Quantcast

This is what's right with The Industry®

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've used those for years in the snow. They're kind of a half assed polarized setup which is why they work so well in low light. My fave too
Plus they cover up the scared crying look in my eyes so I can get banger shots for my influencer lifestyle

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Hopefully they test the springs before stamping the specs on them, but nowadays you never know...
That's not the way manufacturing works. For a given number of coils and a given wire gauge you should hit a given spring rate (plus minus some percentage) at the end of the production line. Sometimes the variation from production is so big that a adjacent spring rates will overlap each other. SAR claims 2-3% of variation on their offering meaning that a rated 500 lbs/in is somewhere between 485 and 515 lbs/in. A rated 475 will be between 460,75 and 489,25 lbs/in.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
That's not the way manufacturing works. For a given number of coils and a given wire gauge you should hit a given spring rate (plus minus some percentage) at the end of the production line. Sometimes the variation from production is so big that a adjacent spring rates will overlap each other. SAR claims 2-3% of variation on their offering meaning that a rated 500 lbs/in is somewhere between 485 and 515 lbs/in. A rated 475 will be between 460,75 and 489,25 lbs/in.
Yes I know how manufacturing works, but that was meant as a sarcastic comment about if you buy a 400 labeled spring and it ends up being a 450 or a 500.

Quality control has fallen down so much in the industry (in every industry) in the last few years that I wouldn’t even be surprised if they said « oh the 400 spring is in fact a 450 but fuck it just leave the spring labeled as a 400 and ship it to the customer anyway, they won’t notice. »

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Nice, that's damn good. Worlds better than the black Fox springs.... :thumbsdown:

On that topic, we have a spring rate tester at work and have been discussing offering a rate testing service.

Would the monkey world pay to have a coil tested for actual rate? $15 a spring worth it?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Nice, that's damn good. Worlds better than the black Fox springs.... :thumbsdown:

On that topic, we have a spring rate tester at work and have been discussing offering a rate testing service.

Would the monkey world pay to have a coil tested for actual rate? $15 a spring worth it?
I would pay 15 usd for that, yes
Do you calibrate these spring rate testers?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
When I was at Cane Creek we would pretty regularly do QC spring calibration tests on the VALT springs, it was super uncommon to see anything outside of ~2%.

Totally possible for one to have slipped through that was off by considerably more, but in general QC on them was pretty high. This was 3 years ago.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

$5 is what I'd pay for that. I mean if you have a black fox spring, $15 is almost a 3rd the price of it. Might as well just buy two springs at that cost.

But if its $5 for a walk-in thing, I'd probably end up buying something else small like lube or a coffee or something as well.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Smith Chromapop lenses. Finally gave up on my hate of tints and ran some. Good in full sun, somehow better than clears in the clouds and trees. Witchcraft
you ever use these frames?

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020

I've got a pair of those. Frame field of view is slightly better than the older Squad MTB design. They have an optional mesh filter to clip around the edges to help keep bugs and dirt out. The Chromapop Everyday Contrast Rose is pretty great for most riding. My only gripe with them is for some reason the lower part of the frame kept slipping off the 2 tabs nearest to the nose last weekend - not sure if it's installation error on my part or a design flaw.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've got a pair of those. Frame field of view is slightly better than the older Squad MTB design. They have an optional mesh filter to clip around the edges to help keep bugs and dirt out. The Chromapop Everyday Contrast Rose is pretty great for most riding. My only gripe with them is for some reason the lower part of the frame kept slipping off the 2 tabs nearest to the nose last weekend - not sure if it's installation error on my part or a design flaw.

I'm already a fanboy for those lenses. I was more asking about all the vents/airflow of the frames. A friend of mine was wearing those while working on a trail and somehow didn't fill them up with sweat. I was impressed. I was just curious if it was too much venting and led to eye watering when riding at speed.

konifere

Monkey
Dec 20, 2021
When I was at Cane Creek we would pretty regularly do QC spring calibration tests on the VALT springs, it was super uncommon to see anything outside of ~2%.

Totally possible for one to have slipped through that was off by considerably more, but in general QC on them was pretty high. This was 3 years ago.
So my CC Valt Progressive 450-550 spring should be on the money? I’m wondering because I can’t test it and I probably need to get a lighter rate.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
So my CC Valt Progressive 450-550 spring should be on the money? I’m wondering because I can’t test it and I probably need to get a lighter rate.
They were testing accurately when I left, I don't see any reason for them to have changed the mfg process so I'd imagine they still are now

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I'm already a fanboy for those lenses. I was more asking about all the vents/airflow of the frames. A friend of mine was wearing those while working on a trail and somehow didn't fill them up with sweat. I was impressed. I was just curious if it was too much venting and led to eye watering when riding at speed.
Nope, no eye watering. And yeah, they do clear fog remarkably well - I've worn them in pouring rain out here on the coast and they didn't fog up.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I

Had the old Squad and just got Squad XL. I tried the Rhythm but theyre kinda small and less vented than the Squad so I noped em.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
the rhythm is the one with no foam over the vents on the top and bottom

the venting is the point
Oh right. The Squad XL doesn't have covered vents and fit my helmet better so I went those anyway. The newer models felt much smaller

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Another awesome Industry thing is the dudes at Chromag. Bunch of legends - went in and met them and they hooked me up with a new Rizr stem at a great deal (literally half the Australian price). My buddy got a killer deal on their Rootdown frame because it had a paint blemish so they discounted it.

I laughed so hard when they showed him the blemish. I've bought so many bikes and frames brand new and full price that had far far worse blemishes but the the Chromag guys were like nah that's not going out the door and full price with a mark like that. Fuck I wish other brands had their QA levels.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
Another awesome Industry thing is the dudes at Chromag. Bunch of legends - went in and met them and they hooked me up with a new Rizr stem at a great deal (literally half the Australian price). My buddy got a killer deal on their Rootdown frame because it had a paint blemish so they discounted it.

I laughed so hard when they showed him the blemish. I've bought so many bikes and frames brand new and full price that had far far worse blemishes but the the Chromag guys were like nah that's not going out the door and full price with a mark like that. Fuck I wish other brands had their QA levels.
same same on my 2010 monk which had/has a weld blemish on the seat stube/top tube junction, still riding that bike regularly!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

One of the most hated shops in my area was trying to become the Chromag distributor and Chromag said no, made my day when I heard they got denied.
I ordered from Chromag years back when they had discounted stuff on Amazon, Cookie asked if I'd be fine paying them directly, Coz fuck giving money to Bezos. Something to that effect anyway.
They did shoot my "Will you be making any longer, lower, slacker frames soon?" down 10 plus years back with something like our pros like the frames so they must be good.
It was weird that they were pretty late to the decent hardtail geo party.

I'd love to try some Dagga pedals.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
One of the most hated shops in my area was trying to become the Chromag distributor and Chromag said no, made my day when I heard they got denied.
Oh - which shop? I feel every place has one shop that is just shit heels.

They did shoot my "Will you be making any longer, lower, slacker frames soon?" down 10 plus years back with something like our pros like the frames so they must be good.
Their current offerings are bloody nuts in that regard should you so wish to go that silly.

I'd love to try some Dagga pedals.
I nearly grabbed a set of their Contacts or Pressure pedals but I'm brutal on pedals and they're too nice to ruin with my rock clobbering ways. The Dagga looks like you'd need a blood donor if you fucked up.

Speaking of which the dude I went to Canada with slipped a Chunked (aussie brand) pedal on Wizard Burial Ground and we had to tape his calf back together. Sometimes pedal pins can be too gnarly