Quantcast

This can't be good- Big Hit

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
So I was just getting my 2003 Big Hit Expert ready for Killington today and I noticed something very bad. I was checking the drivetrain and noticed the hanger was bent, so i pulled it off and i went to put a new one on, but it wouldn't fit. The dropout was spread out so the space was too large and the hanger would not match up. About a week ago i noticed I had a really badly bent rear axle, so it looks like I know where the problem comes from.

Another problem is, I bought the frame used on this forum's Buy and sell, so I'm unsure whether I can get a Spec. warranty. What do I do?

I think I can get something together so I can ride today, but I'm not sure if I trust this thing, in the last 2 weeks I have had 1 bent axle, 1 bent profile spindle and now 1 bent big hit frame!

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I bought this frame because I was worried about breaking the Ellsworth Joker I bought new in 2001 and rode since with NO problems. Now after having about 5 rides, the big hit it is down for the count. I know I'm most likely not going to get a free replacement from warranty because I'm second owner, but I would like to get this thing running again, so any advice from someone experienced with specialized warranty would be helpful (maybe crash replacement for $$$?). Another option is the BETD route, but that is pricey...

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
check to see if the guy didnt register for the warranty when he had it, cause if he hasnt it than u can register for it as the original owner, also my friend bought a big hit and it had 6 of the 10 year warranty on it, all he did was call specialized

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Tenchiro
See if the guy you bought it from will warranty it for you.
Originally posted by freeriding101
check to see if the guy didnt register for the warranty when he had it, cause if he hasnt it than u can register for it as the original owner
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: That's one reason why bikes cost what they do. It's not all engineering and metal. It's to pay for warranty frames for those who don't have a rightful warranty claim but the company wants to be praised for "excellent customer service" rather than play it by the rules and get bashed online or in shops. The phrase "the squeaky wheel gets the grease" always comes to mind.

If Specialized hooks him up with a new stay for free or discount after telling them the truth that's fine it's their deal, but you guys recommending blatant lies are pretty damn shady.

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
2 of my friends just bought big hit frames, one called in and they gave him what was remaining of the original warranty and the other went on line and registered for the warranty because the guy he bought it from told him he hadnt registered for warranty and if my friend did he would get a full waranty , so im just saying it might be worth the call to see what info the have about the bike. and maybe the reason for bikes costing so much is because of ppl being ass holes about warranty and such but when you really think about it you get exactly what u pay for when your mountain biking.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
honestly, i dont think this is a warranty issue; a bent axle/dropout/insert random part here is VERY rarely due to manufacturing defect. the fact you bent a profile spindle :eek: suggest you are a heavy and/or abusive rider and, well **** happens when you're in this demographic - its not the fault of defective manufacturing. i see SO many illegitimate claims in this industry (esp cracked/broken frames) that companies chose to warranty for sake of good customer relations/image, but i dont think this practice is good for the industry; this leads to misguided warranty expectations on the part of the customer / higher prices / reduced profitibility for the manufacturer. it IS good to see companies offering no-fault/crash replacement programmes now; at least they can recoup their costs on sketchy claims and not be trashed on forums.

(haha - the bb has auto-expletive-delete! neat!)

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
2 of my friends just bought big hit frames, one called in and they gave him what was remaining of the original warranty and the other went on line and registered for the warranty because the guy he bought it from told him he hadnt registered for warranty and if my friend did he would get a full waranty , so im just saying it might be worth the call to see what info the have about the bike. and maybe the reason for bikes costing so much is because of ppl being ass holes about warranty and such but when you really think about it you get exactly what u pay for when your mountain biking.
It's definately worth the call. If he's honest like your one friend who actually called them is it might turn out great.

What do you mean about getting exactly what you pay for?

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
u buy a huffy for 75 dollars and you get 75 dolars out of it and it breaks, you pay 5000 dolars for a bike and you will get 5000 dolars out of it and then it breaks, exactly what you get what u pay for means

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
u buy a huffy for 75 dollars and you get 75 dolars out of it and it breaks, you pay 5000 dolars for a bike and you will get 5000 dolars out of it and then it breaks, exactly what you get what u pay for means
Not sure I understand you yet but anyways...

Compare a new $5k bike vs the same $5k bike, but sold used for only $3k. The guy buying new paid his $$ up front and spends little when/if something breaks (under warranty of course). The guy who saved his $$ up front should expect to spend it down the road when/if something breaks. No?

As far as bike companies and original-owner warranties go, reward those who reward you right? Take care of those who take care of you.

Bicyclist are spoiled by expecting warranty for everything. Just the other day a parent asked me if little Johnny's skidded-through tire was warranty. WTF?

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
what you just said is a better explination of what i was trying to say. you pay more and you get more, like warranty, you buy the bike new you get warranty you buy the bike used u might get warranty and you might get a P.O.S. that looks good. sure you pay more for brand new stuff, but you always feel safer cuase u know that some idiot didnt huck some huge drop and eat it, and **** up something that u cant see, making the new thing more trust worthy and even if something does break you still have the warranty, if something breaks on a used bike you have a chance to get help from the manufacturer but not as great of a chance that you would have if you bought it new. that is what i was trying to say, do u get it now?
:monkey:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Originally posted by Bulldog

Bicyclist are spoiled by expecting warranty for everything. Just the other day a parent asked me if little Johnny's skidded-through tire was warranty. WTF?
I warrentied a tioga Fat66 2.3 :D

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
anyways, you aint the original owner (original poster), you shouldn't even THINK about warrentying it, you're screwing the rest of us in multiple ways when you try to get away with that crap.

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
in what ways is registering a second hand frame that has not been registered screwing over every one else? dont get mad at me cause im really tired, sleep deprived is a better explination of how im feeling

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
how was the rubber rotten when u got it or something?
knobs were ripping off, not only that, but there were holes in the casing when they did, this was after only a couple weeks, and around the knobs the tread was delaminating from the casing...

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Whether a company replaces/repairs a frame for Owner A or Owner B, there isn't going to be any cost difference to them.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Fix it. You have a flared drop out, big deal. Take the closed loop of a large crescent wrench and hook the loop over the bent dropout portion. Bend using the minimum of force till the hanger will mount. Yes this is a ghetto fix, but you'll ride this very weekend this way.

Call spec. and see whats up. All you need is a seatstay, if you aren't picky on colors I'm sure theyt have plenty lying around:D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Call Spec or take it to a local dealer and have them call for you. Make no demands, just ask how you can get it fixed. They might warrantee it, they might not...in which case I'm sure you can buy a new seatstay yoke. In any case, make it clear you like your Specialized and would love to keep riding it.

Unfortunately, you'll probably have a long wait with either route. (and get a new bearing kit while you're at it, because you'll likely destroy the bearings in the old yoke removing them, unless you hacksaw them free from the old one, which was what I did.)

You can also probably scare up another used frame cheap these days. I don't know if the swingarms from various frame sizes are identical, but I'd hazard a guess that they are.

MD

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
Whether a company replaces/repairs a frame for Owner A or Owner B, there isn't going to be any cost difference to them.
They don't limit the warrenty to the original owner for no reason they do it because it saves them a lot of money.
Why buy a new frame when you could buy an old one, hit the dropout with a hammer and get sent a brand new frame.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by D_D
They don't limit the warrenty to the original owner for no reason they do it because it saves them a lot of money.
Why buy a new frame when you could buy an old one, hit the dropout with a hammer and get sent a brand new frame.
That makes no sense. The original owner could do the same thing if he wanted a new frame.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
My feeling is that if an item is going to be covered under the warranty, it shouldn't matter who owns the frame. A defect is a defect. The manufacturer got paid for their work, and just because you are owner B, you should still be able to rely on a quality product.

In the case of damge that occurs by use or on purpose, it probably won't be covered anyways.

Ifelloffabike

Monkey
Apr 14, 2003
Strong Island Ny
Originally posted by BurlySurly
That makes no sense. The original owner could do the same thing if he wanted a new frame.
the orginal owner payed full price for the frame already though.

The company shouldnt have to do anything if you didnt buy the frame from them.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
It's a big difference when you consider only one of those owners has a rightful warranty claim so that makes it $0 vs $whatever.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
My feeling is that if an item is going to be covered under the warranty, it shouldn't matter who owns the frame. A defect is a defect. The manufacturer got paid for their work, and just because you are owner B, you should still be able to rely on a quality product.

In the case of damge that occurs by use or on purpose, it probably won't be covered anyways.
1- Your feeling (or anyone's) doesn't really count, the wording of the warranty does. If you don't like a company's poilicy it's easy to avoid them, that's what I do.
2- Bent axles, bent dropouts, with mention of also bending Profile spindles doesn't sound like a defect. Sounds like the result of very hard riding to me.
3- The manufacturer got paid for their work by 1 purchaser. Giving free product to anyone else (non-original owner) puts them in the hole automatically. Taking care of the only one that supported them doesn't hurt nearly as much.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I'm not out to get something I don't deserve here, I did say warranty but i was more thinking along the lines of crash replacement. I'll tell them the truth and see what they have to say. I understand I bought it used and there are risks associated. Right now I'm probably interested in doing whatever is the cheapest fix, which probably means bending it back for now.

As for how I did it, I only weigh about 160, but I had a bad fall a few weeks ago, and I haven't ridden that bike since yesterday when I got the replacement spindle. So I'm assuming all these problems, bent spindle, bent axle, bent dropout all came from the same crash. I rode an Ellsworth Joker for quite a while with NO problems whatsoever, so its not as if I totally thrash stuff.

If anyone on here bought the BETD 26" stays and wants to get rid of their old 24" stays, I'd be interested.

Thanks for veryone's advice, and btw with the exception of one case of axle slippage it ran fine for 5 hours of riding today.

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
Originally posted by Discostu
I'm not out to get something I don't deserve here, I did say warranty but i was more thinking along the lines of crash replacement. I'll tell them the truth and see what they have to say. I understand I bought it used and there are risks associated. Right now I'm probably interested in doing whatever is the cheapest fix, which probably means bending it back for now.

As for how I did it, I only weigh about 160, but I had a bad fall a few weeks ago, and I haven't ridden that bike since yesterday when I got the replacement spindle. So I'm assuming all these problems, bent spindle, bent axle, bent dropout all came from the same crash. I rode an Ellsworth Joker for quite a while with NO problems whatsoever, so its not as if I totally thrash stuff.
I've been directing most of my comments at others, only using you as the experience. Glad to see you going the right route. :thumb:

Not to rub salt into the wounds but Crashing, along with Abuse, are the twin brothers of warranty claim denial. If they hook you up it's going above and beyond and that's super cool. Best of luck and thanks again for being a stand-up guy!