Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Banshee also had a post a few months back where they offered to hook up trail builders, which I took advantage of to add a 3rd Banshee to my current collection. But it will likely replace the other 2 I have. Still, it's another one of the reasons why I've had at least one Banshee bike in my fleet since 2010.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Banshee also had a post a few months back where they offered to hook up trail builders, which I took advantage of to add a 3rd Banshee to my current collection. But it will likely replace the other 2 I have. Still, it's another one of the reasons why I've had at least one Banshee bike in my fleet since 2010.
What'd you get?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
What'd you get?
Rune V3. The plan is to replace both my V2 Spitfire and Darkside with it. I've ridden the Darkside only once per year for the past 3 years because I'm just not going to bike parks anymore since there aren't any close by and it's too much bike to pedal around otherwise. And I haven't been riding my Spitfire much since now it feels kinda dated compared to my Trek Top Fuel, which is better for the local trails anyway. So I figured the Rune can be ridden locally on the few trails that justify it, plus taken to shuttle days or bike parks on the occasional trip. And I could re-use some Spitfire parts to build up the Rune since Banshee doesn't sell complete bikes but was able to supply some parts.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Rune V3. The plan is to replace both my V2 Spitfire and Darkside with it. I've ridden the Darkside only once per year for the past 3 years because I'm just not going to bike parks anymore since there aren't any close by and it's too much bike to pedal around otherwise. And I haven't been riding my Spitfire much since now it feels kinda dated compared to my Trek Top Fuel, which is better for the local trails anyway. So I figured the Rune can be ridden locally on the few trails that justify it, plus taken to shuttle days or bike parks on the occasional trip. And I could re-use some Spitfire parts to build up the Rune since Banshee doesn't sell complete bikes but was able to supply some parts.
Welcome to the water bottle club :brows:

The Rune should be good, I wonder what it'd be like with mixed wheels?

A modern "v3" Darkside would be wicked, that was always a great looking bike. Or just an updated mixed wheel Legend...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
How?

The number of people looking at new Banshee's is super low, its not like they are saturating the market.

The price of those frames were already high, so 12% is a few hundred dollars/pounds/weird dollar sign currency things/pounds etc. A used bike is going to sell for way less than that.
i wanted to sell at 1800 with unused shock to get bartered down to 1500 so i walk out even…

frame has maybe seen 15 days since i build it up?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
i wanted to sell at 1800 with unused shock to get bartered down to 1500 so i walk out even…

frame has maybe seen 15 days since i build it up?
Ride it more?

You basically drove a car off the dealer lot, ate the depreciation cost and are now trying to sell it. Of course you're going to lose on that one. :busted:

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Ride it more?

You basically drove a car off the dealer lot, ate the depreciation cost and are now trying to sell it. Of course you're going to lose on that one. :busted:
na, i‘m the dealer in that case, practically its still on the lot, just has some joy ride km on the clock ;) it was always just a intermediate thing till i got the next ebike

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Really guys? Props to Banshee for heavily discounting bikes like everyone else but convincing people they're just being altruistic in doing so. :clapping:
On one hand yeah on another they are pushing for this to be lowered for all dealers and it's MSRP. Sure they can raise msrp back up again but still it's a nice difference from trying to guilt you into buying shit on sale because it will end soon (when it wont)

@sethimus I am really curious. Titan is not what I'm looking for but this makes me curious

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I wish banshee would bring back the scream, and build the optimal free ride bike, since DH bikes have all become oil tanker long. 200mm travel, dual crown, mullet or full 27.5 with a flip chip, 420 chain stay, mid to upper 70s seat tube a dropper port (for when you gotta pedal to the free ride spot), basically the rest of the geo and suspension from the legend. Have the builds available with either DH drivetrain or dinner plate. They can use the term downduro in their marketing page even though is a free ride bike.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I wish banshee would bring back the scream, and build the optimal free ride bike, since DH bikes have all become oil tanker long. 200mm travel, dual crown, mullet or full 27.5 with a flip chip, 420 chain stay, mid to upper 70s seat tube a dropper port (for when you gotta pedal to the free ride spot), basically the rest of the geo and suspension from the legend. Have the builds available with either DH drivetrain or dinner plate. They can use the term downduro in their marketing page even though is a free ride bike.
Darkside exists. Also some bigger enduro bikes are this. Also the scream was a shit bike so lets not revive it.

Generally all they need is a slightly shorter reach if you want a playful bike. 420 CS is insanely short too. Imho way too short for 99.9% of aplications

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Just the scream name. Maybe go up to 430 on the CS if the axles path isn’t very rearward. The only big enduro bikes that seem to fit that bill are the nukeproof mega or the davinci chainsaw. The rest are either full 29er, have 440+ chain stays, not dual crown compatible, or aren’t “big” enduros and 160mm travel is a little silly with a dual crown.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Just the scream name. Maybe go up to 430 on the CS if the axles path isn’t very rearward. The only big enduro bikes that seem to fit that bill are the nukeproof mega or the davinci chainsaw. The rest are either full 29er, have 440+ chain stays, not dual crown compatible, or aren’t “big” enduros and 160mm travel is a little silly with a dual crown.
Again you are just asking for Banshee to make a mullet Darkside. A bike they just discontinued.

Why do you need a dual crown then? Also if you want not a super long 170mm travel bike that may be nice for jumps - YT Capra. It's literally that. Also Rocky Mountain Slayer comes in a Mullet.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
If you want not a super long 170mm travel bike that may be nice for jumps - YT Capra. It's literally that.
You know what nearly identical, but lighter frame just became really cheap on the used & NOS market? The '19-'23 Ransom. I replaced my '18 Capra with one and it felt very similar but much lighter. The 465mm reach of a large is considered short these days but what a playful bike! On something so light & nimble the 170mm travel doesn't feel dead, it encourages turning every square edge into a ramp.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
You know what nearly identical, but lighter frame just became really cheap on the used & NOS market? The '19-'23 Ransom. I replaced my '18 Capra with one and it felt very similar but much lighter. The 465mm reach of a large is considered short these days but what a playful bike! On something so light & nimble the 170mm travel doesn't feel dead, it encourages turning every square edge into a ramp.
I hated the Ransom. Maybe it was the components but the position on it was dogshit for me when I really like my current gen Capra

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I actually want that bike to replace a gambler, things I hate on it hate the small front wheel and the short reach. The overly complex linkage is pretty good besides being overly complex.

and I want a dual crown fork because I don’t want a single crown fork.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
nukeproof mega
I don't think I ever remember seeing the Mega listed anywhere as dual crown compatible.
Whereas the Giga (when first released) was. and to me would make more sense for your "want list". Geometry/sizing is pretty much the same.
You don't mention how short you want to go but Reach is a lot longer (per size) than an old Banshee. and because of NPs super steep seat angles they're pretty awful to ride seated if you size down. And I love short bikes.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I don't think I ever remember seeing the Mega listed anywhere as dual crown compatible.
Whereas the Giga (when first released) was. and to me would make more sense for your "want list". Geometry/sizing is pretty much the same.
You don't mention how short you want to go but Reach is a lot longer (per size) than an old Banshee. and because of NPs super steep seat angles they're pretty awful to ride seated if you size down. And I love short bikes.
I meant to say giga. Got them mixed up. Reach longer than the current 412ish of my medium gambler and a little less than the 455 of my trail bike, probably 445-450.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I meant to say giga. Got them mixed up. Reach longer than the current 412ish of my medium gambler and a little less than the 455 of my trail bike, probably 445-450.
Ah. Makes moar sense.
How tall are you? Which year/size Gambler is it?
I have a Giga but also build and service multiple Mega's and Giga's each week and have ridden every size of each so know the sizing (for me) incredibly well.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Ah. Makes moar sense.
How tall are you? Which year/size Gambler is it?
I have a Giga but also build and service multiple Mega's and Giga's each week and have ridden every size of each so know the sizing (for me) incredibly well.
5’6” but basically with a 5’10” upper body and arms. Current gambler is 2016 medium.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ps. if you're serious about a Giga there are actually multiple ways to run a 27.5 rear on them. ie. There are two wheelsize specific links but also two different length rear triangles (435 & 445. If going from a 290 to mullet you need to swap out the link (cheap) but you could do both without completely fucking up anything geometry wise (depending on your preferences). This works the other way too though so mine being an XL I run with the full 290 rear and link but have 27.5 and 29 rear wheels to swap. (the 27.5 now slackens, shortens n lowers it)... it mannies and jumps well but it's still in no way what I'd describe as playful. I still have an old medium 26" franken Capra for mega playfulness and a small 27.5 Emtb that absolutely loves rear wheel.

BTW. Slightly longer chainstays aren't actually half as detrimental to playfulness as longer reach and big wheels are. and suspension set-up and tyre pressure has an even greater effect.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I hated the Ransom. Maybe it was the components but the position on it was dogshit for me when I really like my current gen Capra
I haven't seen how the Capra changed from my 2nd gen (1st gen with 29" wheels) to the current 3rd gen. When comparing the geo of my Capra to the Ransom everything was identical except the seat tube angle (close enough to slide the saddle and make it the same). I liked both bikes in their "low" positions. The Capra had amazing suspension with a coil shock. The Ransom's suspension with its air shock felt almost as good, but much better when climbing or pedaling the flats.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
5’6” but basically with a 5’10” upper body and arms. Current gambler is 2016 medium.
Ah. now you're making sense to me.
I worked on a 2022 Gambler last thing yesterday. so still fresh in my mind. I don't remember what size it was but defo not short in any way.

You're definitely an "outlier" for modern geo/sizing. But I reckon you might get on fairly well with a M 27.5 Giga*. I'm 5'11" (normal proportions but v.wide shoulders) and my knees feel too close to the bars seated pedalling on M Nukeproofs and find the large nicely playful. I got the XL free and with a 180mm fork it's intended mainly as a replacement for my DH bikes.
Yes, I know Woo... But I don't even ride gnarly lift assisted DH as much as you anymore. ;)

*if you plan on fitting a dual crown fork. I'd go with the 297 and a 27.5 front wheel. already nerded a while back and geo would be sound with that set-up

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I haven't seen how the Capra changed from my 2nd gen (1st gen with 29" wheels) to the current 3rd gen. When comparing the geo of my Capra to the Ransom everything was identical except the seat tube angle (close enough to slide the saddle and make it the same). I liked both bikes in their "low" positions. The Capra had amazing suspension with a coil shock. The Ransom's suspension with its air shock felt almost as good, but much better when climbing or pedaling the flats.
Basically IIRC each gen reach moved up a size per seat tube height and each gen got a slightly slacker H/A. newest steeper SA. Leverage curve got less progressive through gens

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
On the ransom i felt like the bike had the wrong reach to stack ratio and the position was compromised AF. It was a stock rental with base shock susp. I didn't look into it but I hated it with all my heart. Generally Ransom is lower and Longer. Not by a lot but the bike felt shit for me (https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/scott-ransom-2019-lg-low,yt-capra-uncaged-2022-l/)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Different generation Gamblers with different reach.
Yeah. sorry. I know. That was my point. I've worked on the older ones too. Must've owned well over 300 bikes over the years but don't think I ever owned a Scott myself.
I do quite like the current gambler TBF.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
@Leafy
check my ransom with boxxer. I have a medium and my son has a small. He has his on 27.5 for both wheels to lower the frame as much as possible. He is bit too short for a size small. I recently posted a picture of it somewhere here. Lockouts have been removed since day one on both bikes. No dropper and now small cassettes made them dedicated bike park rides.
Good bikes, I wouldn't change!

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
do you mean the bars on a rental bike weren't optimally positioned for your preference?
Yes of course they were never going to be perfect but generally the geo on a stock bike felt completely unbalanced vs when i first rode a stock capra. So you have a valid point but cockpit alone shouldn't produce a differnce this big unless stock ransom cockpit had some weird shit going on (bar width is the same, don't remember other metrics as it was a long time ago). Generally the front-back weight distribution on that bike felt wrong.