Quantcast

Thinking about new bars...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I've been thinking about getting some new bars for the road as I'm not entirely happy with what I've got (Salsa Short & Shallow). The drop is still a bit much for me and I can just barely reach the levers (I have really small hands...I have to basically hold the lever in a bit on the downhill so I can brake quickly) and when I get the tops where I want them, it seems like the drops are a bit low and the hoods are a bit far.

That leads me to think that maybe something like the 3T Ergosum or Ergonova, FSA Omega Compact or the Bontrager variable radius bars might work- they all seem to have somewhat similar bends and shorter drop/reach numbers. But I've never used any of these and don't know anyone who has. Experiences?

Another problem: I'd like to keep using 26.0 bars because I have a few stems for them and I like to slide my hands way to the inside of the bar sometimes (especially on the trainer). It seems like there isn't much out there anymore in 26.0, especially with newer-style bends...any ideas?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You are SOL if you want to keep 26.0 stuff, unfortunately. All that is left are a few ritchey bars, a few salsas, and NOS Nitto and Cinelli stuff that keeps getting unearthed.

You also aren't going to find a smaller bar than a Poco or Estrada. I have small hands too (size xs gloves), and I can tell you from experience, those bars are as short and shallow as it comes. That being said, that likely means that your stem position is the issue here. Shorter, higher with the stem, with the same bars. Cheaper too!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Like SD said, not many 26.0 bars out there. I do like the bend on the Ergosum, and want them, but I don't like carbon bars. I also don't like that I am riding Deda Newtons that are like 215 grams. I don't want to go to the 3T that weighs 250 grams. It is super retarded, but I don't want to add weight. I'm slow, but have a bike that weighs 16 lbs 6 oz with a Powertap and just don't want to add any. I'm gay like that. :D