Quantcast

This is what's wrong with The Industry™

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
waiting on AI-XS to do the shifting for me. that, an ebike, Fox live valve and I'm basically fuckin' Tron.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I lo

I love dumb ass reviews like
"It skips in 3rd gear, but other than that, I love it! If you're looking to upgrade, totally worth it!"
my very short time doing product reviews, I would definitely not write anything about pads or protective equipment until I'd eaten shit using it at least once. Precisely because I hated reviews like "we haven't crashed in it yet but we're sure they would provide ample protection"

Then when I'd show what happened in an actual crash, the industry bootlickers would get all offended and feel the need to mansplain that "bUt bRo, eVeRy cRaSh iS dIFfeReNt, tHiS iSn'T A sTaNdArDiZeD tEsT"

It was around then I decided mountainbikers need a mass extinction event.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Also one for the "Loam Rats"...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
"Hol' up. I can't shift, my derailleur is rebooting"
Not rebooting, but there's a section of overhead power lines I ride under and it must be kicking out some RF as for a short distance as I make the bend I can't shift my older 11 speed Etap as I try to downshift to go up the hill.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Wait'll they announce "subscription shifting". Only $9.95/mo! $12.95 for Premium w/o ads between shifts.
You act like this is a company that is renowned for designing things exclusively to prevent others from utilizing the same design and quickening obsolescence for extremely marginal gains. Next thing you'll tell me is that their parts are shitty and fail faster than anything else on the market. What's next, a chain with microscopically larger rollers that prevents compatibility with other chainrings and cassettes?

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
You act like this is a company that is renowned for designing things exclusively to prevent others from utilizing the same design and quickening obsolescence for extremely marginal gains. Next thing you'll tell me is that their parts are shitty and fail faster than anything else on the market. What's next, a chain with microscopically larger rollers that prevents compatibility with other chainrings and cassettes?
AKA enshittification

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Hmmm...I have never seen a bike with Di2. Is it good? How's that working out for you?

I am a Shimano fan. Just haven't seen a bike with that being offered. Let alone on the trail.
I like it. Didn’t seek it out specifically but am not disappointed.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
never heard that term before, and I appreciate the nod. I was thinking more about planned obsolescence. For example, my bike runs a 7.875x2.25 (or 2.0) shock. Same shitty MFG pushed the "metric standard". Now no manufacturer is releasing their newer models in this size as now everything is 210x50, rather than 200x50. I find it very difficult to believe that 10mm with no change in stroke is revolutionizing shock technology, but I guess I'll rebuild my roco from 2008 instead of buying a new one. Thanks bike industry!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
never heard that term before, and I appreciate the nod. I was thinking more about planned obsolescence. For example, my bike runs a 7.875x2.25 (or 2.0) shock. Same shitty MFG pushed the "metric standard". Now no manufacturer is releasing their newer models in this size as now everything is 210x50, rather than 200x50. I find it very difficult to believe that 10mm with no change in stroke is revolutionizing shock technology, but I guess I'll rebuild my roco from 2008 instead of buying a new one. Thanks bike industry!
quit buying their shit

it just encourages them

there's pretty much nothing outside of maybe an ext shock that is an actual improvement to bikes since right around the time of metric shock sizes

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
quit buying their shit

it just encourages them

there's pretty much nothing outside of maybe an ext shock that is an actual improvement to bikes since right around the time of metric shock sizes
Only SRAM products I have are the AXS setup on my road bike (objectively the best system for road 1x12) and my MTB rear cassette. I sometimes run a 10 year old monarch plus too.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Objectively. I absolutely can't stand having to use your left hand to shift the rear mech up and your right hand to shift it back down.

I don't think anyone at SRAM even rides a road bike.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
From what I've heard. And this could have changed since then. The SRAM dudes in Colorado Springs are total bike geeks. I assume they ride everything. And free to do so. When did your company make you ride a bike at lunch time? :)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Had a lovely ride yesterday, 34 degrees and 95% humidity. Wool shirt didn't breath.
So yeah, just for shits and giggles, I wore my lightest jacket (it's barely a shell) with my "smart" wool base layer.

Fuck me, I sweat out like a hog. I'm convinced that people that claim they always "sweat out like a hog" in non-crazy humid climates are buying into the endless wool marketing crap. I'm not saying this is you at all, because you have a warmer wetter clime, but here, people will claim in the winter the just sweat out while riding in the dry snow. It's gotta be because they are loading down with wool layers when it's just not cold enough for that...and then they sweat out and get soaked, like I did today.

I do use these layers sometimes, but for specific stuff and most of the time, I'm on a stretchy synthetic and it's vastly different for wicking and "breathing"...like crazy different.

The smartwool marketing is absolute nonstop crap IMO.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
is colorado springs a euphamism for a cold ass office in chicago?
Hmm...I'm not a farmer's almanac, but I'd wager CO Springs is warmer than Chicago in February. And has more trails. Like real trails. Like right out your front door type real trails.

I'm not sure how they do it. SRAM HQ USA is Chicago? And CO Springs is technically Rock Shox? I think it used to be an old Sachs mfg place. Or do they work out of Paul Turner's garage (founder of RS, I hope I got that right. I'm getting old)?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
When did your company make you ride a bike at lunch time? :)
Every work day I ride a bike an hour there and an hour home. Then have the pleasure of riding other *peoples' bikes throughout the day.

*it's how I know just how much I dislike dumb shit like AXS road shiting

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I mean not really. This is an industry that has elastomer damped chainring bolts to damp chainslap, and isn't even active in the one scenario where it might actually do some good based on a principle that barely exists....

pretty consistent actually

which is to say dumb as fuck
UK O chain dist just went bust

Seems we're not as stupid as they thought

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So yeah, just for shits and giggles, I wore my lightest jacket (it's barely a shell) with my "smart" wool base layer.

Fuck me, I sweat out like a hog. I'm convinced that people that claim they always "sweat out like a hog" in non-crazy humid climates are buying into the endless wool marketing crap. I'm not saying this is you at all, because you have a warmer wetter clime, but here, people will claim in the winter the just sweat out while riding in the dry snow. It's gotta be because they are loading down with wool layers when it's just not cold enough for that...and then they sweat out and get soaked, like I did today.

I do use these layers sometimes, but for specific stuff and most of the time, I'm on a stretchy synthetic and it's vastly different for wicking and "breathing"...like crazy different.

The smartwool marketing is absolute nonstop crap IMO.
The advantage of wool is that it maintains insulating capabilities better than other natural fibers when wet. No idea if that is better or worse than synthetics but it is certainly a lot better than cotton. I can say good wool socks keep my feet warmer than anything else and those damn things are always sweating if not ice cold. I can also wear a pair of wool socks for a week without them smelling.