Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah, I take my wheel off for the mastodon to put it in my truck, but it's such a PITA. You can't thread the axle in the fork without the wheel there, because of it's stupid design. It doesn't line up well when you put the axle in, so you gotta rotate it around a bunch. I have to crank them down a lot too, otherwise they loosen during riding. For the supposed "advantage"...it's a PITA comparatively. Simplicity rules here.
Yeah I agree, get a tiny bit of dirt on the aluminum bolt on the mezzer and it feels like you are doing very bad things to the fork when you tighten it.
And because it's captive it's a pain to clean.

I thought my bike had something weird happening that the rear axle was coming undone. Turned out it was just the Shimano hub with constantly variable preload, I fucking hate Shimano hubs!
It's fine with the Novatec.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Just buy a Banana sized Ziplock food bag. They're also "removable" and if you're only riding with a bananna once every 3months it'll probably outlast that 10yr warranty.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dunno about in other countries but use of the word "seen" in place of "saw" throughout the UK is generally more down to a person's accent, place of origin/upbringing than a lack of intelligence/education. (although there is also a class element to accent too) And the UK is kinda unique in that for such a small island accent, sayings and language used changes profusely between the East and West, North and South. Changes are gradual and subtle between neighbouring areas but to a local that subtle change is noticeable in as little as every few miles and very noticeably over as little as 30.
Snobbery about poor grammar is one thing. But being a snob over accent actually tends to show the snob up for lack of cultural intelligence/experience.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Sorry I couldn't manage the whole lesson from James Blunt's wee brother...
But you do know I'm not English. Eh?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Sorry I couldn't manage the whole lesson from James Blunt's wee brother...
But you do know I'm not English. Eh?
wasn't targeted at you. it's just that your comment reminded me of that video. there's a metric shit ton of videos on YT about regional pronunciations and where words came from. But I find his videos interesting from a linguistic perspective. it helps that in addition to the fact that my mom studied linguistics, she was from Normandy, from where a great deal of words and pronunciations came to your island... I guess I've always been fascinated by how languages evolve.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
wasn't targeted at you. it's just that your comment reminded me of that video. there's a metric shit ton of videos on YT about regional pronunciations and where words came from. But I find his videos interesting from a linguistic perspective. it helps that in addition to the fact that my mom studied linguistics, she was from Normandy, from where a great deal of words and pronunciations came to your island... I guess I've always been fascinated by how languages evolve.
This sounds like an Imperil shit ton actually.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
My ex, mother of my youngest child is from Brittany. And a high school languages teacher here in Scotland. Despite not being fluent in anything but English and not even finishing school I actually love language too. Just in a different way to you.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
WPL tubeless sealant and Continental tires. Just moved my bike yesterday since I hadn't touched it since the end of October and squeezed the rear tire. I still had around 10 psi in it after being still for more than 5 months. No sealant weepage anywhere. My E13 tire with used sidewalls was completely wet and there was a small puddle on the ground...

So it's either WPL's sealant that's good, or the new Contis that seal well, or both, but that's my new winning combo.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
WPL tubeless sealant and Continental tires. Just moved my bike yesterday since I hadn't touched it since the end of October and squeezed the rear tire. I still had around 10 psi in it after being still for more than 5 months. No sealant weepage anywhere. My E13 tire with used sidewalls was completely wet and there was a small puddle on the ground...

So it's either WPL's sealant that's good, or the new Contis that seal well, or both, but that's my new winning combo.
WTB sealant in delium tires still holding air since the end of bike park season in october.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, I take my wheel off for the mastodon to put it in my truck, but it's such a PITA. You can't thread the axle in the fork without the wheel there to just put the axle somewhere, because of it's stupid design. It doesn't line up well when you put the axle in, so you gotta rotate it around a bunch. It doesn't "grab" it's mechanism well. I have to crank them down a lot too, otherwise they loosen during riding. For the supposed "advantage"...it's a PITA comparatively. Simplicity rules here.
huh, i've never had any sort of issue operating my mattoc axle. am i doing it wrong?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
huh, i've never had any sort of issue operating my mattoc axle. am i doing it wrong?
The fact that it doesn't tighten from the direction you insert it is frustrating. If I remove a wheel, I can't just thread the axle into the fork by hand, that's frustrating. There are also times where I'm sitting there turning it with an allen wrench, and it just won't "grab" and tighten. IDK, it's just not worth the frustration/issues IME. I'd rather just have a 6mm no-frills axle that threads in, which is what I have on almost all my other forks. I think I have a QR maxle running around somewhere on one fork out of 6 or so and I think that one's on a rigid fork too, so everything else is just the simple tool-insert (like that for security if I lock it somewhere) axle. It always grabs, it can be inserted and secured without the wheel, it's simpler and lighter.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Novyparts publishing the dimensions of the moving seals for their Novya rear coil shock. In french, I know, but who is serious about downhill and doesn't speak French? :boss:
le joint de tige est un 12x2,5mm qualité nbr70
celui du guide tige est un 24x3mm nbr70
le racleur bleu est un Zurcon da22 en 12x18x4mm.
Why do they publish these dimensions? Because they think that think that every customer should be able to service its shock at home :clapping:

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Minor thing - but the new RM Altitude models all come specced with proper ODI ElitePro lock-on grips. I probably only noticed because they're my grip of choice, but nice to see.

Buying a $10-15 K bike that comes specced with "in-house" grips can feck right off.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Grips are like pedals in that respect. Very few complete bikes come with the riders preferrence.
Infact only complete dirt jump bikes seem to ever get it right for the majority of riders.

Eg.
ElitePro lock-on grips.
I'm really not a fan of

Ps. Did a last minute pro5 trials hub rear wheel build for a local influencers new zerode today.. Frame's well nice in the flesh

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Bike isn't built yet. He's been waiting on a few parts. Then flying straight off to the US to make cool videos

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Grips are like pedals in that respect. Very few complete bikes come with the riders preferrence.
Infact only complete dirt jump bikes seem to ever get it right for the majority of riders.

Eg.
I'm really not a fan of

Ps. Did a last minute pro5 trials hub rear wheel build for a local influencers new zerode today.. Frame's well nice in the flesh
Was going to get that frame, but got a GT Fury frame for a real deal, so couldnt pass that up. Plus Danny Hart…
Those Zerodes are a deal as well.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Minor thing - but the new RM Altitude models all come specced with proper ODI ElitePro lock-on grips. I probably only noticed because they're my grip of choice, but nice to see.

Buying a $10-15 K bike that comes specced with "in-house" grips can feck right off.
Fuck paying 10-15k for a bike!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Fuck lock on grips.