a premium for the displeasure. And are dumb enough to set your rides up to be interrupted by random twats.
My Garmin displays texts and WhatsApp messages. And I tend to commute with earbuds in (so hands free calls) But no interruptions from any other social media BS.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
remember I ride mtb and road. Strava segments can be a great training tool on road. KOMs are rarely a fair playground road or mtb.

Nah. Just curious.
And you know I like to share.

. Now there's a rare day. We should probably celebrate it every year.
Sethi Saturday - that one day where we all get to parade around in the stolen underwear from those we stalk

possibly if you pay a premium for the displeasure. And are dumb enough to set your rides up to be interrupted by random twats.
My Garmin displays texts and WhatsApp messages. And I tend to commute with earbuds in (so hands free calls) But no interruptions from any other social media BS.
i can send you snark messages on whatsapp too if thats more convenient for you?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The big difference between the SRAM/Shimano drivetrain comparisons is that (IME), XTR is basically designed to be uber light racer weight weenie stuff made out of cheese, whereas XT is the true performance/workhorse version. The difference between X0 & XX is mostly about a few grams, a lot of dollars, and not much difference in durability (unless you count silly carbon derailleur cages). SLX & GX have a lot of the same compromises (missing some non-essential features like multi-shift, heavier stamped components).
On the contrary, the XTR drivetrain components are ridiculously durable. It's true that the stuff is a bit lighter than XT (which I agree is the workhorse group) but higher quality materials really do add up to much longer wear. I have, by my best estimate, over 4k miles on an XTR cassette that has lived on several bikes and may just be hitting the replacement point - it's engaging poorly in one cog, probably due to me spending a lot of time in that particular gear. I reckon it's easily double and probably getting close to three times more durable than XT. If I was comparing SRAM and Shimano components I'd position them like so: XX/XTR, X01/XT - XT having a bit of a weight penalty due to the alloy crank, but loads cheaper, GX/SLX, and then nothing below GX is really worth talking about. NX is marginal (and only slightly cheaper than GX) and SX is utter garbage. I really like the high end SRAM cassettes for weight/durability, but was never crazy about the XD interface. There's also the cheaper SRAM cassettes that don't give you the 10t cog, reducing the range. I like that Shimano uses Microspline across the board so that everything can be swapped up or down. I don't have a super strong allegiance to either brand and have gone back and forth with different generations, but currently I strongly prefer the Shimano 12-speed stuff and have zero interest in AXS or Transmission.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
The only comparison between XT / XTR I've done is with cranksets on my single speed trail bike.

XT - strong, no flex.

XTR - strong, flexy. Lighter than XT

Once I put the XTR cranks on my gravel bike, I never noticed the flex again. On the SS though it was a huge difference in flex between XT and XTR.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
You might think XT have no flex but there's a pretty huge difference in stiffness between them and Saint too.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
50 hour service kit for a Sidluxe rear shock is $50+tax.

There's only a few o-rings and the oil/grease. That price is taking the urine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The only comparison between XT / XTR I've done is with cranksets on my single speed trail bike.

XT - strong, no flex.

XTR - strong, flexy. Lighter than XT

Once I put the XTR cranks on my gravel bike, I never noticed the flex again. On the SS though it was a huge difference in flex between XT and XTR.
No flex?

Fucking magic!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Current Ibis Ripmo has XTR cassette, XTR Chain.

XT everything else.

Oh XTR 4 pot brakes.

It's nice.

Pretty sure you could get away with Deore 4 pot if they make it. And it'd be nice as well, for a fraction of the cost.

Rode a buddy's Santa Cruz Hightower with SRAM brakes. They felt like sponges. Like you had to really, really pull on the lever. And he rode my bike and was like, wow that's strong. :)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

Our shop charges $40 labor to clean/regrease any air shock. From when you grab the bike until putting it in the "done" area takes 1/2hr. You might have to give the bike a quick wash. You gotta release air, then move it through the travel a few times to get all the air out before removing the shock. Then re-airing takes a few pumping, then stroking sessions to fill the negative chamber. You'd have to be really flying to do it in under 1/2hr and I bet a lot of mechanics take 45 minutes.

Not many bikes and air shocks need to have the air can re-greased every 50hrs. It's more like 150-200hrs. Depends a little on the shock (that little XC thing may be sensetive), more on the frame design (how well protected the shock is from dirt spray), and most on how dusty/muddy your riding is.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Rode a buddy's Santa Cruz Hightower with SRAM brakes. They felt like sponges. Like you had to really, really pull on the lever.
Most riders who have shimanos think that when they first try a SRAM brake. Decent SRAM brakes in use really aren't lacking in power particuarly but they do have a very different feel to Shimano as the bite point isn't anywhere near as firm.

And Yeah. Deore 4 pots (or even the unbranded version) don't feel much different to XT or XTR... The main difference being no tool free reach adjustment

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Our shop charges $40 labor to clean/regrease any air shock. From when you grab the bike until putting it in the "done" area takes 1/2hr. You might have to give the bike a quick wash. You gotta release air, then move it through the travel a few times to get all the air out before removing the shock. Then re-airing takes a few pumping, then stroking sessions to fill the negative chamber. You'd have to be really flying to do it in under 1/2hr and I bet a lot of mechanics take 45 minutes.

Not many bikes and air shocks need to have the air can re-greased every 50hrs. It's more like 150-200hrs. Depends a little on the shock (that little XC thing may be sensetive), more on the frame design (how well protected the shock is from dirt spray), and most on how dusty/muddy your riding is.
I think the point was that $50 for a few dollars worth of seals and grease, is a little excessively overpriced. :p

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think the point was that $50 for a few dollars worth of seals and grease, is a little excessively overpriced. :p
Yeah, I wasn't talking about shop labor. I gave up trying to post an imagewith the forum screwing up.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Most riders who have shimanos think that when they first try a SRAM brake. Decent SRAM brakes in use really aren't lacking in power particuarly but they do have a very different feel to Shimano as the bite point isn't anywhere near as firm.

And Yeah. Deore 4 pots (or even the unbranded version) don't feel much different to XT or XTR... The main difference being no tool free reach adjustment
yeah, buddy gave me some old deore 2 pots for my kid's bike. shocked at how solid they've been.

Aug 27, 2023
Canton, Georgia

That is criminal. I would search out every single O-ring separately before I would give RS money. This is why people hate manufacturers.

I would bet that the needed parts are probably the same across another RS service kit

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Aesthetics. To match T6 alloys.

First time I clapped eyes on a set in the flesh I laughed.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Weren't those derived from the stint they did with Autodesk on generative CAD a few years ago?

SRAM Produces Generative Design Prototype Cranks in Partnership with Autodesk - Pinkbike

Ignite make a crank that looks closer to that than the new T-Type.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Damn! My Miami Vice Nomad needs these.
76aa9b_c992840ee4ff4be0b15b13d107248d0b_mv2.jpg

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Yup, but the SRAM cranks were still modeled after the ones I pasted above.
Also, those Ignite cranks are dentistier than the titanium ones so many monkeys are wetting their panties for.