Quantcast

Thinking about picking up an RFX....

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
it's a 2002 18" RFX...frame looks to be in great shape. Who makes rocker plates for them? Are they still availble from Turner, or somewhere else? Doe's Turners warantee transfer to second owners? Anyone know the top tube length on the 18"?

Thanks

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
TT length on my 2003 is 23" effective; I think it was a smidge shorter on older ones.

Why do you want rocker plates? Does the frame not come with them, or is it that it comes with 5" plates and you want 6"? As far as I know, Turner has no more and no one has made production aftermarket rockers.

You can use an Avalanche (or other shock, but Avvy is the only one who makes the 7.5x2.25 as far as I know) with extended stroke for a bit of extra travel. I have one and it works fine, but I don't know how much it makes a difference over the stock shock.

MD

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
My buddy only recently picked up a set of 6" rockers from Turner themselves. Give them a call and see what they can do for you.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
MikeD said:
TT length on my 2003 is 23" effective; I think it was a smidge shorter on older ones.

Why do you want rocker plates? Does the frame not come with them, or is it that it comes with 5" plates and you want 6"? As far as I know, Turner has no more and no one has made production aftermarket rockers.

You can use an Avalanche (or other shock, but Avvy is the only one who makes the 7.5x2.25 as far as I know) with extended stroke for a bit of extra travel.

Thanks Mike, I thought 2002 was the last year for the RFX...Shows what I know :rolleyes: The frame I'm looking at does come with rocker plates, I'm not sure if they are 5" or 6". The reason I asked...If the frame comes with 5" plates I may want to use 6". I thought I saw a guy on mtbr selling his RFX with custom 7" rocker plates and an AVY.

Any major differences between 2002 and 2003 RFX?

Thanks,
mike67

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sheesh, maybe you're right. Actually, I think you are...I bought mine in 2003, but maybe it was a leftover 2002. I just don't think about this stuff anymore; I guess that means I shouldn't bother to comment, eh? I do know it was the last model year of the frame, and the TTs in the last model years were a little longer...but unless we're talking about a 2000-2001 model, I'm sure it's 23".

The 2002s and later didn't come with 5" rockers; I think those went away in 2001 except as a special order item. If the bike does have 5" plates, you can use a longer stroke shock and get a lower leverage ratio with near 6" travel...Bulldog has his this way.

I've considered dropping my Avvy for weight and getting the stock Vanilla RC overhauled at PUSH...

MD

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
MikeD said:
Sheesh, maybe you're right. Actually, I think you are...I bought mine in 2003, but maybe it was a leftover 2002. I just don't think about this stuff anymore; I guess that means I shouldn't bother to comment, eh? I do know it was the last model year of the frame, and the TTs in the last model years were a little longer...but unless we're talking about a 2000-2001 model, I'm sure it's 23".

The 2002s and later didn't come with 5" rockers; I think those went away in 2001 except as a special order item. If the bike does have 5" plates, you can use a longer stroke shock and get a lower leverage ratio with near 6" travel...Bulldog has his this way.

I've considered dropping my Avvy for weight and getting the stock Vanilla RC overhauled at PUSH...

MD

Mike, the guy emailed me back and said he has 5" & 6" rockers! Top tube measures 22.5". The frame I'm looking at comes with a Romic, I was thinking about adding an Avy, but the PUSHED Fox would be nice too. Thanks for your help.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
mike67 said:
Mike, the guy emailed me back and said he has 5" & 6" rockers! Top tube measures 22.5". The frame I'm looking at comes with a Romic, I was thinking about adding an Avy, but the PUSHED Fox would be nice too. Thanks for your help.
Sounds like a perfect buy! you get both rockers & a Romic - Throw a Pushed Fox on there & save the Romic as a backup....(I just got back from a week in BC and my Push'ed RFX performed incredibly on everything I threw at it right up to a about 14' drop) - the Push upgrade is the best thing I've done to my bike since I got it (although the Goodridge brake lines are pretty close behind)

I'm actually looking forward to the Highline coming out in the next year - it will probably become my Freeride bike, with the RFX getting a 6" single-crown for days I'm climbing a lot and then descending...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Sounds like a sweet deal. Congrats! You'll love it.

I'm still not sure if I'll PUSH the Fox eventually or not...I think it might be worth the few bucks to try it out. The bike is a real pig and could use a trimming...and other than my tires, stem, and shock, it's a light build.

MD

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
MikeD said:
Sounds like a sweet deal. Congrats! You'll love it.

I'm still not sure if I'll PUSH the Fox eventually or not...I think it might be worth the few bucks to try it out. The bike is a real pig and could use a trimming...and other than my tires, stem, and shock, it's a light build.

MD

Is $1000.00 Good deal? Not sure what they're going for.

Thanks
mike67

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That's a decent price if the bike's in good shape (and it's REALLY hard to kill one of these frames.) They hold a lot of value, and they're cultish, rare, and discontinued, so people seem to try and charge tremendous amounts for them at times. For a bike with a Romic and two sets of plates, it sounds good to me if you really want an RFX. If you just want a bike, well, there are cheaper ways to get a used 6" FSR bike (or even a new Azonic Saber or something for $1100-1200).

Got pics? What fork do you plan on running?

MD

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
mike67 said:
Is $1000.00 Good deal? Not sure what they're going for.

Thanks
mike67
Other than the plates and the Romic, what does it come with?

Like MikeD said, it's a pretty good deal considering RFX's aren't even made anymore - it's a tough frame, and a great design....

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
MikeD said:
That's a decent price if the bike's in good shape (and it's REALLY hard to kill one of these frames.) They hold a lot of value, and they're cultish, rare, and discontinued, so people seem to try and charge tremendous amounts for them at times. For a bike with a Romic and two sets of plates, it sounds good to me if you really want an RFX. If you just want a bike, well, there are cheaper ways to get a used 6" FSR bike (or even a new Azonic Saber or something for $1100-1200).

Got pics? What fork do you plan on running?

MD
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for a RFX for over a year......this may be the one. I have a Z150 and will soon have a 66RC as well. Whatcha think?

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
Macrider said:
Other than the plates and the Romic, what does it come with?

Like MikeD said, it's a pretty good deal considering RFX's aren't even made anymore - it's a tough frame, and a great design....
Complete bike or frame only.....I'm interested in the frame, I have lots of parts laying around to build with. So it's just the frame and both rocker sets.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
mike67 said:
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for a RFX for over a year......this may be the one. I have a Z150 and will soon have a 66RC as well. Whatcha think?

looks very clean - a Z150 is what I'd choose in a single-crown - sounds perfect...you're gonna love it

you can always get a Highline to throw on a double-crown & get your big drops on later....

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Looks friggin' sweet. I had mine with a 7" Super T, which I felt was too tall and awkward, then a 5" Dorado SC, which was PERFECT, but only gave 5" travel...now I have a 6" Slider and it's great. I think the Z150 might be a similar height or a tad taller. Should be great all-round.

My Dorado SC was the ultimate for slower, technical trails, including big drops and all, but I like the dual-crown more when I'm riding the lifts all summer and going fast.

Go for it!

MD

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Not to send buisness elsewhere, but MTBR has a good turner forum, althought its 99% 5 spot owners bitching about the new stickers.....

casey from turner is also there and answers Q's..... ive even read a few from Dave T himself......

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
On the red bike... is that a 1.5" headtube? Kind of looks like it.

My buddy have one, 6" rockers, Sliders in 7" tricked out with some king and Race Face stuff... nice bike. Perfect for riding the shore.

Macrider

Monkey
Oct 13, 2003
Los Angeles
Here's mine, doing what it does best up in BC...

what you can't see:

Med RFX (metallic grey)
Push Fox RC
Super T
Hayes hydros (8") w/RazorRocks levers & Goodridge lines
RF North Shore cranks
RF sig DH bb
RF Diabolis bar
RF seatpost
Chris King hubs on Mavic 3.1's - Stan's
Berzerker seat
Maxxis Minion 2.5's
Weyless pedals (until I get some bearings from Atomlabs ;_)

Clown Shoes...yeeeeehaaaaaa!

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
Macrider said:
Here's mine, doing what it does best up in BC...

what you can't see:

Med RFX (metallic grey)
Push Fox RC
Super T
Hayes hydros (8") w/RazorRocks levers & Goodridge lines
RF North Shore cranks
RF sig DH bb
RF Diabolis bar
RF seatpost
Chris King hubs on Mavic 3.1's - Stan's
Berzerker seat
Maxxis Minion 2.5's
Weyless pedals (until I get some bearings from Atomlabs ;_)

Clown Shoes...yeeeeehaaaaaa!
sick bike mate... i remember seeing a met grey rfx at interbike in 2001... insane

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ViolentVolante said:
dont be to sure of yourself mike :sneaky:
I know some people have them, but they're one-offs, no? Is someone making production runs of them?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
MikeD said:
I know some people have them, but they're one-offs, no? Is someone making production runs of them?
my machinist friend who does alot of bike stuff makes them, theyre not one offs, but not production either. Basically if ya want them you can get them

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What do the plates do to the geometry? That bike looks awfully tall, although it might just be the angle of the photo.

Brad23

Monkey
Jan 9, 2004
West Oakland
I paid $1500 for 02' RFX w/ Avalanche.
I need to get the avalanche revalved but I love it!!!!!!!
I have the steel sping and I believe its about 37lbs with no-tubes.
The 150z is a perfect match. Up and down it is freakin lovely!!!!!

Bottom line: GET IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You won't find a better bike. :thumb: :thumb:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Now you've got me thinking...perhaps tracking down a 7.25x2 Vanilla RC and having it pushed...that'd lower and slacken the bike for Big Bear and other DH riding...and I could put the other shock back in to adjust it for winter freeriding...hmmmmm