Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
i see the local high school xc kids al the time. they all look like circus acts and can't handle their bikes for shit except the one tall kid who actually fits on his bike...
theres a group here, one kid had a yeti, with enve wheels.
couldnt even make a climb.
bike looks stupid AF
poor bastard and his stupid rich parents actually thinking he needs that bike when in fact it was hindering him. Little bugger would have been so much better off with some skinny light aluminum wheels and some little tires....

pinkgoat

Chimp
Dec 11, 2007
Australia
Equal parts right/wrong with the industry. Love the new stumpy evo. Hate how inflated bike prices have become, compounded by increasing lower component standards.

The comp model (SLX drivetrain) is $4100 USD in the US but somehow end up being $6900 AUD in Aus (~5k USD), some 20% more. I can accept this, to a point.

Yet it comes spec'd with shimano MT400 and MT510-B hubs (i.e. acera and deore) and house brand Spec gear throughout?! Other brands are only marginally better, especially those who insist on DT 370 pawl hubs on high end bikes..

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Please kill me

I tried watching this garbage yesterday evening. Pinkbike had something quite nice a few years ago with Drop In... How could they fuck up so badly? It would have been easy for them to try to keep the Drop In "Vibe" and apply it to enduro training or whatever. Instead, they went full-on cheap MTV-type garbage.

It's impressive that nobody lightened up on the set...like realizing "Well this is going to suck so bad, why don't we scrap this whole thing off and start over with a concept that doesn't suck!"

Hopefully, it gets better in the next episodes, but it is unlikely I'll check it out.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I tried watching this garbage yesterday evening. Pinkbike had something quite nice a few years ago with Drop In... How could they fuck up so badly? It would have been easy for them to try to keep the Drop In "Vibe" and apply it to enduro training or whatever. Instead, they went full-on cheap MTV-type garbage.

It's impressive that nobody lightened up on the set...like realizing "Well this is going to suck so bad, why don't we scrap this whole thing off and start over with a concept that doesn't suck!"

Hopefully, it gets better in the next episodes, but it is unlikely I'll check it out.
pinkbike original content? Hard pass. Life is too short.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
though it's not my cuppa, i get what they're trying to do - expand their reader/viewership to a larger audience (beyond we jaded old fucks). though it IS totally formulaic, wouldn't surprise me if it draws a reasonable volume of eyeballs.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
though it's not my cuppa, i get what they're trying to do - expand their reader/viewership to a larger audience (beyond we jaded old fucks). though it IS totally formulaic, wouldn't surprise me if it draws a reasonable volume of eyeballs.
My lifes dream has been to be older, have porch, and yell at the young'ns driving by too fast with a porch dog by my side.....

....I've yet to watch a second of any of this because I'm afraid I may fulfill my dream before I reach the age of 39....

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Lot of eyeballs going for the lowest common denominator? Not a big surprise there.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

My frame exploded as I landed the jump...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What I find interesting is after shitting on hardtails for the last many many years, bike companies are pushing them again.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
What I find interesting is after shitting on hardtails for the last many many years, bike companies are pushing them again.
After sitting on hardtails for many years, I have no desire to push them.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Okay maybe I'm missing something or I'm an idiot, but I don't get this.

Why not just sell bikes? The way these are manufactured seems to actually favour people putting down a deposit, which you could use to partially fund each one off frame. Then collect the rest when you deliver. Its not like they have to come up with cash to buy a shipping container full of them.

I like their bikes and want them to do well, but wouldn't selling tshirts and other stuff help AND spread the word of your brand?

Have they even sold any of these? I haven't seen any reviews or posts about them.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Sounds like they're trying to crowd funs themselves into a dlms printer.
Actually - as opposed to be your typical square-grouper, giving everything a toss so it's all-good the approach of the Atherton's here is a swift kick in the ass for anyone looking to step up their game. Be it racing or participating in your local community aspect.
The cart in front of the horse, bike throwing days after landing a Triple Lindy can't last.
The Atherton's come off as having a very grounded approach to the realm of full-ticket sponsorship. About the only other w/ this level of maturity, high-vis sponsorship AND mutual cooperation is Sam Hill.
Some people just gotta have their version of glitter I guess.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Pretty sure they just pretended to sell the bikes in order to skirt UCI rules.

ARTICLE 1.3.006

Okay maybe I'm missing something or I'm an idiot, but I don't get this.

Why not just sell bikes? The way these are manufactured seems to actually favour people putting down a deposit, which you could use to partially fund each one off frame. Then collect the rest when you deliver. Its not like they have to come up with cash to buy a shipping container full of them.

I like their bikes and want them to do well, but wouldn't selling tshirts and other stuff help AND spread the word of your brand?

Have they even sold any of these? I haven't seen any reviews or posts about them.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
new Ellsworth
How is Tony still able to fool anyone into buying his stuff? Is he hitting on blind/comatose/zombie people? I mean, anyone with even one good eye, either feels the urge to go grab a lighter and a can of fuel or run away, right?