Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
Whats your home area? Check and see if your region/area has an admin group or person in that role. If not, click that apply button and try to get in there. Even if someone adds a trail, it needs to be voted on and reach a score of 5, or have an admin approve it. So you can technically get in there and downvote some, if you see it.

I got in as the admin of the entire province of Ontario and do quite a lot of filtering of trails that should be private or not added at all. I'd like to think that I have a pretty good insight of the general happenings in Ontario, though its an absolutely huge region and has almost 10000 trails in there, so I always try and find out who the trail builder and ask them for their input, if new additions seem bogus.

What I think a lot of people just don't realize, is how public the info is and its no longer a small community of users. There are trail organizations and even government entities that are using it for their maps and reporting. That also means that some of those people from the government or other official organizations can see everything in their region - which is why some stuff shouldn't be added at all. Keep that stuff off any map, private or not.

A good example is this trail - https://www.trailforks.com/trails/downrange/ . I messaged this kid (have sold him some bike parts too) after he added the trail and told him its probably not a good idea to add it - nope he said approve it or whatever. So I did and guess what, literally the next day the town came in and plowed down the work he did.
I'm in Frederick MD we have a group admin for the area. I'm going to ask them if they've allowed the trails to be posted. They're rated double black so it might be a good thing.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
No, that's not a question. It's snark at the suggestion that you're on top of what's happening across the entire province.

I think that's for you folks to figure out. Might want to get on that. If some builder or rider alerted the world the the existence of a zone the locals knew to be quiet about, and that led to it being removed, that would not be good. A lot of the biking around here exists in a grey zone. Nobody is fully happy about it, but we get on with it and it's been like this for a long time.

Yeah. Some are still selling maps, etc. I like a good map, and I appreciate a hand drawn map. Funny when folks are sitting at trail intersections staring at their phones, then start scrolling instagram or whatever.
I didn't say that I know everything about what's going on in the province, but I talk to a lot of riders from all over and am constantly reading or researching about different spots, clubs, maps, GIS data, etc etc etc. I don't know everything, but my knowledge of Ontario is well above the general riding population. It also helps that I've also ridden all over the province as well.

Your second point is why regions have admins - they should really be the ones filtering out what people are submitting. Like I mentioned, not everything gets approved and if I read a comment about something that was added being wrong or shouldn't be visible, then I'm all for correcting or removing it. I've hidden many trails or even deleted GPS from others. That said, there are A LOT of clubs and whoever else, that have admin status of regions, but they don't actively use their accounts - thats a probably because obviously things will slip through the cracks if no one is watching the approval queues.

And yeah nothing will beat a map and its nice that in some situations buying one contributes to the local club or whoever. I'm the type of person who generally plans out a ride in advance, so unless its a spaghetti network of trails or something, the phone stays in the pack. :)

tldr; even as an avid trailforks user, I don't think everything should be added or visible. Keep that private stuff private - loose lips sinks ships. Same thing goes for on the ground - if someone is adding something that's secret to trailforks, they probably shouldn't know about the area in the first place.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Hold on to your bikes and parts, it's gonna be difficult to buy something next year...

One of my riding buddy is the Swedish importer for Yeti and Ibis. 2 weeks ago he told me more or less the same as stated in the article above. He got 3 bikes in his latest delivery which is ridiculously little! And the fun part is that there are still people asking him for a bargain price :crazy: :rofl:
That's what is wrong with the people buying from The Industry, but that is clearly another topic! :brows:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Yeah when we bought my wife's new bike this last weekend the shop said none of the brands are letting them put in orders from customers or even pick the stock they're getting. They said at least Santa Cruz told them what they were getting and more or less when, kind of take it or leave it style. Which is how my wife ended up with the carbon r build of the Juliana Joplin and not the aluminum r.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Out of the few new bikes that are coming in to shops here. Some are arriving with alternative spec brakeset/crank/mechs etc. Parts sometimes in the bike box separately for the shop to fit before sale

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Shops around here just got an order in they put in with Revelate accessories that was supposed to be for November of last year.

lobsterCT

Monkey
Jun 23, 2015
Presta Valves clogged with tubeless tire sealant is something I have considered wrong with the industry. When they clog, I have been pushing an allen wrench through the valve. It doesn't clear the clog well, but usually just enough to get the air in or out to the tire pressure I want. I typically would limp by like this, until I get annoyed enough to take off the tire, and clean out the valve from the inside.

I finally had the idea to use a small drill bit instead of the allen wrench. I just turn it gently by hand while pushing it in, then all at once, it will break through and I get a rush of air through the relief cut in the drill bit. Once this happens, I just pull it out, and it pulls the clog out with it. The drill bit does a great job grabbing onto the clog. Easy peasy, and only takes a couple of minutes.

I put a couple size drill bits in a small bag (for different valves in the family fleet) with my valve core remover so everything is easy to find in the tool box.

valve core.jpg

Last edited:
Presta Valve cores clogged with tubeless tire sealant is something I have considered wrong with the industry. When they clog, I have been pushing an allen wrench through the valve. It doesn't clear the clog well, but usually just enough to get the air in or out to the tire pressure I want. I typically would limp by like this, until I get annoyed enough to take off the tire, and clean out the valve from the inside.

I finally had the idea to use a small drill bit instead of the allen wrench. I just turn it gently by hand while pushing it in, then all at once, it will break through and I get a rush of air through the relief cut in the drill bit. Once this happens, I just pull it out, and it pulls the clog out with it. The drill bet does a great job grabbing onto the clog. Easy peasy, and only takes a couple of minutes.

I put a couple size drill bits in a small bag (for different valves in the family fleet) with my valve core remover so everything is easy to find in the tool box.

View attachment 166587
Paying attention to the position of the valve core when measuring or adjusting air pressure will in general make this issue disappear.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Presta Valves for tubeless.
There, that's the problem. Holdovers from roadie times and now the constriction of presta with tubeless systems, whether it's filling them with air, or getting clogged with sealant, makes it much worse.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
There, that's the problem. Holdovers from roadie times and now the constriction of presta with tubeless systems, whether it's filling them with air, or getting clogged with sealant, makes it much worse.
NEW STANDARD TIME!

wheres Sram with a quick patent?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Presta Valves clogged with tubeless tire sealant is something I have considered wrong with the industry. When they clog, I have been pushing an allen wrench through the valve. It doesn't clear the clog well, but usually just enough to get the air in or out to the tire pressure I want. I typically would limp by like this, until I get annoyed enough to take off the tire, and clean out the valve from the inside.

I finally had the idea to use a small drill bit instead of the allen wrench. I just turn it gently by hand while pushing it in, then all at once, it will break through and I get a rush of air through the relief cut in the drill bit. Once this happens, I just pull it out, and it pulls the clog out with it. The drill bit does a great job grabbing onto the clog. Easy peasy, and only takes a couple of minutes.

View attachment 166587
topeak has a tool for that

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Bigger, sloppier holes.

A Shrader valve fixes all of this bullshit....
It does but since the hole for a schraeder valve is a fair bit bigger than a spoke hole to maintain the same strength additional material is required. For an aluminum rim this either means increasing the cross sectional area of the extrusion which would add a fair bit of weight where it is not needed, or expensive machining operations. Shouldn't be much of a problem with carbon rims as it would be easy to just add material where it was needed but then people would bitch about having two different standards. Most things are possible, everything has a trade-off.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
People really have problems with clogged valve stems? :confused:
Yep. Seems like once a year at least 2 valve core/stems gets clogged. I've invested in a bag of valve cores for such issues. The stem can be cleaned but the core seems to goop up enough to just replace it.

Edit: Just to be clear the core's movement is affected by gooping up. So it doesn't take air in as fast as it used to, or just leaks even though you've screwed it down as hard as you can. You can clean it, but blah.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
It's too hard to search this site, but I remember quite a few years back, one of the old heads was purporting to use aftermarket aluminum "race car" schraeder valves on their bikes partly due to the problem with getting old and/or non-Maxxis tires to seat tubeless on old rims.

I thought it was JM maybe but who knows.

And quite a few dudes used to run schraeder tubes back in the day, and that often required drilling out their presta Mavics and Suns.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
It's too hard to search this site, but I remember quite a few years back, one of the old heads was purporting to use aftermarket aluminum "race car" schraeder valves on their bikes partly due to the problem with getting old and/or non-Maxxis tires to seat tubeless on old rims.

I thought it was JM maybe but who knows.

And quite a few dudes used to run schraeder tubes back in the day, and that often required drilling out their presta Mavics and Suns.
tubeless schrader valves have been used in MTB for a long time, just not with a lot of popularity. i believe stans makes/made some and you can probably find every color visible to humans on aliexpress, etc.

drilling presta valves was also common - they still make grommets to insert into the larger hole so you could still run presta if wanted. i've still got a set of mavic rims with the grommets in place in the shop somewhere.

edit - links

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
It does but since the hole for a schraeder valve is a fair bit bigger than a spoke hole to maintain the same strength additional material is required. For an aluminum rim this either means increasing the cross sectional area of the extrusion which would add a fair bit of weight where it is not needed, or expensive machining operations. Shouldn't be much of a problem with carbon rims as it would be easy to just add material where it was needed but then people would bitch about having two different standards. Most things are possible, everything has a trade-off.
The cross section of any 30mm aluminum mtb rim can handle it fine. Presta valves were made for deep narrow road bike rims and just popularized out of convenience for manufacturing. Nevermind the fact they take 3 threads to do the job of 1...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
tubeless schrader valves have been used in MTB for a long time, just not with a lot of popularity. i believe stans makes/made some and you can probably find every color visible to humans on aliexpress, etc.

drilling presta valves was also common - they still make grommets to insert into the larger hole so you could still run presta if wanted. i've still got a set of mavic rims with the grommets in place in the shop somewhere.

edit - links
this is relevant to my interests for an upcoming wheel build. thanks for sharing.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
this is relevant to my interests for an upcoming wheel build. thanks for sharing.
I've got a set of WTB tubeless Shrader valves sitting around. Really just waiting for a convenient time to have the wheel apart enough to drill it nicely and do new rim tape. Looking forward to just being able to jam an air chuck against the valve to fill up and go ride instead of dicking around with spindles and adapters.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Here's another industry piss off.

Frames whose top tubes and headtubes are designed so the front end doesn't have a prayer of spinning freely in a crash to allow normal shifter/dropper levers to clear the top tube when the front end turns 90 degrees. Result - damaged top tube.

The fuck is the point of running a single crown at that point?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Here's another industry piss off.

Frames whose top tubes and headtubes are designed so the front end doesn't have a prayer of spinning freely in a crash to allow normal shifter/dropper levers to clear the top tube when the front end turns 90 degrees. Result - damaged top tube.

The fuck is the point of running a single crown at that point?
I have no idea if any of my bikes do this anymore. I just torque my shifter/brakes or whatever mounts to the bars so they will rotate easily in a crash. Will not just prevent damage to your top tube but your levers and any body parts that may encounter them in a crash.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Head tubes on most larger sizes are just too short.

But I'm also of the opinion that if a frame is seriously damaged by a brake lever, then the frame wasn't built to withstand the rigors of actual mountain biking.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
12" is quite aways off from a correct bar height at a given reach for someone 6'+.

Head tubes should be size-specific in my opinion, which would help getting the bar height correct without adding a ton of spacers (flex).

I have spacers and a 40mm bar and would rather have a stiffer front end and zero spacers.

Disagree. The fact that I can get a longer frame without a 12" headtube these days is one thing right with The Industry. You can add spacers or get a taller bar if too short, but it's pretty tough to cut down a headtube.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Disagree. The fact that I can get a longer frame without a 12" headtube these days is one thing right with The Industry. You can add spacers or get a taller bar if too short, but it's pretty tough to cut down a headtube.
the increasing length headtube with frame size was a carry over from when mountain bikes were road bikes and it was part of sizing/ergonomics

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I have no idea if any of my bikes do this anymore. I just torque my shifter/brakes or whatever mounts to the bars so they will rotate easily in a crash. Will not just prevent damage to your top tube but your levers and any body parts that may encounter them in a crash.
Turn the bars 90 degrees. If the bars don't turn past the top tube, then your bike does it.

On my 2020 Enduro with a 20mm rise bar and a couple spacers under the stem, there's a good inch or so of overlap if the levers were to clear as well. Pretty dumb.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Turn the bars 90 degrees. If the bars don't turn past the top tube, then your bike does it.

On my 2020 Enduro with a 20mm rise bar and a couple spacers under the stem, there's a good inch or so of overlap if the levers were to clear as well. Pretty dumb.
Exacerbated by the super slack HA though I would think.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

I just checked all six (size large, mostly enduro-y) bikes in arm's reach at the moment. Zero of them do that, and none have especially high bars.